Is one better than the other - CL350 or CB360T

dean owens

Pittsboro, NC
This is a ways away but I can't help but plan and dream. Here's the quick and the background to the question.

My in-laws live on flat ground but have a lot of land. When we visit my father-in-law takes my oldest daughter out on the four-wheeler and has told her that he'll get her a four wheeler when she turns 6 (maybe it was 7). I'd like to have a bike to tool around with and leave at the in-law's place. So I don't need a major dirt bike.

This led me to really noticing the trackers on this site and wondering if I could do something like that. Originally thinking I could take the parts I have laying around from my CX project and make something. But I have a friend who left two bikes at the last house he lived in. Last he talked to the new owner they were still there. He's pretty sure I could get them with no problem. They are a CL350 and a CB360T. He told me the years but I can't remember. I want to say that one of them was a '72 and the other was a '74 but at this point I'm pulling numbers out of my rear.

All things being equal... if they are both in comparable condition and the engines/carbs are good on both... is there one that is "better" than the other? Is there one that would be better suited for what I'm looking for? I'm not worried about getting either of them on the street at this point. Just making sure they work, they have good suspension and tires that will make it easier to ride in the dirt with my daughter. I'm leaning towards the CL350 because of the pipes, but I'm very interested in hearing from you guys. And if neither has a better reputation than the other that's even better.

Thanks for the help guys.

Get the CL350, sell the CB360.

I could go on and on about why thats the way to go, but to sum it up:

The 350 is a better bike, and 1000x more plentiful (which means cheaper parts that are easier to find).

And on top of that the 350 is a "CL" model (the early enduro type) so you'll already have the high pipes and whatnot.

Get the 350.

Agreed, 360 top ends suck, they donwt have the power and handling of the 350, IMHO the 350 is a nicer looking engine. Plus the CL pipes are really cool!

Thanks for your help. When/if I get my hands on them I will give them a good check over. I'm hoping the CL will be in good condition.

I don't expect you to type it all out, but do you know of somewhere that would have the info that would make one say the 350 is better than the 360? This sort of stuff is interesting to me.

Again thank you very much.

ProSimex said:
Agreed, 360 top ends suck, they donwt have the power and handling of the 350, IMHO the 350 is a nicer looking engine. Plus the CL pipes are really cool!
well apparently you've just answered my question a bit. So the smaller engine has more power and is built better? Very interesting.

Well, the 360 was kind of an experiment by Honda.

It failed. Haha...

The top end (especially on the 74 model) is weak, and has oiling issues. They dont rev as high, they produce less power, the cam chain slippers fail (same on the 350 but MUCH cheaper to replace), they overheat, theyre slower, etc...

On the plus side though, if you have some dough to put into a 360 you can make a neat bike. Look at Crazy PJ or Kanticoys builds to see what can be done to a 360 motor, and Troybilts to see what can be done with the rest of one.

In the end though, the 350 is a much better bet for ya.

yeah, i've seen some really nice 360 projects on here. i was fully expecting a "this is such a dumb question... they are both great bikes" or "the 360 is the clear winner because of the bigger engine." i'm glad i asked. this has lead to me starting to do a bunch of searching around the net. even started learning what the various designations were used for by honda.

again, thanks a ton. i do appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom