CB200 'project 354

vbroom

howdy cool cats

a coupla mates and myself have decided to embark on a group project to build a cafe racer.

We managed to get a regoed and running 1975 CB200 in fairly decent nick for its age. Also came with a whole spare bike as well! (seized engine) extra wheels, bottom end, forks + other bits and pieces.

this is as we picked it up

fb243933.jpg

c812f551.jpg

cdc0b599.jpg

b8c40bf8.jpg

and here is out first mock up for ideas

scheme1.jpg

so far we've bought a nitrohead style seat and a whole bunch of bearings. we're also shopping around for some rear shocks atm.

over the weekend we managed to strip the bike down and assess what needs to be done.

Our first goal is to rebuild it to a rolling chassis.

Stripping the complete bike was fairly straight forward. With the three of us we managed to get it done in around 4 hours

03cfccd9.jpg

ae0b2cd0.jpg

bcd7b74d.jpg

6e213108.jpg

354 stamped on the engine bracket :)

30d1c674.jpg

69571263.jpg

d3b020d2.jpg

8c422e48.jpg

all stripped down and ready to be rebuilt

Next task on the list is to clean up the frame/swingarm grind any unwanted bits off then blast and paint/powdercoat it.. Then onto the wheels.

Lovin' the Iphone shake it app.

I've got a nitro heads seat like that on my 175. Keep up the good work.

Super cool project with neat ideas! Keep the pictures coming as progress is made
Kev

Good to see another one getting worked on - and a couple buddies working together on 1 project.

postman pat came by today ;D

8ff465d4.jpg

and very shortly, we'll be receiving more goodies (seat, indicator ears and clipons)

the long weekend has come around so tomorrow we're gonna get together to chat about rearsets and start stripping and prepping the frame.

stay posted :)

Just a suggestion. You may want to delay powder coat until you work out the rear sets. They often require some tabs to be welded to teh frame.

The best way to build is to do a dry build and when everything is fitted and working and tested. Then, and only then does it get stripped again and painted.

BTW, if it takes 3 guys 4 hours to strip a bike, it will take 1 guy 2 hours. New math- gotta love it ;) ;D

Thanks for the suggestion...we've decided to give the painting a crack ourselves with the good ol rattle can.
and yup, we're gonna get all the parts first before we paint it.

so....over the long weekend we managed to knock the bloody axle bolt out and take the swingarm off....fark what a mission.

we ground and chiselled all the superfluous bits off, gave it a degreasing and half arsed sanded it back.

probably ended up shaving a good 300grams off it! every little bit helps in our bid to do the ton on this thing

eb15057f.jpg

this week we're expecting the seat unit to arrive in the post so pics of the first mockup to come soon!

Good to see you guys making a go of it.

Who gets the bike though ? I hope you guys are good friends....

IndieSol said:
Good to see you guys making a go of it.

Who gets the bike though ? I hope you guys are good friends....

we're all tight :)
we figure we'll cross that bridge when we get to it....either share it between us...or the one who wants it pays the other two out....or if we sell it we'll split the $.

s'all good though...it's not really about the money or who owns it. just something we can chillax together over :)

anyway, i got another visit from the postman today! woohoo

83a09f51.jpg

gonna chuck the seat & tank on tomorrow to see how she'll look.

thanks bud:)

so today we mocked it up and we're well pleased with the look.
the seat dimensions suit the tank/frame really well.

35087b4d.jpg

we spent a bit of time sanding it some more then decided we'd get the frame powdercoated....so packed it up and watched a movie instead. haha

we had a bit of a sit on it to get an idea of riding position...and how it'll feel with the kneedown :D

b4c6ad5f.jpg

0cf52d9d.jpg

yes...it really is that small!

next on the list is to get some brackets welded to the frame to attach the seat, figure out how to attach rearsets (and decide which rearsets to buy)...then powdercoat it.

Sweet Progress Guys!! I absolutely Love that last photo :D And yes they ARE that small!! Haven't made much progress on mine but its time to get rolling...

vbroom said:
over the weekend we managed to strip the bike down and assess what needs to be done.

Our first goal is to rebuild it to a rolling chassis.

Stripping the complete bike was fairly straight forward. With the three of us we managed to get it done in around 4 hours

03cfccd9.jpg

ae0b2cd0.jpg

bcd7b74d.jpg

6e213108.jpg

354 stamped on the engine bracket :)

30d1c674.jpg

69571263.jpg

d3b020d2.jpg

8c422e48.jpg

all stripped down and ready to be rebuilt

Next task on the list is to clean up the frame/swingarm grind any unwanted bits off then blast and paint/powdercoat it.. Then onto the wheels.

I'm a motorcycle enthusiast as well as a photographer. I couldn't help but notice your photographs; How do you give them that old school look. It looks like lomo but is it photoshop?

Pretty sure it's just some sort of iPhone/other smartphone app.

Bikes looking good. We'll see how a-ok the one bike three guys situation is after you all ride it for the first time ;)

we got some rearset goodness in the mail!

6fed874c.jpg

liomessi: yup its just an iphone app:) i dont want to pick up my camera most of the time when my fingers are covered in grease!

valvesprung: i got the seat from www.dimecitycycles.com. nothing but great service from them :)

Back
Top Bottom