Ducati engined café racer

HansS

Hi.
Found a really cheep Ducati S4R monster engine and some parts. So thought I build my self a Cafe racer. Something light and fun to zip to and from work.
I'm currently working on the frame jig.

Parts I got so far.
Duc S4R engine
Honda cbr 600 front and rear wheel.
Suzuki gsx 600r RSU fork.

Frame is going to be a light weight in CrMo made by me.

Fuel tank is going to be imola style aluminium tank made by me.

Swing don't know right now. I'll see what I can find and modify. I want dual shocks at the rear.

d098d8e22ff95f6d3f0bcd77542dcdcf.jpg

4a185d4892311b9203fe9e81a242481a.jpg

Drawings for the jig.
b81615dd1b48062d0b021a107f6c717c.jpg

Well that's it for now.
Need to go down to the workshop and continue with the frame jig.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using DO THE TON mobile app

I'm in also!
What sort of frame will you be building? Going to copy the original duc frame, something bimota-esque perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a bimota db2sr. I regret selling it. But I made drawings of the frame. And I made fiberglass molds so maybe another time.
No this frame will be narrower than a Ducati frame.
Something like this.

b097b7a0e9e2f4459559125911c5b259.jpg

HansS said:
I had a bimota db2sr. I regret selling it. But I made drawings of the frame. And I made fiberglass molds so maybe another time.
No this frame will be narrower than a Ducati frame.
Something like this.

b097b7a0e9e2f4459559125911c5b259.jpg

Ummm drool.... care to make 2 of them? That'd fit a m750 motor too right? Lol

Did some more on the jig. Drilled and taped 36 holes. Did some curved milling for locking the steering head angel. I can adjust it between 0 and 30 degree. More than necessary.
0a7fa337a3da363cbd6f9cd45f77ccf1.jpg

that looks a bit like an ss/sc frame. you won't have any access to the vertical head with a frame like that. unless you want to drop the engine to service it, you'll need to go around the vertical cylinder, not over it.

brad black said:
that looks a bit like an ss/sc frame. you won't have any access to the vertical head with a frame like that. unless you want to drop the engine to service it, you'll need to go around the vertical cylinder, not over it.
Yea something like that.
Well removing the engine is the best way on any Ducati when doing service. I did it on my bimota. I have a engine dolly that holds the engine then I just lift of the frame.

Well it's not going that fast right now. But some progress. Jig is almost ready.
Some minor parts has been made so I can start welding and figuring out how I want the frame. Chopped the steering head off the old Ducati frame. But notised a crack in it. So I need to make a new one. But it will work for now.
9a02e58b786a330b5c6c6a396bebe861.jpg

Been working on the buck for the gas tank. And bent some pipes. I'm trying different angles and length so this is just a test frame before I order the CrMo pipes.
abb5d5e2d31cdc54ef43c45fa74bf548.jpg

702b43660e20db2b30e0b7be8d30584b.jpg

Hi everyone. Short update. Progress is really slow right now. Some family stuff is interfering with the build.
But let's not worry about it. It will solve it self somehow.
So it's been slow as I said. Mainly because I been looking around on all the project on this site and now I got a lot of good ideas. Now I'm tying to mockup the bike so I can see the proportion. And get the seat and the clipons at the right height and so on.
So far I think I need to make the wheelbase a bit longer. Right now it's 1350mm. 24degrees fork rake and 100mm offset. I think rake and offset is ok. But the wheelbase need to be a bit longer. I'm a bit worried the front wheel is a bit close to the front cylinder. I think I need 50mm to 70mm more wheelbase.
Well that's about it.
62480643a3c53fbd5eb6278a83248b7e.jpg

Wow, this build is looking really awesome man. Love the frame design in CAD. Those frame geometry numbers seem pretty good to me. But by offset do you mean trail? Or maybe you mean offset, but trail is perhaps more important. If you can design your own triple clamps you can modify the offset and by changing the head angle you can adjust your trail (and rake too obviously). But as long as you have 100mm+ of trail, it's be a good handler. Anything much less than that would be a bit hairy.

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
Wow, this build is looking really awesome man. Love the frame design in CAD. Those frame geometry numbers seem pretty good to me. But by offset do you mean trail? Or maybe you mean offset, but trail is perhaps more important. If you can design your own triple clamps you can modify the offset and by changing the head angle you can adjust your trail (and rake too obviously). But as long as you have 100mm+ of trail, it's be a good handler. Anything much less than that would be a bit hairy.
Thanks.
Yea i like that frame too not mine thou.
I drawn mine in Catia, but it's still a work in progress. I will show it soon.
Yea trail was the word I was looking for.

New design of the frame. Don't like the rear. It's looks to heavy. So I stoped. Need to figure something out.
Need to get the seat area narrower.
Bungycord is where the shock goes.
Well back to the drawing board.
aefb9093b275722e4e8370e2674abf22.jpg

d88ea1afd94fe484ce3cf2dee3776a88.jpg

Back
Top Bottom