1976 Honda GL1000

Tried to call the shop with the rebuilt set today but got an answering machine.

Perhaps this is another option:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49631&p=524771#p524771

Waiting on parts and payday at the moment. Frustrating but there are a couple of bright spots.

My body panels are in pretty good shape. Need hinge pins for the top shelter and I will probably end up repainting them but the side covers have all their mounting tabs and screws. That's a plus.

Popped the points cover off just for shit and giggles. There's a Dyna-S under there. Score!

Tried to figure out why the headlight isn't working and got frustrated so I cleaned off some more of the dirt and grime. Did some research and have some more stuff to try with the headlight tomorrow.

THINK I've got a line on some carbs. Found a decent looking set off a 75 on ebay and I've got a bid in on them. After doing some research on Randakks it turns out the 75 and 76 models had the same emulsion tubes, they changed in 77. The rebuilt set is still an option but my cash supply is rather limited. I should have the timing belts tomorrow and I'll get to work on that.

Amen, Richard!

Nice score on the Dyna, and may the FleaBay gods smile upon your quest.

I'm pretty sure one of those DanMoto gauges will fit where the fuel gauge is currently, which will allow all the clocks to vanish, fwiw...

Bozz said:
I'm pretty sure one of those DanMoto gauges will fit where the fuel gauge is currently, which will allow all the clocks to vanish, fwiw...

Hmmm....That's a thought.

Went to pick up my timing belts today. Parts store ordered two but only got one in the shipment. Second one won't arrive until Monday. Dammit.

Can someone tell me what the purpose of four diodes mounted under the left side shelter is? Just looking at the wiring diagram I'm having a little trouble figuring out what they're for.

Without looking it up, off the top of my head you have 4 turn signals. The diodes keep to power from back feeding through the indicator on the cluster and lighting up the opposite side when on.

I'm missing one of the diodes. Not sure what it's for as the bike started up and ran alright. While I'm looking for carb parts and waiting on my timing belt I've been trying to get the headlight to work. I tried jumping the RLU and swapping diodes into the empty spot and still got no head light. I did a little research and saw that headlight power runs through the starter switch and turns the headlight out while the starter is running. I opened up the starter switch to take a look in at the contacts. Little did I know the starter switch would contain some tiny pieces. I'll clean everything up, figure out how to reassemble it and see what happens.

I had the same circuit on the CM450. Once I cleaned the starter all up and die-electric greased it it was good, light worked again.

I hope I can get the damn thing back together. There was some tiny pieces came out of there. Probably can't get out there to find out until Wednesday. Today and tomorrow I spend all day in school, then go straight to work and don't get off until about 10:00.

LOL, yes there is like 3-4 little plates and a spring goes under each etc. They are fun to get back together but cleaning it will help all kinds of little gremlins dissappear.

I have a few control switchs in my boxes of spares. So if you do come up short of any bits let me know and we can work some horse trading.

Got my other timing belt finally. Don't have to work tomorrow so I'll be able to get something done on the bike. I'll either mess with the switch or start on the timing belts.

Didn't win the ebay auction on a set of 75 carbs. I'm gonna go ahead and order the Randakk master rebuild kit. Might just throw those emulsion tubes back in there and see what happens.

Hurray! Timing belt time!

These were Honda belts so for all I know they were the originals.

Anyways, it took longer than I'd like to admit but I got the belts changed. Nothing to report than the usual bolts in awkward places, barked knuckles and wandering cam pulleys.

I other news a Naked Goldwing forum member sold me a set of emulsion tubes and my Randakks rebuild kit is on the way. Progress!

So today I managed to get the starter switch back together. It works, the engine turns over, but the head light still doesn't work. I'm a little bit baffled.

So everything that was chrome plated on this thing looks like this.

I wanna refinish them obviously but not sure how yet. I have access to a sandblaster at school. I guess the first step is to throw them in there and clean them up, after that not sure if I wanna polish the aluminum or paint them.

Spent most of my day at school working on this.

Rebuilding a Piper Cub.

Sandblasting will be too harsh on that aluminum. Though it looks pretty roached for soda blasting, might try Glass Beading.

Oh and I envy you on the Lil Piper. That is stinkin cool!

Perhaps I could clean them up by hand? Sanding and some kind of bit in a dremel tool?

The Cub has been fun. It belongs to Col. Klatt, an aerobatics pilot that does airshows. He bought it last year when he was at our local airshow, made deal with a bunch of his sponsors to get the materials donated and out school agreed to take on the project and do the work. Some members of my class volunteered to come in on our Fridays off and start getting it done.

Back
Top Bottom