micks sr250

rat_ cxn

Been Around the Block
Ok time for a new project
I just picked up this sr250 for $600. it has low mialage but has been left out in the weather so is rather tatty
any way ill be stripping it right down to its bare bones and building it from the ground up in to what i hope will be a rather nice little cafe racer

IMG_0206.jpg

well i picked up the sr today. I rode it home and was giggling to my self all the way :D
its so diferent to ride to my cx500, as it should be.
I felt like i should have a sack of letters on my back and be riding from letter box to letter box;) It sure is fun to ride though

The plan is to ride it to work for a few weeks while i fix a few issues on my cx500 and then its going to get the complete strip down and cafe treatment. I shouldn't need to open the engine up as it runs smooth and doesn't blow smoke or rattle at all. the only real mechanical issue is it needs a new chain and sprocket, no biggie :D

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

Looks pretty good. and those little thumpers are tough as hell. We've owned 2, wife's bikes. Reason for the 2nd one was due to the fact a transport truck driver decided not to look at what was around him while backing up. Rolled right over the rear end. After dealing with the police. Picked it up, put back on the gas tank. kicked it over a few time to un flood the carbs and Vrooom she starts right up.

I'm 5'11" 215lbs so you can imagine what I look like riding it. lol

Going to be a cool project, there are a couple of 250s on here that have been done well.

Good luck on the build

yeh i know what you mean, I am 6.2" so its a bit cramped for me. I think with the clip ons it will actual be more comfortable because i will be able to stretch out my arms a bit

I was cleaning out my garage today and found a pair of pipeline mufflers that where previously fitted to my old vf750f
so i thought i would fit it up on the sr Now it sounds like a true thumper and not a posttie bike
when i finally officilay start the build on this bike i will be striping the gold off and polishing the alloy

IMG_0257.jpg

I rode the sr to work today with the new exhaust fitted. I do believe i can notice gain in performance.
Here is a video of what it sounds like

IMG 0258

i purchased another pice to the cafe jigsaw
some clubman bars. Once i get every thing i need together i will be doing a complete tear down rebuild next on the list will to make up a seat

I cant believe how these bars have changed the way the bike rides. I can throw it in to corners much harder now and i dont feel like i am riding with me seat to far forward because i am 6 ft 2" These bars make the bike feel much bigger to me

IMG_0349.jpg

Hi Mate,

I'm trawling ads here in spain for a project sr250 to muck around with this winter so I'm watching the builds on here. I'm no mechanic and have limited garage space (car space in underground carpark) so mostly will be changing the look and not much stripping down..

Was wondering with the new can did you need to change anything with the carbs or did you just bolt on and go?

Cheers

no I just bolted it straight on and it seems to run fine. however when i get around to doing the tare down rebuild i will probebly change the jet in the carby I am not sure what size to go to yet

ok i have officially started the build on my sr250
The first thing i am going to do is get it looking the way i want it before i start dismantling.
it.. As you can see i have already removed the battery and air box. Next is to design a seat
I went fibreglass with my cx500. I think i will go metal with the sr

IMG_0433.jpg

I have been working on the seat. It is far from finished, but i think i have the basic shape sorted. Tell me what you think

IMG_0454.jpg

Hard to tell from this angle but I kinda like it. That tail looks good and so far it looks like it flows well with the tank

This is such a slow build when i only get half hour a day to work on it
Well the seat is all done and now just needs preping for paint and a tail light added
next i will start pulling the bike apart so i can prep the frame for paint.
IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

I hear you on the no time to do anything worth while. I just picked up another one. They are few and far between here but 200 bucks with ownership, runs. This bike will be a flip.

thanx ;D The tail is actualy made from metal from the old roof skin on my datsun 240z. so its now part datsun ;D

Cheers on another SR250 rider. Good job on the seat, I ordered a Roc City seat and had to trim 2" out of the center of mine to get it to fit the tiny frame.

rat_ cxn said:
thanx ;D The tail is actualy made from metal from the old roof skin on my datsun 240z. so its now part datsun ;D

I use old bed frames and assorted crockery metal myself. ;)

AfistfulofDEAN said:
Cheers on another SR250 rider. Good job on the seat, I ordered a Roc City seat and had to trim 2" out of the center of mine to get it to fit the tiny frame.

Thats why i like to make them from scratch. that way i can make them to suit the frame and flow with the lines of the bike. and all it cost me was a bit of welding wire and a few hours of my time and i get so much more satisfaction from the final result. I still have to make a ban for the frame under the seat to mount all the electrics in but that is an easy job

Back
Top Bottom