1987 XR200R. red dirt redemption

irk miller said:
Mine is still in the barn. ???
All aboard the fail boat.
b4619ec72f546473571f444b3b5cb04a.gif

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

this will get that working right

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mikuni-26mm-Round-Slide-Carb-Carburetor-Carb-VM26-606/362558715507?epid=202964940&hash=item546a2ef673:g:KgQAAOSw8IpcYKLH:rk:14:pf:0

Spent some time chasing my tail trying to adjust the auto decomp within specs, but never got rid of the ticking sound. Got tired of it and decided I would just pull the whole decomp shebang and turned up a little block off plug. Got called inside before I could fire it up again and make sure that's what the nose was for sure.
db5fccad88b6ca3ddfaf6269d1680cbc.jpg
60b0bbe3f89c35136c56798b098076a9.jpg

irk miller said:
Hm. Now I definitely have to pull mine out of the barn. I don't remember it having a rectifier.

I didn't think the XRs did, either. XLs do.

Maybe someone tried to do a conversion at some point?

The weird part is that it it's mounted to what appears to be a stock bracket.

Are you guys talking about that finned thing by the tank mount? That is the regulator.

The PO of my XR200 had completely removed the decomp parts. Just filled the holes with bolts and lots of RTV. It took awhile to find all the little parts I needed to replace it on ebay. I should have just waited for you to remove yours! ;D

Sonreir said:
Weirdness. All the AC regulators I've ever seen are just a small box without fins.

I wonder if someone took a RR and just wired the regulator portion in.

MjAzNzc1MA-99a26b02.png

#9 is the regulator (REGULATOR, A.C. 31400-KR6-000)

It looks like the positions of the CDI box (3,4) and regulator are swapped.

I spent a bit today getting some things wrapped up on the old xr200. It took it's maiden voyage around the yard since the rebuild. The front brake is dragging and the rear chain slider is missing a big chunk, but otherwise it ran well and felt fairly strong. At least as strong as an xr200 can with a 250lb dude on it. Lenny liked it too, but Miss Cassy didn't think he was quite ready for a ride yet ;)

https://youtu.be/580GNxJcl0o
7e841d05b8db3d8977314aea743a0cc6.jpg

irk miller said:
Bubble wrap and packing tape. C'mon man, we got this.

Yeah, go for it. Judy and I will come down and keep Cassy occupied and looking the other way. Can't deny the little dude his first ride!

Ha, I fired up the scooter and Holly got all excited, she spent 2 hours watching me wrench on stuff this weekend.

irk miller said:
Bubble wrap and packing tape. C'mon man, we got this.
ridesolo said:
Yeah, go for it. Judy and I will come down and keep Cassy occupied and looking the other way. Can't deny the little dude his first ride!
So much combined wisdom ;) maybe by the end of the summer

Maritime said:
Ha, I fired up the scooter and Holly got all excited, she spent 2 hours watching me wrench on stuff this weekend.
I had some help in the garage the other day too.
c79f9a7210545dfb497f199adcda3093.jpg

Hey Hurco, where did you find the timing access plugs you installed on page six, and in your research do you recall coming across anything similar but looking a little more factory?

iatethepeach said:
Hey Hurco, where did you find the timing access plugs you installed on page six, and in your research do you recall coming across anything similar but looking a little more factory?
These are the ones:

PRO CAKEN CNC Engine Timing Plugs for CRF150R CRF250R CRF450R XR250 BAJA XR400 TRX400EX https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GL161JV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_C.fDDb12EQH3G

I really did want to find something closer to factory, but I couldn't find any and for the money I figured why not on these. They have worked just fine so far.

Those are very reasonably priced. If only they'd resisted the urge to lighten, badge, and anodize them.

I didn't realize the CRF, 250, and 400 all used the same plugs, so that's helpful. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom