Who are your favorite vintage clothing companies and independent craftsmen

Dhalla

I am compiling a list of independent craftsmen who make motorcycle lifestyle related goods. I'm thinking backpacks, belts, flannels, jeans, boots, custom painted helmets, wallets, art, etc. Who are your favorite independent companies aka the "little guys"?

i dont know of any but it is an interesting subject
why did you leave out riding gear and or leathers?

Well, scan the ads you see on the side of the screen and you'll find quite a few of my favorite 'small guys'.

xb33bsa said:
i dont know of any but it is an interesting subject
why did you leave out riding gear and or leathers?

didn't mean to! Riding gear and leathers included. Pretty much everything is acceptable.

Softgoods:
Mercy Supply Co.
Deepwood Handcraft

Riding Leathers and Gloves:
Union Garage NYC
Barbour International Apparel
Abel Brown
RSD Apparel
Belstaff

Shirts:
Rust Revival
Town Moto
Woolrich
Filson

Boots:
Helm Boots
Gasolina Boots

Helmets/Goggles:
Bitwell
Bell
Desmo

Helmet Art:
http://the1moto.com/helmets/

Like you said not necessarily alot of independents. Let's find them!

Check out:

Marc Weinstock - SplitCutlery.com, also makes moto items, IG = MARCWEINSTOCK
Andy - PangeaSpeed.com

I'll keep revising as I think of more..

www.STRONGORIGINS.com

JohnGoFast said:
Check out:

Marc Weinstock - SplitCutlery.com, also makes moto items, IG = MARCWEINSTOCK
Andy - PangeaSpeed.com

I'll keep revising as I think of more..

Instagram is probably a great place to search. Keep em coming!

VonYinzer said:
Just out of curiosity...

Why do you ask?

Several reasons.

I have been sewing for a while now, and I like to think am getting pretty good. I started with simple shirts, then made skiing sweatshirts, and most recently a cafe racer inspired leather backpack for riding to school. I am a computer science and econ major and so I dabble in web development and think from a business perspective. It seemed intuitive for me to set up an online store. Obviously, to really expand there has to be a market for me to sell my products. An online store makes sense and with the DoTheTon network, people who love quality goods, low start-up costs; and I could probably sell quite a few backpacks in the process.

So this got me thinking, what about a lifestyle store? I could sell my packs, but I wouldn't get nearly enough exposure because people would only come when they are looking for a pack. If I sold flannels, levi's, boots, helmets, then I have a better chance of people seeing my goods. I think there is a nostalgia about walking around with a flannel shirt and a wrench in your pocket that people love. I see skate shop lifestyle brands, surf inspired shops, as I walk through a mall, but not a shop that caters to the wrench pulling vintage guys. To me, it is a lifestyle brand opportunity. Harley definitely has a similar market, but I doubt anyone would wear a Harley jacket on a Honda cb750. It's taboo. So that was my original thinking. And as a student, it would be a cool gig. I love building and building a brand from the ground up would be a great experience.

But, this all started because I was sewing packs because I and enjoyed it. In essence, everyone on The Ton build because they enjoy it. They help each other because there is a passion to create and we are all logon because we enjoy hanging out and wowing at each others craftsmanship. There is something powerful about motorcycles that has draws us together to and go riding or hang out and tweak the bikes. So I figured, if we support our friends on the forum with advice and encouragement, then I think that people would be willing to support the well made parts, clothing, gear, art, etc. made by independent forum builders and craftsmen.

So aside from a store I thought of a another development project that could be a collective of all things cafe. A makersrow.com (fashion sourcing in the USA), if you will, for dotheton and caferacer enthusiasts. The exposure would bring people to a common site that wouldn't be to product specific so people could browse and discover the hidden gem craftsmen who do what they do because they love and enjoy their work.

So, that was a pretty lengthy explanation, but basically I am starting the search for the independents brands that I could start with and grow from there. What do you think?

I like Filson products, they last generations.
http://www.filson.com/

"I see skate shop lifestyle brands, surf inspired shops, as I walk through a mall, but not a shop that caters to the wrench pulling vintage guys."

