1949 Ducati Cucciolo T2 - Stalled for the time being...

Re: 1949 Ducati Cucciolo T2 - Scored Some Brakes!

RotaryDane said:
Can throw you the equation for calculating spoke length if you need it :)
If needed I might be able to source some new stainless spokes and nipples, but don't know if you are up for new stuff. My school litterally has a wall pilled up with boxes of spokes ranging from 250mm to (at least) 300mm in length in intervals of 1mm, could probably convince the teachers to let go of some.

Mate if you can throw the calculator my way that'd be awesome, haven't looked for anything like that just yet.

As for spokes I'm going to try to re-use these ones as they're the real ridgy didge old items but are in good shape. I think they're a different thickness to modern ones too but I haven't measured or anything yet... been a bit slack in that regard.

massey65 said:
Cool bike can you get rings for the piston.

Thanks mate, I believe they can still be sourced around the place.

However I think the rings might be good, the edges are still quite sharp and look to have very little wear.

Well after (im)patiently waiting for 2 1/2 weeks I got the forks today... unfortunately that means back to the drawing board as they are actually too short... bugger!

2012100401.jpg

2012100402.jpg

You can see that the rake is really quite good, but the fork leg length is far too short. The tyre rubs against the bottom of the steerer, and the tyre's flat... oh well, I'll keep hunting.

Here's the NOS seat I got too, this seems to be ok and it has a real nice "new" leather smell to it also:

2012100403.jpg

2012100404.jpg

2012100405.jpg

I was really looking forward to starting to dismantle the wheels, but that will have to wait again now until I find another set of forks.

You need to use the original front forks so that its all original.

massey65 said:
You need to use the original front forks so that its all original.

That's the plan at the moment... trying to find a pair is the problem!

Sorry mate, but my memory is shorter than my dick...
What was wrong with the original pair in the pic?

Haha nice HD... but too much info! :p

The first problem is they're for 27" wheels so the mudguard doesn't sit properly and it hits the head of the motor when mounted.

The second problem is structural. If you look at the first photo in the post above, look closely at the top of the left leg (right side in the photo) and you'll see a bulge. That's a nice little crease there and they've also been bent back a touch after obviously front-ending something.

Re: 1949 Ducati Cucciolo T2 - Fork Hunting...

Just read this whole thread Pete. Great work! Ducatis have always been a big part of my life and for this reason I've ALWAYS wanted a Cucciolo...

Do you know anything of the history of the bike? Where did your old man get it from? Did he ride it?

Hope you can get it together soon!!

Thanks mate! I'm still stuck trying to find a pair of forks at the moment... driving me insane!

No idea on the history unfortunately... I keep meaning to ask my dad about it but keep forgetting... next time I talk to him I'll have to ask as I'm still curious about that. I suspect it's something he acquired a long time ago and just sat around doing nothing for many years...

I'm so keen to get moving on this again but I just can't get at it at the moment. Haven't even started on the shed I need to get the blasting done and of course there's still the fork situation... and now Christmas is looming so the budget will be very tight as well, although the main issue right now will be time once I get the forks.

And with the seasons changing to winter here, I'll be on the computer more to check in for updates. But then your perfect riding season will be there.
After buying my first part for the BSA from across the pond I have a new respect for the shipping rates and woes you have to deal with.

Hoosier Daddy said:
And with the seasons changing to winter here, I'll be on the computer more to check in for updates. But then your perfect riding season will be there.
After buying my first part for the BSA from across the pond I have a new respect for the shipping rates and woes you have to deal with.

Yes true... perfect riding weather at the moment but haven't gotten out much, too much work! Hopefully Saturday week I'll be heading for a run and then 18th November is the next big combined GSR/Kat forum run... looking forward to that!

Shipping definitely isn't cheap, but at the moment that's the least of my worries... haha

At least getting on the 450 takes my mind of the Duc sitting doing nothing...

So a lady with a pair of 28" forks has popped up but has been a bit sporadic with info over the last couple of weeks. The photo of them she sent through looks good though.

In the meantime, a fella not too far away from me messaged me on the bicycle forum offering a nearly complete Malvern Star 2 Star for a good price. It includes the frame, forks, 28" wheels, some more appropriate handlebars for what I want, and what appears to be a period correct head stem as well.

Going to pick the bicycle up next Sunday, but depending on price I'm thinking I'll still get the forks as well. That way I can do up two of these old bicycles... one to stick the Duc on and one to sell to recoup some project $$$'s. They seem to sell reasonably well on eBay when they're prettied up some.

Thanks mate, me too! Should be picking the 2 star up this avo hopefully. Haven't heard back from the sheila with the forks again but not too worried about that, I'll ping her this week again probably.

Hoosier Daddy said:

Nup not at all, although I have seen several links to that site... barely have time to keep up with here, GSR, and the Kat forum at the moment... ::)

However...

Picked the Malvern Star 2 Star up today, much better condition than what I have now! It has 28" x 1 3/8" wheels so I'll still use the 28" x 1 1/2" wheels I got a little while back.

8153670731_e06517c6e9_c.jpg

Serial number appears to be 06946 and I need to verify the age yet, but I suspect it's going to be a little earlier than the other one.

8153669305_c9e0de9de5_c.jpg

I haven't been able to get the right crank off yet which means the bottom bracket is still in and I can't bolt the motor to it, but holding the left crankcase cover up shows it's looking good for clearance:

8153669943_164213b28b_c.jpg

This is cool, it has a little lid on the bottom bracket grease nipple:

8153668129_b180ec0610_c.jpg

It seems to be original paint work and still has all the pinstriping but the decals appear to be gone:

8153698882_b2cb8668db_c.jpg

And tonight I got the left crank off, front wheel off, and seat off and started mocking it all up. Mudguards are on, new seat is on, and I put the front 28" x 1 1/2" wheel on:

8153698204_a79f188207_c.jpg

Re: 1949 Ducati Cucciolo T2 - The fork hunt is over!

Awesome find!
I think that little cap of the nipple is for oiling the bearings, I have some old machinery here that the user was to oil them before each use instead of grease.
I know what you mean about too many forums, I tend to jump around a lot, but DTT is home.

Cheers HD! And you could be right on the oiling as my use of the word "nipple" is actually incorrect, there's no nipple there.

The other frame has a grease nipple on it, but his one definitely just looks more like a covered hole that you would put oil in...

Very cool thread, watching.

Back
Top Bottom