Top Ten Boneheaded Novice Builder Mistakes

trek97 said:
AND speaking of torque wrenches...

TRIPLE TREE CLAMPS.

How many "wanted" ads are there for triple trees because "mine snapped while I was out for a ride with my friend and I was only going 35mph and didn't even hit a bump, just snapped almost halfway from the tightening bolt" "no idea why, must be old shitty metal".... Completely ignorant to the fact that the manual calls for 17ft lbs of torque and they just put 147ft lbs of torque because "I didn't want the front end to fall off while I was riding it"... Torque values are very important.. If your wrenching on automotive anything and don't have a torque wrench, it's pretty safe to say you're an idiot.

mark13018 said:
How many "wanted" ads are there for triple trees because "mine snapped while I was out for a ride with my friend and I was only going 35mph and didn't even hit a bump, just snapped almost halfway from the tightening bolt" "no idea why, must be old shitty metal".... Completely ignorant to the fact that the manual calls for 17ft lbs of torque and they just put 147ft lbs of torque because "I didn't want the front end to fall off while I was riding it"... Torque values are very important.. If your wrenching on automotive anything and don't have a torque wrench, it's pretty safe to say you're an idiot.

Another big reason for the trees breaking is that they forget to put in that D-shaped washer/spacer in the gap. Very easy to over-tighten then.

HerrDeacon said:
Another big reason for the trees breaking is that they forget to put in that D-shaped washer/spacer in the gap. Very easy to over-tighten then.

I have absolutely NO IDEA, what you are speaking of....Did Honda do this? My bike didnt have anything in there.
Im not saying...it never had anything...obviously No idea what PO did.

Nothing on parts fiche for my bike.

trek97 said:
I have absolutely NO IDEA, what you are speaking of....Did Honda do this? My bike didnt have anything in there.
Im not saying...it never had anything...obviously No idea what PO did.

I'm claiming ignorance to this one also. I've even owned some of the same bikes as Deac and never seen one. Don't even remember seeing them on any diagram or manual. Maybe the PR EV IOUs owners on all the 200+ bikes I've bought have taken them off ;)

Part #8 in this fiche picture. It has one flat side so it only goes in one way. I don't think the 360's had them, but the 350's did. My K4 has them, but not sure if each year did.

honda-cb350-super-sport-350-k4-usa-steering-handle-top-bridge_bigma000148f03_dc51.gif

HerrDeacon said:
Part #8 in this fiche picture. It has one flat side so it only goes in one way. I don't think the 360's had them, but the 350's did. My K4 has them, but not sure if each year did.

honda-cb350-super-sport-350-k4-usa-steering-handle-top-bridge_bigma000148f03_dc51.gif

Good to know.. As cheap as they are I may buy some and just have them here... We're they on your kz650? I swapped the front on mine and never really paid attention on that one.

"Part #8 in this fiche picture. It has one flat side so it only goes in one way. I don't think the 360's had them, but the 350's did. My K4 has them, but not sure if each year did." -- HerrDeacon

I totally have part #8 on my bike. YAY! go me!

And I will probably be guilty of a lot of these except number 8 because I have a title. An number 1 because I always take good advice.

The d washer is real and can be make with a o washer and a file or a grinder

I don't think they were on many bikes, weren't on my KZ or CB400T. I have a feeling Honda put them on the 350 due to the flaw in the design.

The front end on my 360 is a 69 CL350. I dont have em. Not on Fiche. my top dont have clamps.

ScreenShot2013-11-21at52503PM_zpsda58d5fd.png
[/URL]
ScreenShot2013-11-21at52034PM_zps29266df7.png
[/URL]

There is always something to be learned, we'll always be noobs, and that's half the fun. Learning as we go.

HerrDeacon said:
There is always something to be learned, we'll always be noobs, and that's half the fun. Learning as we go.

+1

I learned something as well.

I try to avoid saying I know it all or am a master of anything, other than baiting. :eek: ... You may know a lot but rarely know it all.

not disconnecting the battery when working near the starter solenoid thats hanging and having the bike in gear and dropping the 10mm wrench perfectly so it shorts the solenoid.... chug chug chug.... bike exits stage left.....

Mounting Firestone Deluxe Champion tires on any bike made after 1950

Mounting ridiculously large clown shoe tires on skinny rims.....

Removing the horn in the stripping down process "to save weight"

Bashing dents in the tank ( well.. I guess the reduced fuel capacity does save weight ,,, so never mind ::) )

Raising fork tubes up through the triple clamps an inch or two (or more) with no concern on how this will affect the handling.

+1 on those stupid Firestone tires.

Not joining DTT.

mounting license plate and tailight on the rear axle so you can get hung up in the bike when you least want to and or get your leg sliced open + it looks stupid as fuk

Back
Top Bottom