"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Re: "Tangerine Dream" - KZ750

Finally got myself a build buddy ! The guy that used to work for my pal AC [ on the C Types, Tr1 and Scorpio projects ] has agreed to help me to finish the various projects.

He left Realm under a dark cloud [ not of his making ] and I lost contact with him until last week.

He has quite a few 2, 3 and 4 wheel projects of his own - all of which display great skill and design engenuity. He has all the relevant machinery - including lathe, welders, etc. - and more important, the skill to use them.

Happy days. 8)

Thanx Desmo ............................. AND as of yesterday "LET THERE BE LIGHT".

After almost 30 years living in my house I finally got round [ courtesy of my neighbour ] to putting an underground power supply to my remote garage and yesterday together with another good mate finally fitted the 4 way power sockets and 2 x 5' flourescent light fittings................and it all works !

To fill in the picture, until 2002 I had my own business' with 3000 sq ft + of workshop and a further 2000 sq. ft of storage.

After the KZ has been steam cleaned, it's down to the frame mods and then the bike gets a total strip down for detail and paint.

DesmoBro said:
sounds like a plan....i'd go with Red myself but thats been done

You talked me into it Desmo !!!

Even though the Vindicator Cafe Racer [ Tr1 ] will be primarily Red / Gold / polished alloy, I sprayed up some of the Audi Tangerine and it looks - a bit girlie !!!!

That means the primary colourways will now be Red / Gold. The wheels were always going to be Gold powdercoated - so that's just an extension of the theme. Looking at that BSA Spitfire scrambler finally did it !

There's a GOOD chance I may use the fine Red wrinkle finish for the engine now with Gold and polished alloy highlight - sorry about that.

I just so happen to have a piece of the Red suede I used on my Guzzi Lemon Cafe Racer seat left in my loft.

Yes Desmo - I knew it made sense !!!!!!!!!

naughty naughty... Red suede too be careful with that...don't use it all on the seat!....make some handle grips out of it, or stripe your helmet

First job with my new power supply - start removing unwanted tabs etc, and also the rotten piece of tube between the seat rails.

Then it comes to cutting and fettling the replacement top rails .............. ah, I have power, but still no bench vice. !! ::)

Who needs a vice with a KZ rear end for a bench and a pair of Mole grips for a vice - job done [ eventually ]. ;)

Tyres will be removed from wheels at the weekend, then off to be blasted and powder coated.

The carb flanges are now at the lazer cutting guy's to be profiled and cut, so I'm hoping my new build buddy can fab the Webber intake up when he gets back from France in 3 week's time.

I'll also get him to weld in all the replacement tube rails before getting the frame and s/arm blasted.

The frame is quite badly pitted in places [ although not structurally dangerous ] and the s/arm is even worse - so I'm thinking high build primer and the wrinkle finish paint that my pal has.

At least it's moving along now ::)

Progress again ! ::)

Thanx to E-bay 2 packs [ x 10 ] of grinding and cutting discs arrived - finish off de-tabbing and dressing replacement tubes this weekend.

Also got my Weber conversion flanges from the Lazer cutting guy - "It'll be about a week", 48 hours later they're done ! ;D

Had to have 8 pieces as a minimum order, worked out quite nicely as that was 6 head inlet flanges and 2 x Carb flange making enough for 3 sets. Just need to get some tube and talk nicely to my welder friend.

Delay on pulling the forks and wheels - THIS weekend then ! ::)

Final strip down to bare frame today - forks out [ new bearings !! :D], wheel etc. All engine / frame fixings loosened or removed.

Engine out at the weekend - I want to do it 2 handed as I'm not convinced about taking the valve cover off and exposing the innards ! Then it's engine off for commercial steam cleaning ready for wrinkle finish paint - WHICH WILL BE RED :eek:... sorry folks.

The frame rails are pitted in places [ not structural ] and I don't think powder coat will cover the worst bits - so it's shotblast and I'll wrinkle finish paint the frame [ Black ].

I'll finish pulling discs off, bearings out and then the wheels are ready to go off for blast / powder coating [ Gold ].

Even got a bit done to my Rover P4 RestoRod project today 8)

Found a guy who will make up my Weber intake conversion. Just need to get the motor ass'y steam cleaned and then it's all parts down to him for fabbing. 8)

Finally decided on the colourways [ for now anyway ! ::) ].

