Rocky Mtn high build: '74 CB350F

mikewerx

Been Around the Block
Living at 10,000ft elevation in Summit County, CO, I've got a few more months before I can ride again, so what a great time for a new build. Found this '73 CB350F on CL, and thought it would be a great one to get cranking on. It runs, just came missing a battery, headlight, and a handful of other things, but it runs nicely with fresh tuned carbs, etc. Thanks for checking it out as I cruise down this path.
IMAG3169.jpg

IMAG3163.jpg

IMAG3174.jpg

IMAG3171.jpg

IMAG3165.jpg

Re: Rocky Mtn high build: '73 CB350F

First things first, gotta make it street legal to get the title issue all squared away, and the master cylinder was so freaking seized. Boiled it for a few hours, used a little CLR, soaked in vinegar for a night or two, boiled again for a couple hours, used picks to scrape some of the rust out, and keep it going. Finally with a couple good whacks from the other side it came out.

photo.JPG

Ordered a new rebuild kit, and what a difference this will make

Looks like you have a nice base, and you've already got the ball rollin!

Tank had some dents in it, and after trying every technique I could find one Youtube to pull them out, and talking to a handful of body shop guys, my hopes for having a bare metal tank was out the window. So I busted out the Bondo, and re-shaped the sides where the dents were. Thinking of filling the side panels, to use the older late-60's round tank badges instead of the straight Honda Written logo for this one.
Tank-Image.JPG

Rocky Mtn high build: '73 CB350F

There's the build thread! Nice start! A 350f was my first bike and still my favorite. It's a super fun ride. Look for your parts soon.

So now that I was thinking the body work was done on the tank, took tWistedWheelz's direction to the ultimate rattle can paint job. Got through the first stages of the priming, which is going to take way more then people's thoughts of only 1 can of primer, before I started seeing some additional work I could fix on the body work, before committing too far.
Tnkaspray.jpg

I'm going to let this dry, then get back to some sanding, and start over again in a day or two.

Today got to a little more dismantling the bike. Got the big battery box out FINALLY, took the exhaust off - although still having issues getting the header pipes off one of the mufflers - Anyone know any tricks?? and ground off the back bars to make room for a new seat.
grind1.JPG

grindin2.JPG

Making headway!

Build inspiration insights:
inspo.JPG

Liking the silver clean look on this bike, but I'm sure mine will be more rat cafe dirty, and not as polished
46681973.jpg

Looking at a seat like this from Twinline, except without the oil reserve, as that's where the battery will be relocated to. Anyone use these seats before? Pricey for my budget, but thinking it will make a big difference in the look.

Looks like a good start...I am trying to build a 350F right now too....just never seem to have enough time or money...lol good luck

Yeah, I know what you mean. I didn't want to dive all the way in since it was running fine before, but with each piece I strip off, I find just one more I could take down as well. Endless cycle.

nice thread starting mate just read thru i love the inspiration pics am 1/2 way thru a '72 350f caferacer project mine wasn't running so jumped in both feet agh been trying to copy the seat idea you posted will post some pics asap basically opens up via piano hinge to a tool / spares tray 30mm deep aint finished yet have posted up a thread >
cb350f 1st project agh!

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 304

Just picked up this beast today. I'm sure it will make my bike MUCH faster... ;)
buffer.JPG

Nice bike to start with Mike. Can't wait to see what you do with it. From the looks of that buffer you should have some shiney bits. 8)

Sorry for the lag, trade show season for my biz.

So today I popped the oil pan off, and low and behold, WTF is sitting at the bottom of the oil pan. Anyone know what these 3 springs, and 2 pairs of other parts are?
oilTank-huh.jpg

UPDATES!

So I have the bike pretty broken down, and wondering how far I want to take this initial build. I'm kind of a noob on engine/carb tuning, so wondering if it's worth doing a full break down on the engine & carb, if it seemed to be running pretty much fine when I bought it. Any thoughts from you guys?
IMG_7048.jpg

No real oil leaks I could find anywhere
IMG_7046.jpg

Carbs in pretty good shape
IMG_7047.jpg

Looking nice and clean from up top... do I want to dive in deep?

Otherwise I will still take the engine out to get the frame painted, and put all new cables and hoses, but just not sure if it's worth diving in to look at the valves, piston rings, etc... in fear I'll completely screw something up.

The parts in your oil pan are starter clutch bearings and springs.

Kanticoy said:
The parts in your oil pan are starter clutch bearings and springs.

So is my starter going to be pretty much shot then? I heard it wasn't 100% working when I bought it, but they thought it was the sylinoid. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Yep, it isn't going to work as is. Those bearings actually let your stator free wheel when the starter isn't engaged, and "lock" the crank to the starter motor when it is engaged. Its fixable for sure, but you'll have to pull the stator to get it all back together. Starter motor may be fine, but it won't spin the motor without those parts in there.

Ugh... I guess she's getting torn apart after all. Thanks for busting the news Kanticoy!

Back
Top Bottom