I need some super LED's where do I find them?

if the light face is rotadid 90 on the horz axi then it could be made to drop out of the bottom of a tailpiece

Are you guys serious? It's a tail light. Talk about over thinking a simple device. 1400 lumens is going to make his ass look like its on fire. No need for robots.

deviant said:
Are you guys serious? It's a tail light. Talk about over thinking a simple device. 1400 lumens is going to make his ass look like its on fire. No need for robots.

Thank you.
Although a swig out light would be trick.

On a later build that aperture thing xb posted may come into play. It would be sick to have it open maybe 1/4 of the way for a running light and then when you hit the brakes have it slowly open to 100%

deviant said:
Yes. F-stop refers to light gathering, not light illumination.

Technically, it refers to the relationship of the width of the aperture to the focal length of the lens.

(f/2 is open to a diameter equivalent to 1/2 the focal length of the lens, f/16 is 1/16th, etc.; thus, the image projected at the focal plane for a given aperture is of the same intensity whether you're dealing with a long or a short lens.)

deviant said:

+1 :eek:

StargateIrisAnimation.gif

AgentX said:
Technically, it refers to the relationship of the width of the aperture to the focal length of the lens.

(f/2 is open to a diameter equivalent to 1/2 the focal length of the lens, f/16 is 1/16th, etc.; thus, the image projected at the focal plane for a given aperture is of the same intensity whether you're dealing with a long or a short lens.)
That's not correct. One stop is an EV or focal value. Each stop or f number represents half of the lighting from the previous value. It correspond to the decrease in the pupil and aperture diameter by 1 divided by the square root of 2. The numbers are a geometric sequence that are actually rounded off.

What you are referring to is f-number for focal ratio. It is used to control values as they relate to depth of field.

deviant said:
That's not correct. One stop is an EV or focal value. Each stop or f number represents half of the lighting from the previous value. It correspond to the decrease in the pupil and aperture diameter by 1 divided by the square root of 2. The numbers are a geometric sequence that are actually rounded off.

What you are referring to is f-number for focal ratio. It is used to control values as they relate to depth of field.
and i fergot it was called an aperapture and was calling it a shudder ;D ::)

I am subscribing just for the photography lessons.....

Hey, why not use a Xenon Lamp for the brake, salvage the flash from a disposable camera. When you hit the brake, the people behind will see a red lightning!!

So lets talk what flash guide number....I am thinking a flash with a 120 guide number would be just about right for taking some paint of the car too close behind you!

xb33bsa said:
and i fergot it was called an aperapture and was calling it a shudder ;D ::)
Just for the record, I think your idea of using an aperture for a tail light lens is badass.

mydlyfkryzis said:
I am subscribing just for the photography lessons.....

Hey, why not use a Xenon Lamp for the brake, salvage the flash from a disposable camera. When you hit the brake, the people behind will see a red lightning!!

So lets talk what flash guide number....I am thinking a flash with a 120 guide number would be just about right for taking some paint of the car too close behind you!
I was eventually going to suggest lasers with variable focus, but lens flashes could be more amazing. Imagine having an etching laser that you could scribe words into the front end of a car with. You could etch "douche bag" into the chrome grill of every truck in town.

What's wrong with robot tail lights?

On the previous incarnation of my bike I had a blindingly bright LED taillight from a tractor trailer. I seriously got complaints about how bright it was.

END OF LINE

Flugtechnik said:
What's wrong with robot tail lights?

On the previous incarnation of my bike I had a blindingly bright LED taillight from a tractor trailer. I seriously got complaints about how bright it was.

END OF LINE
Nothing really. Just seemed over engineered for this build. I wouldn't equate it to wipers on a Mercedes headlight.

Haha, I was just letting my imagination wander. Besides, I am an engineer so it tends to happen, the over engineering.

Justin is a smart guy. He will figure it out and it will end up being cooler than even he imagines.

END OF LINE

Check out CREE XP line of LEDs for 3W or XM-L for something that can be driven with more current. A couple or these pointed in the vicinity or a decent red lens will be plenty bright. Don't listen to those who haven't tried these. They have to be seen to be believed. Press On Regardless.

Also do a quick search for constant current drivers. Lots of compact 12-15V options on dx.com and superbrightleds.com .

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

This thread is awesome 8)

I ended up with 6 3watt Cree Led's already in a housing for 23 bucks so we will see how that goes, I am hopeful. My only worry is the SR with just a capacitor will not be happy about the headlight on at the same time as I hit the brakes pulling too many watts. We will have to see.

I'm dead serious about the aperture tail light, I have plans in my head for an industrial styled bike and that would look tits.

As for flash, I have several 400w/s strobes I use for furniture photography, I could toss a red soft box on there and mount it to the tail might be a bit bulky but whoever was behind me would see a red flash, and then blindly run me over in fear of the devil haha.
I love tossing people into the photo studio with 1200 w/s of flash pointed at their face and tell them "Look into the light, the picture will turn out better"
Never ceases to entertain me.

Back
Top Bottom