Re: CM400C Cafe Garage Build - Seat complete - New Photos

Re: Re: My Precious - CM400C Cafe(ish) - Top Ended!

The nice thing about these bikes and motors is you can put the bottom end in the frame and then assemble the top end in the bike. If you are doing it yourself without any help. I have swapped 2 motors in and out and the one I did in pieces was easier then the whole motor, but both aren't bad. Nice work so far.

Re: My Precious - CM400C Cafe(ish) - Top Ended!

Heaps of progress today, 8 straight hours of bike time!

*Welded up the open tubes on the chopped frame
*Detabbed frame
*Chopped, fabbed and fit a new shorty rear fender
*finishing fit on the seat pan, and a grind and coat of rust paint
*Sorted out modified seat release levers so I can keep the original quick release seat
*Pulled the wheels and swingarm, front disc and sprocket to prep for paint
(swingarm bolt was STUCK stuck, needed two 4 foot breaker bars to get it loose)
*de-greased the frame, swingarm
*ditched the centre stand

It's almost ready to go back together 8)

Sunday will be: sand frame and other bits for paint, maybe first coat. Then degrease engine and assemble , it's getting paint too
More photos tomorrow.

Re: My Precious - CM400C Cafe(ish) - Top Ended!

As promised, a few more photos:

Chopped frame ends welded shut
001-paintprep.jpg

Degreased, needs some rust removal and sanding
002-paintprep.jpg

First coat of Black Satin
003-paintprep.jpg

Wheels being degreased
004-paintprep.jpg

Ugly but functional seat pan, rust painted and ready for upholstery.
005-paintprep.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Re: My Precious - CM400C Cafe(ish) - It's in Paint

Nice garage space. A well lit clean garage is good motivation to get out and do manly things.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Re: My Precious - CM400C Cafe - It's in Paint

It's hard to describe the lusciousness of the velvety satin black rattle can on my Comstars, it looks like liquid love. If I didn't know any better, I would think it was powdercoat (until it scratches of course)

Andrew%20Doran%20Photography-_ADP2818.jpg

Last edited:
Re: CM400C Cafe Garage Build - Getting close to back on the road

I got the top end rebuild finished, the engine back together, and adjusted the valve clearances last night. The valve clearences were all a bit tight, but just barely, It has been a while and a few thousand km since I did them. The assembly was all pretty straight forward, except the cam chain adjuster which got very much in the way of easy assembly.

I spend some more time degreasing and sanding the engine, and put several coast of engine enamel on the bottom of the case so I can get it back to right side up and paint up the top.

The chain side of the rear wheel didn't take paint as nicely as the front, I guess I has some residual grease on there. I thought I had gotten it all, but it was pretty gross before degreasing. I will have to re-sand, degrease some more, and paint again.

I feel like I'm making progress, maybe I will have in back on the road sooner than the (realistic plan) of the end of the month.

Great bike. I like the progress so far and to see the small potential of these bikes.

M.B Co said:
Nice garage space. A well lit clean garage is good motivation to get out and do manly things.

THANKS, It is a pleasure to have a place to work. As long as I keep it clean it will keep motivating me to keep working.

80% re-assembled today, and looking good! the new paint on the frame and rims looks great, like it just rolled out of the factory.

Still to do before getting it back on the road:

-new gasket for the clutch cover (or figure out how to use a ripped one)
-header extensions to replace the h-box
-find a new place to mount the rear turn signals (probably just on the shock mounts for now, I think I'm going to replace them with eagle eye LEDs)
-seat foam carving, and upholstery (not required for getting it on the road, but would be nice for my bum)

I still have some other things I want to do: move gauges, tidy some wiring, and controls, new idiot lights, front caliper rebuild, new master cylinder, forks rebuild, but those things I can do in a night or a weekend, in between summer rides. The immediate goal is to get it back on the road.