Thanx to Desmo - he's persuaded me it has to be FO Red. Then there'll be a few Gold accents [ plus Gold powder coated wheels ] to break it up - maybe a double stripe front to back. I'm also going with the daylight MOT test - ie no lights, so I'll be using racing number plates on the side to hide battery etc, and another on the front. These will also be Red and IF I can afford it, I'll have my football playing number in Gold leaf [ 55 ].

I looked at various engine finishes [ Thanx Brother Joe and others ] and I have decided on the wrinkle Red that my pal uses on his Jag / Cobra replicas. Maybe polished fins and certainly some Gold / polished alloy to break it up. There's a guy on the Kkawasaki forum making up some exhaust stubs [ nice kit ] - then it's take out a mortgage and get the two high level pipes made up - got to be done. ;)

Big thanx for Hoggy over on the Kawasaki Twin Forum [ www.armbell.com. ].

I just happened to mention my dilema with the two high level pipes I want to have on my Tracker and he made me these as a starter for 10 ...................... don't you just love the mates you meet on forums ! 8).

What a load of bollox ................................ the prick who "designed" the frame / engine interferrance should be donkey knobbed !!! :mad:

One thing is for sure - it's not going back the way it came out. ;)

I was a bit shocked when I read the engine removal proceedure in the manual saying "remove valve cover and be careful not to damage the cam chain / train" ..... never mind the acres of shite that might drop into the engine.

The top mount is a glorified "head steady" - the engine is by no means a stressed member, so I'm thinking a simple redesign in that area will save one whole load of grief when the engine goes back.

In the meantime I'll make up some seals for the intake / exhaust and get the motor off for the steam cleaning process.

All the replacement tubes have been cut and dressed ready for welding - then the frame will have final de-lug and off for shot blasting.

The Exhaust flanges and stubs arrived this morning - courtesy of "Hoggy".

Superb work - and from a guy I've never even met ........chapeau.

A BIT MORE ...............

New rear sprocket arrived this morning - that'll be off for Gold passivating next week.

£22.00 [ $50? ] - not bad

Yet another score - whilst looking for suitable period tyres for the Vindicator I came across a brand new [ in date ] 130 x 80 x 18" TT100 GP tyre for £25.00 [ $60 ?]

Think I found the colour [ IF it's to be Tangerine ]. The UK Ford Focus comes in a wicked Orangey shade - we'll see.

Cuba Libre said:
Have you been given a price for that?
You might be in for a shock...

M.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm ............. that much !!!!!!! OK, it might be back to Renault Service Yellow [ 356 ].

I'll check it out as I still get trade deals on my paint and products. That said - I can't get my breath at how much paint and materials are since I packed in my business [ 2000 ]. No wonder rattle cans are so popular !

Slight change of plan - I've "stolen" the TT100 / GP to match up the 100 [ 4.10 ] x 90 x 18" TT100 for my Vindicator Cafe Racer after I saw a 160 on a TR1 - looked waaay to big enough for 60's styling.

Fortunately the tyres that came with the KZ are in good nick, so I'll use them for now - and probably get some "nobbly" tyres eventually as funds allow.

However, my enforced lay off [ dog sitting duties ] has meant loads of spare time for trawling E-Bay - and I've scored a shit load of rattle cans for silly cheap prices.

Most will be used on the Vindicator and BMW Fighter, but there should be enough for the odd bits on the tracker.

Did a rough colour sketch yesterday.

I priced up the Ford Tangerine paint [ gulp ] and also a Mazda FO Lime Green finish - how fuckin much ?

Looked at Vikings Satin Plum [ helmet colour ] - again, must be made with platinum dust.

So - tank, seat, front m/g will be the Renault Service Yellow [ fargin BRIGHT ] with [ probably ] Satin Black stripes. So we're back to "Not so Mellow Yellow".

I'll be using the textured paint [ like the H-D engine paint ] in a FO Ferrari Red for the frame,S/A, Fork bottoms, yokes [ triple trees ], bars and a few highlights - oh yes - and the engine !

It will be "daylight MOT" certificated, which means I don't have to run lights - except a "Stop" light for self preservation.

Tyres will be off the old wire spoked wheels by the weekend and then it's bearings out and away for blasting and powder coating Gold.

yep ........ "used to be indecisive, etc......"

Back
Top Bottom