1986 Yamaha Venture Royale "Project: Freightliner" DONE WITH BONUS TRAILER

Re: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale "Project: Freightliner"

jae said:
Hey there, I found your thread through a google search for info on de-linking the brakes, and when I saw the thread was on a forum called "dotheton" I just had to check it out.

I like what you've done with it so far, I think I'm kind of in the same camp you are though. Was 28 when I got mine (traded a '00 Buell M2 Cyclone for it), but it was for the sole purpose of doing a 5500 mile road trip last summer. It's now in the process of becoming an over-grown cafe/street fighter thing. I certainly don't fit in well on the Venture-specific boards.

Just curious if you'd happen to know the brake line lengths for the de-link kit. I've got different bars (superbike bars on short risers) now so I'm sure mine would be different, I'm just curious to find a starting point to get "in the ballpark".

First of all I would like to tell everyone sorry for no updates I have been so busy with work I have had no time. The project is complete except for a few minor things and I will get some pictures up of the finished freightliner. The bike has a couple hundred miles on her so far and man is she sweet. Jae, Sounds like you have a sweet project, I want to check it out and any help you need HMU. Second the line kit I used is a magnum "BYO" kit from dennis kirk, I dont know the exact lengths I am using but I run 2 separate lines from the MC to the calipers, 2 90deg banjo's, and 4 straighter banjo's, I think i bought 12ft roll of housing. Lastly I will say as for not fitting in on the venture specific boards I will say JOIN VENTURERIDER.ORG!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone is great, they will help you with anyway possible. There have been a few V-Max swaps and bobbers and we love them. The technical knowledge, tools, special deals, and great people are well worth it. This board is the best hands down for builders with great ideas and visions. DTT is the one for builders and custom work, VR is the one for all knowledge venture. Join both you will be welcome. HMU if you need any help in regards to your project & let me know if you join VR, I am luke000 as well on there.

Re: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale "Project: Freightliner"

And now as promised the final pictures. And my little final touch for it to really put the name "project freightliner"A TRAILER!!!! Yes I am almost sure this the first time a DTT bike has been equipped with a trailer. It is a Markland hitch, curt mfg tail light converter and a 1+7/8 ball. The trailer is A 40X48 trailer kit I bought at Harbor Freight, assembled the kit, converted the lights to LED, extended the tongue, attached a car top carrier (found in the garbage ;D), and cut and laid down some 1/8" diamond plate I had laying around, and added the first of two bike fork racks for mountain biking. I have plenty of room for everything I need to camp this summer. The trailer pulls like it is not even there (at city speeds)

And now some pictures of the trailer:

And now for my final (for now) pictures of my winter long project. I added studs that replaced handle bar nuts, machined by a fellow member at http://www.venturerider.org/forum/index.php the mounts are called "snaglestuds" and give the 1st gen Venture riders a way to mount accessories, I have a cup holder on right now and just waiting for my GPS mount to come. I also added driving lights.

1986 Yamaha Venture Royale "Project: Freightliner" DONE WITH BONUS TRAILER

Just walked outside to see if mine was still there. Look in the background. Same trailer and cartop carrier.
null_zpsdeedfd3b.jpg

Haha, Ventures and trailers... like Peanut Butter and Jelly...

563909_10102166310568130_470966662_n.jpg

I narrowed that HF trailer kit by about 4-6" and probably shortened it by about 4" (cut down to fit the topper exactly), extended the tongue about 20", added a rack for the cooler, and changed to LED lights. Ended up selling it for more than I had in it, and now that HF has a 25% off coupon good on the 4th I'm tempted to build another. It was certainly useful.

488272_10102307414659400_1304349404_n.jpg

551779_10102304249582240_1522814906_n.jpg

jae said:
Haha, Ventures and trailers... like Peanut Butter and Jelly...

I narrowed that HF trailer kit by about 4-6" and probably shortened it by about 4" (cut down to fit the topper exactly), extended the tongue about 20", added a rack for the cooler, and changed to LED lights. Ended up selling it for more than I had in it, and now that HF has a 25% off coupon good on the 4th I'm tempted to build another. It was certainly useful.

AWSOME!
2 things... the first is what mufflers are those and how do the sound? Roadkings? And second if it is OK with you I might have to steal the idea of the ammo can for my own ;)

Re: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale "Project: Freightliner" DONE WITH BONUS TRAILER

Dot worry about geting any flack I have a cb750 that I love but when it comes to eating up miles on the highway he venture is where it is at I have a 89 with a sidecar that I use for long trips and I love it it is like driving a recliner down the road

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom