XV750 "Twisted Cafe" project. An ever evolving vision.

What I meant about my Buells relates to the mounting points using the engine as a stressed member being similar in configuration. It is surprising that the Buell's mounts conists of small aluminum dog bones. Like Rusy Olive's build, this is not a track weapon or a super sport race rep. And, there aren't many Virago forums out there. ViragoTech is the best I've found. Head gasket failure is simply not a topic ever discussed! I'm glad someone here who has done this mod has not experienced any issues in 3 years of daily riding. As I mentioned before, Koch has built multiple track bikes with chopped backbones.

Best bet .... listen to folks with actual hands-on experience with these bikes and modifications, with thousands of miles of seat time with these mods, and don't be swayed by hysterical hypothetical hyperbole .

Hmmm, must I spell it out? On the forum since February this year, 13 posts per day...20 days (16 percent of your life in the past 130 days) spent on this site... doesn't leave much time for wrenching and riding, and earning the dough to do either... no pics of bikes posted that you claim as your personal handiwork ( I admit I didn't look long, life is too short, gotta real motorcycle to build...).... no, definitely NOT you. Just trying to keep a like minded XV fan from being derailed by bogus imagineering.

Personally I'd love to see one of Swivel's bikes. Just one with some form of verification that he actually builds anything other than enmity.
(I was nice)

Because let's be frank, if ol'Swiv here is saying than an Sr could even remotely be faster (or quicker even) than an XV with it's one major bottleneck removed then I really need to have some proof.
Put up....

"this thing looks insane!!!"

Thank ya, sir. Things have finally kind of settled down in my household, kids getting a bit older (4, 21/2, and 6 mo.), a bit mo money coming in as well, and I am able to work on stuff that has been sitting for 2-3 years. I still have to do stuff at night after the kids are asleep and the house is picked up, and the kitchen cleaned, but somehow, I'm getting more bike stuff done. Hell, I can't believe I actually have an undertail for the DOHC 750! Anyway, I always knew the XV would look really different. I just have to let it tell me how it should look.

Re: Re: XV750 "Twisted Cafe" project. An ever evolving vision.

biker_reject said:
A bracket will have to be made and I'm thinking about the ignition lock mounting points on the GSXR top clamp as the new mounting point?
My 2003 lower triple clamp has holes in the underside where an air deflector was mounted. Farther apart than the ignition lock holes, should offer a more stable mount if yours has them.

I'll check first thing when I get home. I've had this on my desk at work all morning, just itching to go home and work on the front end again!

Attachments

• hub cover and tool.jpg
    hub cover and tool.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,630
Hey, I know that jug! Ha! Well, I'm at the point of no return, as they say. So, is it the engine movement within the backbone frame that will exacerbate the XV's penchant for blown head gaskets?

Drilled out hub cover that I went back and forth on using. While I was at it, I drilled out a couple of brake rotors. Up til 3 AM Fri night on the old drill press. Garage was a mess with all the shavings. Can't get over the spacers. Wow.

Attachments

• IMG_5274.JPG
    IMG_5274.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,470
  • IMG_5263.JPG
    IMG_5263.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 1,455
Hey, I found 2 more handy holes. These are in the bottom of the upper triple clamp to lock the clip-on rotation. I drilled the holes in the bottom triple clamp thru and have my mount roughed in:
[Edit: I won't pollute your thread with pics of my build. Here's a link if you want to see my bracket]:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=22735.new#new

As it sits. Case covers and close up of hub cover. Trying to decide on the seat. There are some nice steel seat cowls on fleabay or I'm also thinking about putting a (fiberglass) narrow profile seat in - like one made for a much smaller bike like a 350 or 200. What to do, what to do.

Attachments

• Wheel cover.jpg
    Wheel cover.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,241
  • right case cover.jpg
    right case cover.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,279
  • left case cover.jpg
    left case cover.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 309
i would go as short as possible with a very small seat bump and flat off the back of the tank... make it look as long and low as possible, hub cover looks great!

Great minds. I had been thinking the same thing. Originally, I wanted a high seat, but the more I study this thing, it's telling me to be low and long. I thought a seat made for a small displacement cafe (narrow), with the hump ending before the midpoint of the rear hub would look right. Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Problem is in not being able to try on more than one seat. Too bad there isn't a shop close by where I can pull them off the shelf and fit them! But, that would be too easy now, wouldn't it? Ha! I fit my cb750 seat on the XV just to get a perspective. It is way too wide, so I really do have to find a smaller seat, or make one. Wow, how weird. This is actually a reverse image!

Attachments

• seat mock up.jpg
    seat mock up.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,301
Back
Top Bottom