It's called SEARS, we go in through the automotive department's entrance, so we don't have to deal with the mall-rats. :p

I like your thinking and get way to get the small business involved! I work for a small bushiness so I am always looking for ways to support.

4eyes said:
It's called SEARS, we go in through the automotive department's entrance, so we don't have to deal with the mall-rats. :p

Bahaha! I cringed when I saw SEARS. Literally cringed. I've never gone to the auto department there. I mean, hey they probably have everything there, but just something about getting oil changed where I buy my underwear. haha

Bradley said:
I like your thinking and get way to get the small business involved! I work for a small bushiness so I am always looking for ways to support.

Thanks! Glad to hear some interest

DylonDylonDylon said:
Bahaha! I cringed when I saw SEARS. Literally cringed. I've never gone to the auto department there. I mean, hey they probably have everything there, but just something about getting oil changed where I buy my underwear. haha
]

More importantly, Sears carries the products we use to change our own oil. And remove stuck bolts, check timing, frame doorways, charge batteries, remodel rooms, etc. See a pattern there? Sears is a store for ppl who do things - to buy the things they need to do things themselves. I understand the business idea you've got, and applaud you for the attempt to start a business to cater to a lifestyle -Dime City was a huge success with the poor boy garage crowd using the same philosophy. But. I kinda doubt you will net many actual guys like us into the customer base. Reason being, we are all at Sears buying a socket wrench or browsing the work clothes. Fortunately there's plenty of people out there who are more interest in looking the part than getting greasy, and their money is green too. Beck, they probably have more of it than i do, or at least a credit card.

Good luck with your endeavor. It may work out, but don't be too surprised if we all keep shopping where we can afford to shop. For that matter, im trying to get my own line of bike products up and running too, so I've got an idea how this game works. The vintage clothing gig seems to work for iron and air too. They sell rather silly things on their site for stupid money. Junk ive taken to goodwill or thrown out. But they make it look so appetizing that a fool and his money are soon parted :)

Good luck with it all. And one more bit. I laughed when Woolrich was listed. I shopped at that store till it closed near me. Not because it was cool or hip, but they made damn good stuff. Like LL Bean. But you don't see them listed on hipster mega shopping sites. Guess they don't advertise to them.

Thanks E. It helps just to see what people think and testing the waters. And, your probably right about it being poor man's game. Price usually wins, and as much as we like to think Made in USA is valuable, when we stand in front of two products of marginally same quality, the one made for less will always prevail- it's going to get dirty anyway, right? Anyways, the only way to find out about the market is to get a feel for the traction so thanks for you input. It will be noted.

But, I don't think that's not to take away from the collective showcase of independent builders; the second idea. I think in that game, it's about getting exposure for their brand not mine. If it works, then great? If it flops, well then it is a lesson learned.

The success of online retailers like Etsy and Fab.com show that you can make it work. But, you're not going to draw from just one crowd. You may get people that want the motorcycle culture stuff because it's fashion, and some that buy because they're really into it. Like the others suggest, I tend to wear Carhardts and other practical work clothes. It get 'em at Sears, Sierra Trading Post and anywhere else that has them on sale. I have mom and pop's retailers near me that sell the same stuff, but usually at a steeper price. Having managed an independent retail store for several years, I know the mark-up is usually much higher than a big box (usually 180% or more) to cover their overhead. If you submit to only online sales and store back stock in your garage, you can keep the mark up lower, but the cost of purchasing small run items to sell is higher than other manufactured goods to begin with. A good example to look at might be the progression of Timbuk 2 over the years. They provide a good model for maintaining consistency in product and price over the years since they began as a one guy operation. They're still a small company, but they've taken the opposite approach. You're a small retailer looking to expose small manufactures in one place. Timbuk 2 started out independent, then sought to get their product into large retailers. As a ceramicist who makes tile and functional ceramics, I sell independently and regionally, but seek outlets in larger companies like Anthropologie, William and Sonoma and the like. I have to go to the product and manufacturers conventions, rent a booth to display the wares, and push to get the sales. It's a lot of investment.

Back
Top Bottom