Flying Brick - '87 BMW K75

durp

Been Around the Block
Truth be told, I actually bought and started this project a year ago. And since then, I had put it back together so my wife and I could enjoy riding on it together (since our other bikes are all single seaters/customs). But for now I'll post all the work I've done on it until that point, since I'm not at a point where I'm starting to dig back into it to properly finish this bike.

I bought this a year ago fro $650. It was in pretty bad shape, but it ran well enough and the motor sounded solid so I gave it a shot. Pretty glad I did.

Here it was when I bought it:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

After taking the bike apart, finally got to see how much crap there was to clean off. Some areas had up to an inch of caked on mud/grease!
1.jpg

Before and after of basic cleaning on the throttle body
2.jpg

Painted the motor block / valve cover / swing arm etc black
3.jpg

After cleaning out the throttle body and injectors, i started to put some stuff back together. Cleaned out the airboxes and a fresh coat of paint to cover up some faded plastic. Stripped the paint off of the fuel rail, shifter, brake pedal and a number of other things.
4.jpg

Powder coated frame and wheels
powder-coated-frame-gold.jpg

gold-powder-coat-1.jpg

gold-powder-coat-3.jpg

gold-powder-coat-4.jpg

k75.jpg

BIG K75 fan here . . . have had a K75 and K75RT for years and think they're the most robust platform BMW ever made. Nobody ever called them hot rods or called them torquey, but they will run any speed (that you have any business doing on the street), any time, anywhere. And you can run around in fourth or fifth gear at most speeds. Rock solid.

Like the frame color a lot.

Just love those Kays !!! 8)

Never did get round to owning a 75, but rode a couple and they were sweet.

I still have my Street Fighter 100 / 1100 ............. hmmmm must get it back on the road !

Attachments

• S ON AVON 186.jpg
    S ON AVON 186.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 625
Scrolling down, looking like a normal build thread and then BOOM! That gold frame, wow! Love it. Going to look great.

cookiemech said:
BIG K75 fan here . . . have had a K75 and K75RT for years and think they're the most robust platform BMW ever made. Nobody ever called them hot rods or called them torquey, but they will run any speed (that you have any business doing on the street), any time, anywhere. And you can run around in fourth or fifth gear at most speeds. Rock solid.

Couldn't agree more. The k75 even has plenty of power for fun as a solo rider. But I won't be keeping this one forever. After it's finished I'll enjoy it for a little while and then sell it. The only reason being that the 75 just doesn't have enough grunt when riding 2 up. My wife and I took this on a long weekend trip with some friends last fall and while the bike did a commendable job, it left me wishing it had more to offer when fully loaded + a passenger.

beachcomber said:
I still have my Street Fighter 100 / 1100 ............. hmmmm must get it back on the road!

Let me know if you wanna sell the 1100. I want to do a new project out of one of them

durp said:
Couldn't agree more. The k75 even has plenty of power for fun as a solo rider. But I won't be keeping this one forever. After it's finished I'll enjoy it for a little while and then sell it. The only reason being that the 75 just doesn't have enough grunt when riding 2 up. My wife and I took this on a long weekend trip with some friends last fall and while the bike did a commendable job, it left me wishing it had more to offer when fully loaded + a passenger.

Let me know if you wanna sell the 1100. I want to do a new project out of one of them

Where are you located ? I'm in the UK

Back
Top Bottom