anyone here ever own a goldwing?

manuel labor

I'm thinking of buying a '78 for a what I think is good price, and either stripping it down, or flipping it for a bit of profit. I've never had a shaft drive bike though, and don't know much about them. Anyone have any thoughts?

i just re did a 78 that was stored inside for its whole life but had been sitting

i had to put 550 in total in parts not including carbs (i put new mikunis)

stock carbs a good kit (randakks) is around 175 plus plenum gasket

clean fuel tank

tires and tubes
timing belts and cam seals
new starter
new front master cylinder
rebuild kit for rear master cylinder
new front fork seal progressive springs and belray fork oil
brake pads
agm battery
plugs oil and oil filter
rad flush and new anti freeze
spark plugs
it already had dyna s ignition
new clutch cable
new clutch springs
new seat cover

make sure you check the stator and stator connector before you buy it as that is a engine out job

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I just called my insurance place and they told me my insurance will double if I pick up the goldie, so I might not go for it, I'm eyeing a 76 cb550 as well, that's in pretty rough shape, but if I could get it running enough to drive the four hours back from where it's sitting (i'll be working up there for a few weeks, so will have some time to get it at least roadworthy) might go for that instead.

a thing to remember is that a goldwing is about 700 lbs plus

so if you have to handle it your self as in load it push it around get it on a lift

worse you dont own a lift they can be a handful

pulling and installing a goldwing motor is as much fun as drywalling or a root canal

and very dangerous if you have to much help

Yeah, all that kind of occurred to me. I think all in all, as I'm limited in space and friends who want to help me do something like that, I might pass on it. It's too bad, I love the look of the naked goldwings, but I think it might just be too much bike for me right now.
Thanks for the advice, man.

that is strong coin even for the big nickel for a non running bike

be careful i would not pay anywhere near that price for it in non running condition

Tune-a: Yeah, I think the goldwing might be too much bike for my limited space and insurance budget, but my goal is buy a bike up in sudbury as they seem to dowble in price in toronto which is annoying and I'm up there for work anyway.
And cxman: Yeah, the bike is pretty beat up. I talked the fella down to a grand, and I'm going to try to give it a kick and see if there's compression, see if the clutch moves, drop a battery into it and see if there's any spark/ electrical response, etc... I'm trying to be pretty level headed about it, but I've wanted a 550 for a decade and have never had one, so I'm also kinda stoked. I am also kind of looking for someone to talk me out of it if I'm going to make a stupid purchase, tbh.

Looks worked... I see at least another grand to make it go just with carbs, tires and cosmetics (rusty parts) if the the brakes are froze and the tank is rusty I would walk before even moving forward with sparks and fire. I would pay $2-300 for one like that here.

The CB550 is not in the same league as the GL1000 because of price point. The CB550's mostly ended up worn out and thrown away. By design, it did not have the life expectancy of the GL1000. I'm not saying the CB550 is a bad choice, just that is wasn't built to the same standard as the Wing and could take more effort to bring back. Of course, it's all going to depend upon the individual bike.

Awesome, thanks for the advice, man. I'm really bad at getting all excited about bikes. The guy claims it starts up, so I want to see if that's true, but looking closely at the pics, even, as well as the rust, there's a ton of leaf litter and shit in the crevices of the engine, so I'm guessing it was not stored as carefully as he claims. I just want a fucking 550 god dammit.

you would be better off buying a decent one down here and importing it into canada

they are past there being any duty its not that big a deal i have done it 6 times

yes you get a export paper from the us side along with the bill of sale and title

take it to customs at the border

they shufle it around collect the taxes and give you a paper to take to dmv

Anything 15 years old or older is pretty easy, Just remember you now need an ITN # and you can get that online for 35 USD and have to submit that depending on the crossing along with copies of your paperwork usually 72 hours in advance, other than that it is easy and the tax you pay at the border is the value they use at the DMV so there is potential to save $$ over a bike bought in Canada as those they can argue value if your receipt is low.

All because you just don't want a pickle, you wanna ride your Motorcicle... I despise the suppression of free will and Governments who think you owe them something for your personal ownership of property. What would God do?

Tune-A-Fish said:
All because you just don't want a pickle, you wanna ride your Motorcicle... I despise the suppression of free will and Governments who think you owe them something for your personal ownership of property. What would God do?

"Render unto Caesar"?

Back
Top Bottom