CX500 "Bastardwing" - 24th June - It caught fire!!

Re: CX500 project "The Bastard Tourer" (Pic heavy)

Cheers Dan. It's a shame as the thing you'll find is it's as narrow and as high as it can go without exposing the frame rails. I'm in two minds as to what i'll be doing as the frame rails already have perfect mounting points for some pannier bag racks but they're limiting what i can do with the cowl. If i bring the cowl up any higher the frame rails will be exposed. What i should have said too is that the seat part will come down lower and there will be a "Line" running from the base of the tank to the rear of the cowl, only interrupted by the tops of the shocks. I can make the cowl taller and not as long if need be but i can't narrow it at all without cutting the frame rails, which i might end up doing.

Ah I see. Actually if you lower the line from the seat portion so it continues to the cowl area, I think it'll look pretty cool. You can continue the line from the tank since it doesn't sit level with the ground and that way it'll look integrated. I can't wait to see how that comes out.

If I remember correctly, the seat rails on the CX bikes are a lot like those on the CM frames. If you want some more ideas, take a look at my old build thread, I posted a bunch of links to CX and CM bikes with cool seats for my own inspiration.

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=10041.15

I debated for a long time what to do about the awkward shape and I finally just cut the high part of the seat mount off to create a lower profile. More recently, I've decided to leave part of the seat rails exposed to reduce the profile of the seat even more. Obviously that's a big commitment and it would mean never returning to stock, but it may be worth considering.

I think the seat you've got mocked up will be pretty cool once you get it glassed, it's always nice to see some original shapes.

Dan

I love the seat cowl! I say go with it bro! It looks sick as hell. It really ties the whole body together... much like the Dude's rug in The Big Lebowski. :)

Cheers for those links bud. It seems this one here is almost exactly what mine is looking like, except maybe a little shorter and rounder on top.
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=10782.0
This one's great.
http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/129337/ShowPost.aspx
I'm betting both of those bikes have the original frame rails attached still.

That rug really did tie the room together.....

Yeah, that green one is what I thought of when I saw your seat. I really dig the shape, it's definitely cafe-inspired but really different from what you usually see. I bet yours will look slick once it gets smoothed and painted.

Re: CX500 project "The Bastard Tourer" - Getting the seat shaped

I hope it looks good dcwp otherwise i'm just gonna hack the whole ass off this thing. The next bit of trouble is finding something to cover the foam with so the fibreglass resin doesn't eat it.
Well i went to the local landrover spares place to find another defender taillight to match the one i already have and i found something interesting... they melt...regularly. Every second one i found was either milky, cracked or melted, meaning they don't age well. So i need some new ideas for the taillight. I'm thinking of hidden led's or something. Get your photoshops out and bring on the ideas. Keep in mind it'd still need to be visible with a swag and bags on top and to the sides.

Ok so the other half has gone out for the night and i got a couple of beers into me. One thing leads to another and i've gently taken that foam block off and started cutting up the beer carton. I have to say i'm pretty bloody sold on this right now. It'd take some fine tuning including shaping in under the rear but the idea's there. I reckon it's got that "CX500 sports tourer bike if a CX500 was ever sold as a sports tourer but it wasn't" look about it. Turn signals were hanging around from its previous incarnation and the taillight is kicking about from the SR500 project. Both work quite well. Can i have a show of hands please? Is there a preference between this and the other thinger?
DSCF1793.jpg

DSCF1794.jpg

DSCF1791.jpg

DSCF1790.jpg

A couple more beverages, some scissors and a bit more cardboard. I'm liking this.
DSCF1796.jpg

Hey if there's a mod looking at this can i have this thread moved to the cafe section? I don't know if it really qualifies as a cafe but when the rearsets get done it'll be probably closer to a cafe than a bobber...

The cardboard looks good, but I'm all about the foam shape!

Well i've got enough florists foam here to make both and try em out... or were you being facetious? ;)

Deviant1 said:
The cardboard looks good, but I'm all about the foam shape!

Well it looks like the score is 1 : 1
I'm diggin the design with the cardboard.

Something about the one still in mockup isn't jiving for me with the rest of the bike... Is it narrower than the foam one? The foam one just goes with the fairing better in my humble and useless opinion. ;D
The cardboard one is still a great shape though. In fact the longer I look at it the more it grows on me... It just doesn't seem to complement the fairing and tank as well as the other one.

Yo Staffy, I thought your plan was to build a small trunk of sorts to go behind your solo seat.....did I miss something?
Seems like you're in the perfect place to accomplish that right now. T'would be relatively simple too...

I don't know if you can make it out Deviant but there's some texta on the cardboard one marking out where i want to put a scallop of sorts. I was thinking that'd tie in nicely with the fairing. Once i get the foam plug sorted it may be a little more obvious.

Yeah it's still on the cards swagger but i'm thinking that i've always been ok with a backpack so why not carry on using one. I do need a spot for some tools, puncture kit, maybe some gloves etc so i want to still make that happen in the final shape of what i end up making. I think it'll end up being accessed through the front by pulling the pad away or something.

Staffy said:
I don't know if you can make it out Deviant but there's some texta on the cardboard one marking out where i want to put a scallop of sorts. I was thinking that'd tie in nicely with the fairing. Once i get the foam plug sorted it may be a little more obvious.

Yeah it's still on the cards swagger but i'm thinking that i've always been ok with a backpack so why not carry on using one. I do need a spot for some tools, puncture kit, maybe some gloves etc so i want to still make that happen in the final shape of what i end up making. I think it'll end up being accessed through the front by pulling the pad away or something.

Gotcha! My first streetbike was a honda CJ360 and it had a little storage space st up just like that...good idea!

Every bike needs a hidey hole. :D

i like how narrow the cardboard tail is.

It's gonna be narrower dcm.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!! Video update!!! Hasn't been one of these in a while... so much easier than typing, takes up less room than photos.

Part one, next vid up later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21bA2kubo0g

And here's part 2.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPNr-XGT9eI

Back
Top Bottom