PE175 VMX

New cases arrived and rebuild looks like it is on the cards. However for now she will just have to sit there and look good till I get the GT on the road.
d10c7ebda3aa17be23a6122d4c1d2537.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Missed this thread a long while back. I bought a monoshock 1984 PE175 this past year, damn good bikes! Glad to see you’re enjoying yours- it’s shaping up and looking realllllllll nice.

New piston on its way after a month of searching. One old stock one left on a shelf in Canada. At the engineer at the moment getting head skimmed and bored. She’s going to be super fresh with power valves and new seals all round.

When I was working at Suzuki dealers we used to re-profile the reed stops to a (I think, can't remember) 8" or 10" diameter and about 50% more 'lift'.(just about touching case radius) o need to polish contact area with at least 600 grit afterwards. Make sure angle of port and reed block all match up. PE175 was first bike I ever managed a 'tail whip' on, my Yamaha 400 was way too heavy to learn on (plus I broke rear suspension trying ;D ) I don't like thinking about it too much though, makes me feel real old (almost 40 yrs ago :( )

crazypj said:
When I was working at Suzuki dealers we used to re-profile the reed stops to a (I think, can't remember) 8" or 10" diameter and about 50% more 'lift'.(just about touching case radius) o need to polish contact area with at least 600 grit afterwards. Make sure angle of port and reed block all match up. PE175 was first bike I ever managed a 'tail whip' on, my Yamaha 400 was way too heavy to learn on (plus I broke rear suspension trying ;D ) I don't like thinking about it too much though, makes me feel real old (almost 40 yrs ago :( )
hahahaha
Thanks for the advice mate will do

Engine is been rebuilt and is at the painters. Forgot to take pics sorry. Found the only 79 63.5 oversize piston in the world apparently and we are back in business. Also bought my baby a new heart.

Attachments

• IMG_4982.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 303
So a bit done. Engine back together painted and in. Bike re assembled and running. Now off to get tuned.

Attachments

• IMG_5104.JPG
    IMG_5104.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 298
  • IMG_5122.JPG
    IMG_5122.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_5129.JPG
    IMG_5129.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 301
So after taking her out for a test run she revved out in first gear and hit ban. But then second third it feels like it is under load and not reving out. Any help?

I think I mentioned a while ago, re-curve reed stops to get more lift and open up slots in block if needed. RM125 reed block is probably fitted, probably easier to get hold of. Reed stops are probably in the 8-10 mm lift range? Almost certain RM 250 fits but it's just too long ago for me to remember. I may not have worked on one since about 1981~82? When you get reed stops off check for match with cylinder base and re-profile for a smooth transition (didn't you already do that?)

Ok that makes a bit more sense. I think I’ll look at a stock replacement then. No I got the 175 reeds saw they where different so left the original ones on.

Personally always preferred the case reed induction on Suzuki's to the full reed on Yamaha's, did alot of work on RM's back in the day (working at Suzuki dealers I guess I would ;) )

Personally, I recon the PE's were the best looking bike of their time.
I have an IT200, which is a great bike but the PE's in my opinion look much better.
Great bike, hope you get her screaming soon.

Back
Top Bottom