DTT OG where are they now?

I knew Von Vinzer was an asshole but I always thought Swag's avatars were self portraits. I've dropped out of several forums because the way newbies are treated. If you don't know the answer you gotta ask the question. Here most of the time the questions tend to answered honestly.

I'm fortunate to have been around during part of the "cafe craze" in the British Isles. And its interesting to see how it evolved. Jap bikes have taken over so cafeing a Jap bike today makes perfect sense. Another cafe forum I visit has a phobia for clubmans. Mention clubmans and the attacks begin. Never could understand that. Clubmans were "legit" back then.

The one thing that does bother me is how Tritons tend to be held up as the "gold standard" of cafes. The truth being back then most of us were flat ass broke most of the time and our cafes were whatever we could make. No internet. No 1-800- send parts. Take a look at this photo. Shot in an alley in Dublin. The guy on the left has a good job. He can afford all the goodies. The guy on the right is "skint" (Irish slang for broke). His cafe is an old AJS with the bars turned upside down. Cafes varied in quality and one of the things I like about here is the fact that is understood there is no strict formula for cafe building.

Thanks for indulging an old fart.
photo155g.jpg

By weslake at 2010-12-19

hell i still rock clubmans on my builds... love when i have the cafe out and someone gives me shit for it... i just tell them it is my 9th bike i built this year, usually shuts them right up

i think that a better how to section would really help... i started on in the how to section and update it as much as i can and stuff is sent to me... but it really is not used very ofter, answers alot of these questions asked over and over

I kinda drifted away for a long bit... Finished my project at the time, got caught up in a bunch of GS Suzuki restos..hadnt built a "cafebobtrack" in a long while...

BUT, got the itch to build one again come this spring...already have the latest victim stripped down and waiting in the garage. I am honestly amazed how "advanced" this site has become. Last I was here, we had four inch patches and those were the big swag item....Now look. Ya grows up and ya grows up and ya grows up ;)

Good to see the place is still here... Glad the OGs still stop in from time to time. And yeah, this place started to get a little stupid with how the n00bs were treated when i was still visiting on the reg... hope its not that way anymore...

Bill this joint wouldn't be the same without you mate!
Same for the new kats, it's all about keeping the flow going ya know?

I caught myself getting tense and preparing to let fly a "Use the effing search noob!" response recently but stopped myself for one simple reason.

Everybody....and I mean EVERYBODY has to start sometime.

Nobody comes into anything with any kind of authority. Experience speaks, so when the new guy pipes up....shouldn't we? Speak I mean?
I'd rather pass along the best knowledge I can than see some poor kid sucked into the propagation of bullshit. And there's a load of it floating around out there.

Swagger said:
Bill this joint wouldn't be the same without you mate!
Same for the new kats, it's all about keeping the flow going ya know?

I caught myself getting tense and preparing to let fly a "Use the effing search noob!" response recently but stopped myself for one simple reason.

Everybody....and I mean EVERYBODY has to start sometime.

Nobody comes into anything with any kind of authority. Experience speaks, so when the new guy pipes up....shouldn't we? Speak I mean?
I'd rather pass along the best knowledge I can than see some poor kid sucked into the propagation of bullshit. And there's a load of it floating around out there.

No kiddin. Im on some one make forums (GSResources) and single model forums (ZRXOA) where "Use the damn search" is doled out with regularity, and rightfully so. They have a pretty thick list of "Newbs: DO THESE THINGS FIRST" how to's tutorials etc and you'll still get jokers on there with "Help, my bike wont start cold" or "What Jetting do I need?"

But when you get into a forum where there are makes of every model under the sun, ALL being hacked, slashed, lightened mangled morphed, etc etc then there are no GO TO answers, other than maybe "disassemble your carbs, soak in Berrymans for 24hrs, rinse, replace orings, seal intake boot leaks, check valve clearances, check timing,"

But when it comes to how to modify something...everyone has useful input...

Honestly, I dont even think its the repeat questions. Or even the "noob" (I hate that word) members that turns most off. Its the cookie cutter mentality that we ALL sometimes slip into. Combine that with the only kind of forum member that I fucking despise, the "this is my first bike and I fucking know everything so even though I ask, and you know, Im right, and youre not" type. We see a lot of that here due to the relative open arms of DTT in comparison to most places. You want to share what-the-fuck-ever you think is the raddest thing since the strip club started staying open till 2? Heres the place. When youre favorite bar has no bouncer, shit gets weird sometimes. Im weird, so I like weird. I dont like watching members being shit on for offering real world advice. That happens too often.

....she is rather spectacular, isn't she? I do feel a change in the air though...

i'm no OG on here in any way, but I imagine a lot of people who came on here with a project get a little sidetracked once it's finished. I pretty much stuck around ot post my daily devils

I'm not an original OG, but I've been here for awhile.

I'm one of the founding members of the W.E.Boyz in the GTA. Our riding group kinda faded some the last year or so. Life gets in the way I guess.

I still hang out at DTT several times a week, but mostly I just check out the "Loungin at da club" thread.

My builds have been sitting for quite awhile. There's too much going on in my life right now to devote much time or money to 'em.

Basically, I come here for a "smile." You guys still make me lol!! 8)

(and yes, Swagger's avatar is reason enough to hang out here)

Back
Top Bottom