The Twinstar Project

Trek, did you pry it open at the bottom...
(Here)
c3c13bdf14525956812a15ebebe4091d.jpg

Or at the top?
(Here)
da93416a037e72f5877f9d20d0758472.jpg

At the bottom. Mine has the stainless ring. So not quite like that...in your pic the plastic ring looks like it was sorta molded together on there dont it?

Just keep in mind, if its not working now...you got nothing loose by trying.

the stainless ring came right off...its prying the bottom metal base from the housing body that gets a bit tough. Thats where I came out w a few small cracks. but they are hidden under the stainless ring once reassembled.

the complete speedo mechanism will remain on the bottom plate, once you pull it out. gauge face and all.

Mine didnt have the odometer reset knob sticking out the side of it either. You may need to pull the screws out the bottom. That attach the speedo mech to the bottom base plate.

Good to know. I figured I'd do it anyways, but if I'm gonna give it a shot I'd at least like to attempt pulling it apart in the correct spot

I'm thinking about cutting up the no-name GS550 4-1 Exhaust I have laying around for the exhaust on this bike. Its been almost a year with no interest, and since its a no-name exhaust I don't feel like its a severer loss or anything to chop up. Headers would be a little bigger than ideal, but they're free and wouldn't be too far off. For some reason I can't seem to find an exhaust for a decent price. Also decided that I am going to stick with the PD23 that came on the 200 for now, just to get it running.

CALfeRacer said:
I'm thinking about cutting up the no-name GS550 4-1 Exhaust I have laying around for the exhaust on this bike. Its been almost a year with no interest, and since its a no-name exhaust I don't feel like its a severer loss or anything to chop up. Headers would be a little bigger than ideal, but they're free and wouldn't be too far off. For some reason I can't seem to find an exhaust for a decent price. Also decided that I am going to stick with the PD23 that came on the 200 for now, just to get it running.
Sorry if I missed a pic but I'd be interested in buying the 4 into 1 before you cut it up.

DohcBikes said:
Sorry if I missed a pic but I'd be interested in buying the 4 into 1 before you cut it up.
Pics in here:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=64359.0

CALfeRacer said:

I have the carb. that came w/ that manifold I sent to you,it says:# VE08D on the side and it's got a choke enrichener plunger,and accel. pump,etc. & the carb. throat i.d. measures 28.5mm

Mind taking a couple measurements? The 250 carb I was gonna use (CV) was too tall to fit with the 200 stamped backbone frame.

CALfeRacer said:
Mind taking a couple measurements? The 250 carb I was gonna use (CV) was too tall to fit with the 200 stamped backbone frame.

ok, 1.5" from the top of the CV diaphram cover down to the top of the front carb throat where it goes into the rubber manifold.

That might actually work for me. Mind sending me a pm with picture and what you were thinking for price?

CALfeRacer said:
That might actually work for me. Mind sending me a pm with picture and what you were thinking for price?

I can do that; it'll be a few days because I got loaded up w/ work,ok?

No problem. Not going to be making much progress in the next week and a half anyways. Katana is getting work, then I'm heading home for thanksgiving.

CALfeRacer said:

Cal,
I'm not sure how to send a pic w/ the PM so here's the carb.,came from a bike w/ 243 mi. that sat for a while.I had plans to put it on my CB125 but I think it's more carb. than I need.I had the top CV cover powdercoated shiny silver(I've been looking for that top cap but haven't found it yet,I will.)and so far haven't taken it apart for a complete cleaning. $40+ shipping if you clean it

Attachments

• DSCN1733.JPG
    DSCN1733.JPG
    915.8 KB · Views: 309
I'm definitely interested! But between finals and Christmas break I won't be getting anything done with this bike until January, so I'll get in touch with you then!

Just found this...looks interesting. I picked up one of these for my 'ex' way back in 1992, it had changed hands several times before we got it and it had been used as a dirt bike for a couple of years. Anyhow, it turned out she was pregnant, so riding on it went on hold for a while and the bike eventually got stuffed into the back corner of the garden shed and was basically forgotten about until our son turned 16. Took it out to the shed on his birthday and a couple of days later it was running like new. After I had done a mild cafe/ customization to it on his behalf, he was too lazy to get his license (I still don't get it), so for spite I drove the little machine for the rest of the year myself. After he finally got licensed the following year he used it daily and eventually sold it to the wife of one of my close friends, she sold it some time later and it is still running strongly. They may not be the best performing machine in terms of power, but you can't beat the reliability...and with the lower bars etc the thing handled better than my Norton Commando. Best of luck on your build...keep us posted please!

Thanks for the interest! I rode the Nighthawk 250 for a while and while it had pretty miserable power, I loved being able to throw it around so easily!
I figured I would post an update to start the year. I haven't touched her in a few weeks. Between finals, the Katana needing work, and heading home for break, I got no time. Now that I'm back, I'm gearing up for a push to get her to being rideable.
I'm going to use the carb from the 200 that the frame donor came with. Might not be the best option, but I have it here and I don't have to pay any more for it. I need to shorten the cable for it to work well with the lower bars. I need an exhaust and battery to try getting her started, and that should cover the bare minimum to get a test ride in. From there I can figure out the lights and such, finish up making any brackets I need, and tackle any problems that come up.

I ordered a beat up Nighthawk 250 exhaust to use. Wether or not I cut them up will end up coming down to exactly how shitty they end up being

Back
Top Bottom