xs650 Sumotrack

Well the built trans is in. Gotta finish the rephase on the cam and degree it in now.

Attachments

• 20190419_131051.jpg
    20190419_131051.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 284
  • 20190420_094152.jpg
    20190420_094152.jpg
    748.7 KB · Views: 278
That looks the best way to do cam, saw it on Chopper Underground a few years ago. Cutting and welding is real difficult as shaft distorts and can't be straightened as it just cracks. Don't remember how many attempts I had on mine before it was acceptable run out

I had a cam cut / welded, and shipped directly to a shop in California for a Shell #1 cam grind.

Got it back and there was too much run out on it.

So then I got a properly rephased cam from the guy who pioneered cutting / using positioning pins / bolting it back together. Had that one done with a nice cam profile and it worked a treat. Mrriggs was the guy for this back in 2011.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/rephasing-the-cam-shaft.7403/

How are you putting the cam back together? Did you drill the positioning holes before cutting?

I actually half way rephased this cam about a year ago. I put it in the mill/turn I was running and had it drill the 2 3hole patterns, then use a parting tool 90% of the way through. I finished parting it on my little lathe today and put it back together.

It has the .25" dowels to align it, the cam gear holds it together and if I get frisky I'll dig out a few aircraft drills to drill and tap it.

Not a great pic but tomorrow the cam comes out to fix it. As it sits with the head torqued and no base gasket it is 15* retarded. So I'll need to adjust the sprocket 7.5* to hit spec. Not too bad for a guesstimate putting the sprocket on the xs1 cam.

I'm going to wait till tomorrow to let the yamabond base gasket cure before messing with things.

Attachments

• 20190421_130138.jpg
    20190421_130138.jpg
    967.5 KB · Views: 287
Tim said:
I had a cam cut / welded, and shipped directly to a shop in California for a Shell #1 cam grind.

Got it back and there was too much run out on it.

So then I got a properly rephased cam from the guy who pioneered cutting / using positioning pins / bolting it back together. Had that one done with a nice cam profile and it worked a treat. Mrriggs was the guy for this back in 2011.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/rephasing-the-cam-shaft.7403/

How are you putting the cam back together? Did you drill the positioning holes before cutting?
Thanks Tim, had a brain fart and couldn't remember mriggs ???

Mrriggs is still active and rephasing cams on the xs forum. If I hadn't had access to all the tools to do it properly I would have gone through him.

Thought I screwed up adjusting the cam for a minute. Pressed the sprocket off, put it back on in the new spot and cam timing was 20* advanced. Started to get annoyed at myself until I stopped and realized that just meant I was a tooth off and it was dead on otherwise.

So today I finished cleaning all the gasket surfaces and installed a new head gasket and dropped the cam in for the last time. Just torqued it all up and tomorrow I'll get the engine back in the frame.

Well the new IAC is just waiting on a m6 tap to get here. And then within an hour it should run again.

Attachments

• 20190502_160747_HDR.jpg
    20190502_160747_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 283
  • 20190501_162653.jpg
    20190501_162653.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 271
Such a clean bike. I think the XS650 engine is one of the best lookin out there

The XS motor definitely lends itself to many styles of builds.

Thanks! I'm very happy with ho it came out. Got it started back up today and it does sound different with the XS1 cam in there. Gotta adjust the chain and I can take it for a spin.

Well, running and ready to ride. Still need to get a front fender on so the cops don't hassle me.
https://youtu.be/3yVqqjFXM-c

Very cool!
Have you ridden it yet, or are you still tweaking it?
Are you planning on tuning it on a dyno? Or seat of the pants?

I rode it some last year. I had it apart because it wasn't staying in 1st, and while the motor was out I swapped the cam as well. The tune it has was done by riding around a hilly area and making gross corrections myself and once close enough letting the autotune feature of tunerstudio being it close enough to let the wideband correct withing a few percent. I've been tweaking the startup and adjusting the IAC since the new one flows enough.

I want to get it on a dyno, but no one around me will do more than power pulls since they don't understand the ECU.

Well I've ridden this bike to and from work quite a bit lately. Had to fix a starter gear that shed a tooth, swap in a new o2 sensor and get the correct ford IAC. Now that all that is settled it starts great down to 50*, below that the lithium battery struggles. The tune looks pretty good, but on the 20th it is going in for dyno time.

Between now and the 20th I have to do a few things. I'm upgrading to an 8 disc clutch, sync the throttle bodies again just to be sure, already retorqued the head, check cam chain tension, check valve adjustment, and it'll be ready.

With the fuel injection, dyno will be money well spent. If anyone hasn't used a dyno with gas analyser, for carb or injection tuning, it tells you quite a lot after first pull, averaging makes setting a lot less painful with carbs and with injection, you can pretty much test things 'on the fly ' What would take weeks or months road testing can pretty much be done in less than an hour (depending how difficult your carbs are to get at) I'll be interested in the numbers and how well the system manages across the rpm range, acceleration and steady state (cruising) HP may be higher than with carbs as well?

Rat_ranger said:
The tune looks pretty good, but on the 20th it is going in for dyno time.

Is there a reason you feel the need to go to the dyno after having the "auto tune" for several hundred miles? Very curious about the efficacy of that feature, and it's ability to avoid the time and expense of a dyno tune.

Beautiful bike

I'm curious what it makes too.

As for why? Ignition can be tweaked a whole lot easier on a dyno with a det can, safer too. Plus it's hard to get long pulls at wide open without breaking plenty of laws. Overall the dyno is going to be for fine tuning ignition and the final tweaks on fueling. Plus it's simpler when you can stare at the laptop instead of checking a data log.

Got ya. For sure if you are tuning ignition as well, dyno is the way to go. My autotune (bazzaz) is not even capable of measuring ignition timing. I have changed exhaust and airbox so many times that returning to the dyno is prohibitively expensive.

Will be very interested in seeing what the dyno changes from your autotune base map!

Thanks for the reply

Well with the dyno coming up on tuesday I got busy. Valves adjusted, oil changed, throttle bodies synced, and clutch upgraded.

The clutch upgrade is an APE GS1000 extra plate kit, I just used the friction discs which are 2.5mm instead of 3. This allows you to put 8 in rather than 7, with just a .4mm increase in stack height. Between the extra friction area and the +15 EBC springs the clutch should hold a much hotter set up than I have.

Attachments

• 20190817_175112.jpg
    20190817_175112.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 250
  • 20190817_175116.jpg
    20190817_175116.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 257
  • 20190817_192934_HDR.jpg
    20190817_192934_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 264
Well it went to the dyno. Made 45hp and 36lb/ft. But then it decided that the rings on the right cylinder didn't like sealing. So the engine will come out and once I save up it'll go 700 big bore.
https://youtu.be/KS_qsYIs2u4

Attachments

• IMG_20190820_142757_223.jpg
    IMG_20190820_142757_223.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 248
Back
Top Bottom