1986 Yamaha SRX 600 - the mail order bike

620dark

You can always get it running with time or money.
Greetings and salutations my fine fellow DTTers. I'm starting a thread for the latest bad idea and my first Yamaha (hi Brad), a 1986 Yamaha SRX 600 / SRX-6.

The story behind this bike is a bit involved. My brother is out in California, and found a Craigslist post for a disassembled SRX near him. His daily ride is an '86 SRX, so he was intrigued, and ended up buying a nearly complete SRX in boxes. It was missing the tank, cylinder head, and carbs, as those had already been parted out when he bought it. He grabbed the rear fender to fix his bike, and after some jokes about shipping it out to me, he shipped it out to me.

It arrived in four large USPS flat rate boxes, and then three large Tupperwear boxes, a largish cardboard box for the front wheel, and a huge box for the frame.

Here are some of the parts:

I5ZMUukl.jpg

VPlCRLYl.jpg

Looks like I'm ready to ride!

SHBN3upl.jpg

I'm hoping to pick up a replacement engine out of an XT 600 this weekend, as that will probably be less expensive than an Ebay cylinder head and rocker box. Apparently fifth gear is shot in the SRX's transmission as well. Stand by for more progress!

Looks like fun.
That's how I bought my 400f.
It's a lot harder to build the bike when you've never seen one put together before!

Be careful riding without tires, it's slick out there ;D

The good news is I have seen one put together - my brother has one as his daily rider. I actually rode on the back of the thing after we dropped his old Monster off at the dealer for some ECU tune adjustments. Imagine a couple of 6' guys on that leeedle bike - it gave the mechanic at the dealer a good laugh ;D

I picked up a XT 550 or 600 motor for the head and some transmission bits this weekend and tore it down. It's in good shape, though the part I really care about is the cylinder head, as my SRX motor is missing that.

yrYU77bl.jpg

I'm going to mix and match the good parts from the two engines and build one nice motor. I will probably source a 5th gear from a later model XT600E, as they are apparently stronger. More to come!

Awesome.
I'll be watching this one 8)
Love a good big ass thumper

I don't want to know how much it cost to ship, heh. I am going to try to build something cool out of it though.

Does anyone know anything about the jetting needed to make a set of Ninja 250 carbs work with this motor? I understand it is a popular swap for the 1.5 carb set up that came factory, and I happen to have a set of Ninja 250 carbs in the basement. If that's not feasible, I'll probably look into the Grizzly single carb and "Y" manifold setup.

I need to measure the two jugs I have to see which one is in best shape. Hopefully one will just need a light hone and new rings. I do have a White Bros. connecting rod, but replacing the connecting rod requires a pretty large press. Still, leaving performance parts sitting in the box when I have a motor to put them in doesn't seem right ;D

The guy I bought the XT motor from has a valve machine and offered to cut the valves and seats for me, so I think I'll take him up on the offer when the motor gets closer to being back together. The nice thing about having only a single cylinder is that performance mods are much cheaper!

Back
Top Bottom