Any particular rules for the different styles of bike?

A lot of people are taking the piss out of this question because it doesn't matter. Unless you're restoring a bike to original factory specs, there's no rules except make it how you want.

As for bike naming, I've never done it. I don't feel that much of an affinity with machinery to name inanimate objects. I mean, it's not like I can call out my bikes' name and it will come to me or fetch the paper. Just me I guess.

But speaking of naming things, people have started to put names on their lunches in my work's kitchen fridge. Interesting. Yesterday I ate a sandwich named Kevin.

;D

Naming a Special is a tradition that goes back to the beginning of motorcycles (and cars). True its an inanimate object and true it won't fetch your paper. By the same token I can't take my dog to Bonneville and race it. My sidecar is named "Screwball". Early in the build when the frame was only tacked I was showing a friend the riding position, engine placement etc. He looked at me laying on the concrete garage floor and declared it "an effin' screwball idea." "Screwball" seemed a logical name.

I'm not hatin' on people who name their machinery Hoof - I'm just saying I don't do it.

Whatever floats your boat.

BTW - if your dog is a greyhound you can race him ;)

No hating assumed. And it would take more than a greyhound to haul my fat ass at Bonneville.

ray, The big button at the bottom of your keyboard is a space bar.... usually used after a comma or a period. ;)
Unless you are on a smartphone, then I haven't a clue. LOL

Hoosier Daddy said:
ray, The big button at the bottom of your keyboard is a space bar.... usually used after a comma or a period. ;)
Unless you are on a smartphone, then I haven't a clue. LOL
And the shift key is for capital letters. Like in a proper name. ;D Thanks sometimes get in a hurry to get that thought outta my head!

I'm going to split hairs here ............... there's giving a bike, car, whatever [ inanimate ] a human [ usually girlie ] name - and giving it a title.

Mable, Doris, whatever -"she" - that doesn't do it for me. But, to give something an actual individual title - Like Screwball, Vindicator, Cafe Creme, Scorpio.

It's like a major car manufacturer calling their car Linda or Jean. OK there was a Sharan in the UK, but I think the joke was lost on Volkswagon.

When I was a kid my bikes were "The Beeza" or "the Connie", not Rachel or Janice.

Title? Hmmm. That actually makes more sense with this thing. It has almost none of quirks associated with a 31 year old machine. Nothing to really give it a personality per se. Not a bad thing. Starts every morning, hauls my sorry ass to work. Long weekend trips never been a problem. Sorta fast, did the ton this morning. I think. 9200 R.P.M. in 5th gear. Not bad for an old bike with no major motor work. Something to think about thanks.

What's in a name?

Perry and Scott's "Stagefright" drag bike.

bikevscar.jpg

By weslake at 2012-04-06

George Brown's Vincents "Nero and Super Nero".

61793376.jpg

By weslake at 2012-07-05

Leo Payne's LSR Harley Sportster "The Turnip Eater". Turnip being his word for Triumph. Turnip was written in the Triumph script.
imagesturnipeater.jpg

By weslake at 2012-07-05

T.C. Chritian's "Hogslayer' This was his triple that I don't think he raced.

hogslayer.jpg

By weslake at 2012-07-05

Clem Johnson's "Barn Job" A most fabulous Vincent.

pics0100041lfh7.jpg

By weslake at 2007-04-21

Neville Higgins "The Heap". So named because it was built from a pile of junk he had laying around.
heap4.jpg

By weslake at 2012-07-05

Almost forgot. The newest bike to get a name. Tyler Malinky"s (Lowbrow Custom) LSR double Triumph "Double Vision". Almost too nice to take out on the salt.

topsecret1.jpg

By weslake at 2012-07-01

That's proper names Hoof - and young [ then ] Anthony Brown's Arrow Sprinter just peeping in next to Nero and Super Nero. Can't remember it's name, but being a 4 stroke snob even in those days - the Arrow didn't interest me at all.

Shelsley Walsh Hill Climb [ 1960 ] was the first time I saw Nero in the flesh.

I was all over his bike like a rash for the whole meeting and barely left his pit area - the proverbial PITA no doubt.

George later allowed me to cross over the barrier into the assembly area and sit on Nero.
What he actually said was - "Come over here kid and give us a hand" - whilst he had a quick fag ! He then went on to set FTD - in the rain.

One name does stick out as flying in the face of my theory - "Babs" - but then "she" did take the driver's head off.

Some bikes / cars are named after a particular trait - my 500cc reverse head Triumph Sprinter had no seat, just a metal seat hoop [ to save weight don't ya know ] - was named "Oomigooliebike".

Hoof, what was the inspiration for Double Vision? The wheels and colors are so much like the Trident that Alistair Laurie built in Scotland - donkeys ages ago.

Isn't the original Hogslayer in the National M/C museum in Brum? I'd swear I saw it there when I was last there after the fire.

teazer said:
Hoof, what was the inspiration for Double Vision? The wheels and colors are so much like the Trident that Alistair Laurie built in Scotland - donkeys ages ago.

Isn't the original Hogslayer in the National M/C museum in Brum? I'd swear I saw it there when I was last there after the fire.

I believe the original Hogslayer is in the National M/C museum. He built the triple but as far as I know it was never raced in anger.

I'm not certain about the inspiration to "Double Vision". Tyler's maiden visit to the salt was fraught with problems. Without question he builds beautiful bikes. And I have the feeling he thought build a beautiful bike and run a record. It didn't quite work that way but he and his brother were bitten by the salt bug. He returned last year to take care of "some unfinished business". Quite successfully too. Two records and his brother took home one as well.

Tyler is a tall guy and he makes a 750 Triumph look like a child's toy. I have been telling him (and anyone else that will listen) that drag is the killer of small capacity engines. We had a lot of fun trying to get him tucked in out of the wind. His record run had the handlebars tucked in behind the fairing to the point he nearly crashed at the start of what turned out to be a record run. But like I say the bug had bitten and Tyler is steeped in Triumph history. There have been a lot of double Triumphs over the years and I guess he wanted to be part of that history. Plus build a bike that fits him!!

I got an e-mail from him last year telling me of the idea and it went from there. As to the color I haven't a clue. I kept getting photos of bare metal being shaped into a stunning bike but it wasn't until he e-mailed a couple of photos last week that I knew the color. I'm looking forward to seeing it at Bonneville in a few weeks. Here's a video of its first start up.

http://youtu.be/pPwPBi-PZe8

As I said Tyler is a tall boy. P.S. the 750 he is towering over is named "Poison Ivy".

img1699r.jpg

By weslake at 2010-08-15

Back
Top Bottom