Made in USA? How many countries are US now?

Scooter trash

Been Around the Block
The front rim is from Indonesia, Showa forks, Cylinder castings China, machined here though, bearings from everywhere. It must be a struggle to keep made in America badge.

Attachments

• IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 217
I got so much flack from the Harley guys for putting Honda forks on my old ironhead chop.. even though the stockers were showa and the Honda ones were.... you guessed it... showa...

I was about to point that out Hurco. They have been using Japanese components for quite some time and most Harley snobs probably don't know that. What about forcing the government to put a displacement limit on import bikes in 85? I say just build a better bike to compete or be a chump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

The Toyota Tundra truck has 95% (Now 70% according to Edmonds and tied with ford F150) sourced or made in America parts, GM, Ford and Dodge are less than that I bet. I need to go look and see but folks still think the toyota is imported cause it has the big T on it instead of one of the big 3 emblems... although I think Toyota is now in the Big 3 isn't it?

Next closest was a GM at 66% then 60% for the next and the 5th had 45% not much made in America(Canada was used as well)

clem said:
I was about to point that out Hurco. They have been using Japanese components for quite some time and most Harley snobs probably don't know that. What about forcing the government to put a displacement limit on import bikes in 85? I say just build a better bike to compete or be a chump.

And their forcing of rule changes in AMA way back when. HD is a shell of what it once was. Do a little digging around and see how many foreign shareholders actually own the company. And with all their recent financial issues (recent 30% sales slump) and forays into the Asian and other foreign markets it likely won't be log until they're bought out by some overseas investment firm.

Shame is... I like HD. I like several of their bikes, and as a company their history is really terrific. I think they do more than probably anyone out there in regards to keeping their customer base happy and offering the "extras" that keep people lining up. But, their model hasn't really changed in decades and their target demographic is dying. They have the US industrial mentality of "stay the course". Buell was a terrific opportunity for them to broaden horizons so the speak, but it was never given the proper support or backing. As younger riders become older riders, and the choices in models across all manufacturers continues to grow, Harley will just be the lumbering giant left in the wake. Not everyone wants or can afford a $20,000+ cruiser anymore. Not when some rivals offer a comparable machine for way less that will actually outlast the HD (or at least cost less to keep alive). And in an ever more global marketplace, the average 30+ year old customer isn't screaming "give me American made or give me death" anymore. They want reliability and affordability. Add some styling that doesn't stem from 1973 and even better. I honestly hope ol' Willie G gets over himself here at some point and THE Co. becomes a real player again. I for one would LOVE to see them produce a proper standard motorcycle, or even better a real performance oriented one. I guess we shall see.

I've heard all this three times now in my life and Harley's still here, remember AMF was the death sentence... I look for HD to bring some new stuff soon, but we need to keep the Baggers and the Sporty around.

Accountant or red iron welder... I drink with them, they all just like the wind... its check writer runers from bar to bar on 1 year old bikes with 200 miles that I laugh at. Effing 22000$+ for a curb sitter ::)

HD will survive because of their image, that's why people buy them, I doubt if anyone thinks they're a particularly good motorcycle.
But people build cafe racers because they like the image, I bought a 1982 Z1000R because I like it's image.
If we bought bikes because they're good motorbikes we'd all be riding round on brand new Japanese commuter bikes.

julian.allard66 said:
HD will survive because of their ability to sell soft goods to people with a lot of expendable income who desire a rebellious image, that's why people buy them, I doubt if anyone thinks they're a particularly good motorcycle.

Fixed that.

So is this going to turn into a Harley basher thread?

Harley Davidson gave back... how many of you could bring a brand to such greatness? Sad.

clem said:

Oh so that's why the metric bikes can pump out the power that Harley does with half the size...

Tune-A-Fish said:
So is this going to turn into a Harley basher thread?

Harley Davidson gave back... how many of you could bring a brand to such greatness? Sad.
I still say they ruined the new roadking.

Ok, what happened to the seal that protects the wheel bearing? The spacer connects directly to the wheel bearing, which is a sealed bearing. The spacers aren't held in place by an outer seal. The bearing seal is all you get now. Nice, talk about Jap junk!

Attachments

• IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    936.4 KB · Views: 194
Tune-A-Fish said:
Oh? how so, I haven't been keeping up... looks okay: 103 twincam bagger scoot ???

5715b787964911e5a04922000ae41c10.jpg

Where did you find one with spoke wheels!?!? I looked on the website and could only find the mags.

9cacab6b8c9595347adf63c53c91cc97.jpg

I do not like this one bit, but the one you saw is nice. (I like Harley Davidson I just think they have the wrong people in charge right now. Like most companies these days they have no clue what people actually want.

Anyway I'm waiting for a) a not so ugly Valkyrie to be made, or b) Yamaha to bring back a big block Silverado.

lostboy said:
Where did you find one with spoke wheels!?!? I looked on the website and could only find the mags.

showroom floors are for compulsive eaters, it was likely a dealer order or a factory optioned bike

Tune-A-Fish said:
showroom floors are for compulsive eaters, it was likely a dealer order or a factory optioned bike
That's fucked up. I couldn't find spoke options anywhere on the website. Well good to know they're out there.

Back
Top Bottom