I am soooo close, here are a bunch of teaser photos: 8)

I picked up a little 6" bench grinder on sale for $30
AndrewDoranPhotography_140518_01.jpg

Used it to brush the grime off my header collars (before & after)
AndrewDoranPhotography_140518_02.jpg

Here they are on the bike with some new paint on the rusty old headers too
AndrewDoranPhotography_140518_03.jpg

Engine was painted last week and head fins sanded for pin striping
AndrewDoranPhotography_140518_04.jpg

Shiny starter, lower case, and oil filter cover
AndrewDoranPhotography_140518_05.jpg

Left cover brushed
AndrewDoranPhotography_140518_06.jpg

Right side shiny engine view
AndrewDoranPhotography_140518_07.jpg

Right cover
AndrewDoranPhotography_140518_08.jpg

Shaped a new seat on my customized stock seat pan. The seat maintains the original quick release. I glued the original seat foam to the modified seat pan and then used a 18 tooth per inch bi-metal hacksaw blade to cut to shape, and some 40 grit sandpaper on a sanding block to smooth the foam to my liking.
AndrewDoranPhotography_140518_09.jpg

I still need to add another layer of thin softer foam, I will glue it to the existing shaped seat and pan, and then a custom leather cover made from an $20 ebay bomber jacket will be added. (picked up leather needles and special thread for the wifes sewing machine today.
AndrewDoranPhotography_140518_10.jpg

Also chopped and reshaped the old rear fender into a shorty that can hold my John Deere Tractor tail light.
AndrewDoranPhotography_140518_11.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Re: CM400C Cafe Garage Build - Lots of progress New Teaser photos!

looks great, how did you mount the rear fender to the frame after you chopped it? What are you doing about your license plate?

wow loving that seat!!!

pukhkan said:
wow loving that seat!!!

Hopefully it will look a lot better by the end of the weekend!

imovertheinternet said:
looks great, how did you mount the rear fender to the frame after you chopped it? What are you doing about your license plate?

I chopped the frame just behind the original cross member that the fender bolts to. I cut the front of the fender down and used a BFH to shape it to fit the cross member. I used the two original mounting holes on the top, and drilled two more on the sides for four attachment points. I need to pick up some metric nuts and bolts to match the rest of the bike. Now it's just on there with some 8/32 machine screws I had lying around.

Eventually it will get stripped, shaped with some bondo, and painted to match the tank. Right now its good from afar, but far from good. will try to post some pics tomorrow.

License plate will just extend off the end of the fender. I'll make a bracket that attaches to the bolt that holds the tail light. It will be almost invisible side on, and looks OK from behind. Not sure what else I would do with it. Unfortunately I can't leave it off!

tick,, tick,, tick,, tick, BOOM!

She lives!

Back together today, crank for 5 seconds, and roar. It's a fair bit louder without the H-Box in the exhaust.

I am getting a bit of a hammering noise, so I will re-check the tappits, and the balancer chain adjustment (the culprit last time).

I took it around the block, and it seems to be running strong. I will renew the insurance on Monday, and give it a bit of a workout.

She's looking good by the way too. I'll post a photo once I get the leather on the seat. You'll have to wait! ;)

Nice progress.

Well, She's insured, back on the road. Still futzing with the seat, but I have the layer of soft foam on, and it's very comfy. Its been a bit of a busy week, so fighting to find time. At least I can ride though!

Re: CM400C Cafe Garage Build - Ready for Leather

Seafoam Seat Foam---Ready for Leather.

Seatfoam.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Re: CM400C Cafe Garage Build - Ready for Leather

Hey fury,

The build seems nice.
But for some reason I can't see pics? Tried going to the URLs and I get a 404 error on your portfolio page!

Re: Re: CM400C Cafe Garage Build - Ready for Leather

thesheikh said:
Hey fury,

The build seems nice.
But for some reason I can't see pics? Tried going to the URLs and I get a 404 error on your portfolio page!

Thanks for the heads up, they got lost in a server clean up. Fixed as of June 30th 2014.

:)

Back
Top Bottom