How much horsepower is too much?

Scooter trash

Been Around the Block
The more you add, the more you need to add to keep it alive. The lockup clutch should be here next week, the stock one would only last to 8K rpm, on the dyno before it slipped.

It was an animal at 240hp with stock pistons, now......I'm afraid of it. :-[

Huh?

Attachments

• 20150306_233040_.jpg
    20150306_233040_.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,454
Scooter trash said:
The more you add, the more you need to add to keep it alive. The lockup clutch should be here next week, the stock one would only last to 8K rpm, on the dyno before it slipped.

It was an animal at 240hp with stock pistons, now......I'm afraid of it. :-[

If your only building motor to have dyno bragging rights, as much as you can get.
Modified Hayabusa's are around 700+bhp but no one rides them on the street

My Grandpappy used to say...
"Too much Horsepower? is like Too much Bacon?... There's no such thing.
But a good rule of thumb is: go until you puke, then back off by One" ;)

Damn, and here I am scared of the stock HP of an early 80's litre bike. I think that much horsepower would probably kill me.

Build a much HP as you want. Then bring it to Bonneville and see what it can do. Or Ohio or Loring. A gazillion HP on the street is only a penis enlarger.

When you can leave a black line from the exit of one corner to the entrance of the next corner, then you have enough.

Rusnak_322 said:
When you can leave a black line from the exit of one corner to the entrance of the next corner, then you have enough.

If you can leave a black line for a 1/4 mile is that too much?

Echo7BD said:
Damn, and here I am scared of the stock HP of an early 80's litre bike. I think that much horsepower would probably kill me.
I remember them as being fairly tame due to the vast weight, RD350s accelerated as quick.

I know that when I have a lot of HP I will (and not only be tempted) use them....how does it feel to have 100hp and plus on a old motorcycle?

Ryan Stecken said:
I know that when I have a lot of HP I will (and not only be tempted) use them....how does it feel to have 100hp and plus on a old motorcycle?
Depends on how old it is and what condition it's in, GSX1100s were fine, Z1000s were interesting and XS1100s were scary.

Ryan Stecken said:

^^^^^^^^^^^ hilarious and scary in equal amounts

i've got 125 hiding away in the 88 vmax and i can remember what it was like when i got it, spinning up the back wheel in a straight line, bucking and sliding round bends, no brakes, more fun than i'd ever had on 2 wheels
i've got stickier tyres, better brakes , better suspension, better riding position but those horsies still catch me out from time to time and i still want more, if anyone would like to lend me their Gen II Vmax (170+hp) i'd happily look after it for as long as needed
when i get the 750 honda going (836 really) i'm hoping its not too much of a letdown, but i think it'll be fun in a whole different way, more like getting back to riding a 250 on the edge

oh, and if you're scared of using all the horses, don't turn the throttle all the way round..........

If I take it to the Salt Flats, not enough power. That class is running 5-600 horsepower, waste of time on my part, Busa is the dominate bike. Mine will run a low 8 in the 1/4 mile still miles away from any record.

My 73 Triumph feels faster around 100 mph, you know it's maxed out for handling, the vibration lets you know it's about to grenade.

Suck it up buttercup, on my part, use only what I need. The other fear is $$$ if it breaks which it has.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    829.1 KB · Views: 198
I always look at it as lbs./HP ratio.

5/1 is where things starts getting fun. :D

3/1 restraint and discretion become the better part of valor. 8)

2/1 and above insanity is pretty much a prerequisite. :eek:

4eyes said:
I always look at it as lbs./HP ratio.

5/1 is where things starts getting fun. :D

3/1 restraint and discretion become the better part of valor. 8)

2/1 and above insanity is pretty much a prerequisite. :eek:
The bike is now 1.588/1, and yes I need to be insane. With 100 more HP than stage 1, little things like unwanted wheelies come to mind at 140mph.
My old H-2 Kawasaki could power wheelie in first gear with ease, that was fun! You could ride it like you stole it without breaking.
The turbo ZX-14 isn't fun. Is it going to break a chain, spew a rod, cost thousands of dollars to fix. I have more bike than money now.

Back
Top Bottom