bending tubing

Z

Zookrocker

this completely doesnt belong in this section, but it seems like this is where everyone is hanging out tonight.

question: anyone ever tried bending tubing using the sand method, whereby you fill the length with sand to prevent kinking? If so please respond to this post or PM me...I have some questions. Thanks!

What size and wall thickness tube? The only right way to bend frame tube it with a bender with dies that won't kink it.

Ive bent tubing with sand and a torch befor it works great but have a gig and a extra set of hands. the sand soaks up the heat fast so the workable time is short

The trick is figuring out how to cap the ends and keep the sand compacted. Any void will allow it to shift and negates its purpose.

I did this decades ago, and it worked fine. Approximately 1 inch tubing with 1/8" wall. I welded a plate on one, packed it tightly with sand, and welded a plate on the other end. Heated bend area with large cherry burner (torch tip).

I did it pretty much the same way abstruse. Didn't work great the first time because my bending buck sucked. The second time I welded some pegs to my table and tacked the tube I was bending to the pegs to hold everything solid while I bent it. Worked OK

Back
Top Bottom