Clark Abalone 14FT Boat. "Alestorm II"

Nice projekt u got there B.
I am at the time beeing messing around with boats from time to time, i just sold a 19ft smuggler with a 130 hp 6 cyl outboard!
Fun as hell but i had to be married to the daughter of the boss in some petroleum-business to afford using it!
Now i am building a canoe with a 440 kawa jetski engine just for the fun of it!
cheers Joergen

i just flipped the jetski,draw a mark around,cut out the bottom of the canoe, flipped it over,got the impeller hight right and glassed the whole jetski in there.
Have to come up with something with stability,or else its gonna b a drag-canoe.... lol
(sorry for jacking )

No problem. I don't mind at all.

I would like to see a picture of this jetcanoe. Sounds like awesome fun.

Its disassembled at the time,cause it cracked up at testride,posting it up here in a while when its redone with new expansionchambers...
It did 27 knots straight forward..... wery scary,ill see if i find that vid!
Cheers J.

i wound up putting a 12 inch long 7 inch deep skeg on the jet to get it to steer

i guess you could do it old skool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Jik3Ve-gS_8

using the whole bottom of the jet(steering and all),im just thinking about adding a surfboard fin for stability.
But no hurry with nothing its 14 degrees Fahrenheit here these days so i am not thinking about any watersports right now

I know I have been slack with updates but there has not been much to add so far. Most of the paint is off the outside and a lot if gone from the inside. I have also stripped the inside. Here is a picture of what it looks like as of an hour ago. All the stuff in the bottom is paint. Ohh and two beers that helped with the work.

Attachments

• IMG_20131123_150102_379.jpg
    IMG_20131123_150102_379.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 345
are you going to zinc chromate it and re paint or leave the aluminum exposed?

and use a electronic galvanic protection unit

The plan was to leave it bare on the high side of the outside. Paint the bottom in black anti foul and undecided for the inside. I plan to isolate all dissimilar metals to reduce corrosion. My other boat has been fine for many years and if is bare aluminium.

I would love further input on the fore/against for repainting the outside.

Not to derail this xlnt thread you've got going, but I thought I'd close the loop re: my earlier comment about small inboard-engine race boats and let everybody know that Clark Craft in the US still sells plans for an 11 foot hydro for the 48 cu.in. class. As I recall, the class was designed for bike engines(HD and Indian) and the Crosley car motor (great motor for the day, google it sometime).
And what he said about alodining the bare aluminum...
Pat

i would use rhino hide or whatever the oz equivalent is over there on the bottom

http://www.rhinolinings.com/

leave the rest bare

use one of these when its in the water

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Mercathode-Kit-88334A2-Complete-Galvanic-Corrosion-Control-Zink-Saver-/271319365861?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3f2be4f8e5&vxp=mtr

and wash it after use

Quick picture update. As she sat yesterday afternoon. More of the paint is gone and she is back on the trailer. Ready to get all the paint out of the inside. I am digging the bare look and plan to polish it after a decent sand down to 800 grit.

Attachments

• IMG_20131124_103433_866.jpg
    IMG_20131124_103433_866.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20131124_103419_113.jpg
    IMG_20131124_103419_113.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 283
For polishing advice do some searching on Feathercraft restorations. Those guys polish the crap out of their hulls.

also check in with the airstream trailer boys they do some BIG polishing

Won't be a mirror finish and I will be using a larger orbital sander. Just a quick job to get her looking nice. If this was a lake boat I would put a lot of effort in to getting it to shine. But since she will be getting battered by waves and sand every time she is out I don't expect the shine to hold to long.

And yeah a bucket of autosol would be the go. I have 3 half empty tubes at home. I think I may have to drop by the paint supply shop for a quart of polish.

Back
Top Bottom