1976 Honda GL1000

most bearing and hydraulic supply houses have o ring cord and can make you one

this expensive kawi one is easy to find and works

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Kawasaki-Ninja-Engine-Cylinder-Head-43-7x1-9-O-Ring-88-08-ZX-KLF-ZR-Ninja-/310224530548?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483ad2ac74&vxp=mtr

So, today I finally felt a little less like crap and went out to poke at the bike again. I discovered that I'd left the fuel on and had gas in the cyilnders. Well, just two of them but obviously I've got a couple of floats that are either sticking or aren't set right.

Could all of this weird idle stuff be caused by a couple of sticking floats or bad float height?

I reckon them 'carb-u-raters' gonna haffta come back off then, mmm-hmm. Reckon I'ma haffta make sure em'ere floats is right.

Also check for gas in the oil.

To check the floats in the rack I rebuilt last year, I set up a supply tank with 91% isopropyl alcohol for float testing, and use a hand pump to pressurise up to about 7 psi. The alcohol is a bit less fire hazard, less smell, and yet will mix with gas and burn Ok. I had to redo ALL four float valves, and reposition the center plenum gasket.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Recently I met a semi-local Goldwing enthusiast. He heard about my woes and, as he'd restored several old Wings, took pitty on me and agreed to take a look at my carbs for me. He took them back apart and boiled each one before reassembling. I brought them home, put them on this evening and when I fired it up I got the same symptoms. I'm confused about this thing.

I'm gonna be moving soon. I don't have time or money to work on this thing right now. I also don't fancy trying to move it. If anyone is looking for a project or some parts for their project let me know.

Got a couple of people asking about the whole bike at the moment. If they don't pan out and I start selling off parts you've got first dibs on the side covers Mike. I believe that 75-79 body parts are all the same and they would fit.

Clear! *ZAP* beep...beep. Thread revived.

Never could sell it and was to busy with moving to try and part it out. My dad called me and said he has a friend who owns a bike shop and has done a lot of work on old GL's. He would take a look at it for me. This worked out since I had nowhere to store it anymore since I'm living in an apartment for the time being. Dad dropped it off for me, I called the guy and told him to get around to it when he could and let me know what he finds. That was in August. Saturday I heard that he had finally taken a look at it so I'm calling sometime today to see if he made any real progress.

Mine's been languishing in the garage for a year now. I did get the wiring harness rebuilt and have the foam on the seat pan awaiting the upholstery, but the heads both still need to come off for a valve job, and... Life gets in the way of motorcycles sometimes.

Thru the ether from my LP2

Took me a while to find a job, move, and get settled after school. Finally, I'm now living near Charlotte and have a decent shed again. The GL has been sitting at a shop since August but I'm going to retrieve it in a couple of weeks. The mechanic there made a few attempts to sort it out but couldn't figure out the issue. He agrees that it must be some manner of carburetor issue but isn't sure what. I'll bring it up here and start beating on it again. Only thing I can think of next is to find a known good set of carbs, throw them on, and see what happens.

This was supposed to be a quick fix up and ride kind of project but it's kind of gone off the rails. I hope to get the damn thing road worthy as soon as possible.

john

when you get it loaded up just bring me the damn thing for a week i am only 45 mins past you now in lexington

i feel bad reading about the struggle

you get it here i will have a look for you and get it running

cxman said:
john

when you get it loaded up just bring me the damn thing for a week i am only 45 mins past you now in lexington

i feel bad reading about the struggle

you get it here i will have a look for you and get it running

Sounds like a plan. PM me your number again and when I get it up here we will get together.

Back
Top Bottom