CB750 K F and C parts interchangibility

Seanslides

I <3 GMR
ok, I'm a total noob to the cafe racer thing, and pretty much bikes in general

I'm into racing and modifiying of the four wheeled variety (mhmm I love me some RX7s...) and I've been working on cars for quite a while now

So,
being new to the bike scene, I know roughly nothing about what fits what, where to find parts, and or even who to talk to in my area

I'm looking for a CB750K or maybe an F and I'm wondering what parts interchange without to much trouble

specifically, can I slap on a CB750F swingarm with its rad disc brakes

and what can I do to make the whole thing stronger and stiffer

also, can I just slap in a twin cam motor, or is that an incredible pain in the ass

another thing, whats up with the CB750C, is the frame signicicantly different than the K or F models, and can I swap parts and cafe it out, or is it a lost cause

any help would be greatly appreciated, especially if you live in the southern california area

thanks guys,
-Sean

Seanslides said:
So, being new to the bike scene, I know roughly nothing about what fits what, where to find parts, and or even who to talk to in my area
I'm looking for a CB750K or maybe an F and I'm wondering what parts interchange without to much trouble
specifically, can I slap on a CB750F swingarm with its rad disc brakes
and what can I do to make the whole thing stronger and stiffer
also, can I just slap in a twin cam motor, or is that an incredible pain in the ass
another thing, whats up with the CB750C, is the frame signicicantly different than the K or F models, and can I swap parts and cafe it out, or is it a lost cause
any help would be greatly appreciated, especially if you live in the southern california area
thanks guys,
-Sean

Hey Sean,
Welcome to the forum.
Those a some very good questions.. Im just not sure where to begin...LOL.. There more than enough answers & opinions on your questions to fill a book!!

So to begin, about 75% of the parts in a cb750 SOHC from a 69-78 are interchangeable.

- The cb750f supersport & cb750K are pretty much the same bike, except for exhaust, tranny gearing, jets in the carbs, front & rear sprockets, tank & covers & seat, rear braking mechanism, and depending on the year cb750f (77&78), the front brakes are different as well as the rims.

- The frame between the F & K are also different regarding the passenger peg brace.

- You can very easily slap the cb750f rear disk set up on to a cb750K or vice-versa.
- but you would have to move over the entire MAster cylinder set-up & brake pedal mechanism, Unless you put in rear-sets.
- Im planning to put my spare cb750f rear master cylinder, rim & brake onto a cb450...

- The cb750 DOHC, (dual cams), is a totally different beast and a real-pain in the ass to move the motor over.
If you want that motor, it would be best to start with that bike...

- I've never heard of a cb750C.

- You can make the bike more stiffer by:
1. welding an additional rear frame brace
2. change the front springs to Progressive springs
3. lower the front end past the Tripple Clamp & put rear shocks from a cb900f or cb1100f on it.

Here's my cb750f:
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=1687.0

Good luck...

That being said

I too am baffled by the "C" model. I only know of the K, F & A (A being the automatic - don't go there).

I am buying everything Leon said above. Putting a rear disc brake on a bike that came standard with a drum does involve a bit a fab work. Both mounting a mastercylinder and getting the proper lever action. Typically the pull on a drum brake pedal is front to back and the for the disc it's up/down.

zixxerboy said:
I too am baffled by the "C" model. I only know of the K, F & A (A being the automatic - don't go there).

I am buying everything Leon said above. Putting a rear disc brake on a bike that came standard with a drum does involve a bit a fab work. Both mounting a mastercylinder and getting the proper lever action. Typically the pull on a drum brake pedal is front to back and the for the disc it's up/down.

Unless you just use the cb750f rear brake caliper, cb750f rim w/ rotor + a brake rearset that has a MC mounted to it like on a Gixxer rear brake lever.
Thats the set up I think Im gonna use on my cb550f. Im gonna mount the Gixxer rear set to the passenger peg on the cb550f and use a spare and newly rebuilt cb750f rear brake caliper + Rim & rotor.

c meaning custom model

not really cafe stuff...

pretty ugly, I'm not sure when they came out...

thanks for the answers!

btw, I bought a GS550

Back
Top Bottom