Is it me ?

kopcicle

antidisestablishmentarian
Or is the lesson , the spirit of the lesson being lost ?

Riding is usually a means to an end, a way of getting where we want to go. In mindful riding, we ride just to ride . That is, it is the experience of calm, relaxed riding itself that is the focus, not the destination or calculations about which path to take.

It is after all about the ride

~kop

kopcicle said:
Or is the lesson , the spirit of the lesson being lost ?

Riding is usually a means to an end, a way of getting where we want to go. In mindful riding, we ride just to ride . That is, it is the experience of calm, relaxed riding itself that is the focus, not the destination or calculations about which path to take.

It is after all about the ride

~kop

Totally agree man. If I'm having a bad day jump on the bike and just ride and ride and then turn around and ride back and that usually makes me feel better.

Heck even if I'm not having a bad day the feeling of two wheels and the wind on you is just so relaxing.

Is it me ?

Just had a conversation about this today. I don't like riding my bike to be somewhere by a certain time. I ride it for the trip. However short or long it may be. Planning weeklong camping trips ahead once I get a couple bikes tidied up makes me think about the utility of a motorcycle and how it's use provides a lot. Transportation, sure. But more so it provides memories, new sights, experiences and happiness. This is what I think we all really look forward to when being on two wheels. Planning a trip on a map to a place not familiar may seem thought out but the actual road ahead is unknown, and excited.

I used to hate riding to work- I didn't like my riding time associated with something I hated doing everyday. Now I commute religously from end of snow to first snow every year because I need that serenity on the way home everyday. I have an 11 mile commute. My routes home vary from 14 miles to 65 miles, depending on how badly I need it and how nice the weather is. ;)

I ride in all worlds, leave the house at 5:30a.m. to get to work everyday. It sucks, but the ride makes it better.
I ride on Sundays to be with my wife and kid, to have breakfast at a social place where the newest stuff shows up and exotica and vintage is common.
When I ride out to my home in N.M. it's just me and the road, there is a destination, but is secondary to the yen of putting 825 miles on my bike in a day.
Then there's riding with friends and hitting that perfect corner like a wave and the chorus of pipes and ballet of bikes down a country road.

I have to say, I don't know what I'd do without bikes. When I finally got my kid back from the ex, he was whipped and bullied, zero self esteem and I think looking at suicide. I immediately signed him into MSF course, drug an old FJ600 out for him, and the transformation was amazing. His self esteem recovered, he instantly made friends and the lifestyle has made him an amazing kid to be around. His mother hates this, because she has lost all control over him. Without bikes, I truly think I would have lost him.

Kop has made a very good point, but I think it runs much deeper for real riders. I know an 88 year old guy who just bought a new bike, and another older gentleman who just had a stroke and rides a Can Am, because he can't hold two wheels any more. I think this is what most on here are about. How can we live without a bike? Whether you're a tinkerer, a builder, rider, or combination of these. What would we do without bikes? I know I probably wouldn't be of this world...

Usually I have no idea where I am going when I get on my bike... until I am already in route and think of somewhere in that area to head to.

Is it me ?

ApriliaBill said:
I ride in all worlds, leave the house at 5:30a.m. to get to work everyday. It sucks, but the ride makes it better.
I ride on Sundays to be with my wife and kid, to have breakfast at a social place where the newest stuff shows up and exotica and vintage is common.
When I ride out to my home in N.M. it's just me and the road, there is a destination, but is secondary to the yen of putting 825 miles on my bike in a day.
Then there's riding with friends and hitting that perfect corner like a wave and the chorus of pipes and ballet of bikes down a country road.

I have to say, I don't know what I'd do without bikes. When I finally got my kid back from the ex, he was whipped and bullied, zero self esteem and I think looking at suicide. I immediately signed him into MSF course, drug an old FJ600 out for him, and the transformation was amazing. His self esteem recovered, he instantly made friends and the lifestyle has made him an amazing kid to be around. His mother hates this, because she has lost all control over him. Without bikes, I truly think I would have lost him.

Kop has made a very good point, but I think it runs much deeper for real riders. I know an 88 year old guy who just bought a new bike, and another older gentleman who just had a stroke and rides a Can Am, because he can't hold two wheels any more. I think this is what most on here are about. How can we live without a bike? Whether you're a tinkerer, a builder, rider, or combination of these. What would we do without bikes? I know I probably wouldn't be of this world...

This is inspiring, to say the least. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom