1972 Honda CB 350 project # 1

Little update... I thought I had all the electrical a worked out but I was wrong lmao ;D

I fired the bike up the other day and when I turned off the key to shut it off it just kept running. Figured out I had the coils powered up wrong and fixed that.

The only other thing that I know I need to fix in the wiring is the kill switch. I've been blowing fuses left and right trying to get it. But it's running again, and pretty good at that.

I've fouled out a couple sets of plugs trying to get the adjustments on the carbs right lol, just gotta find that sweet spot.

Joey

lbaker said:
How's it going? Get the new carbs worked out? I'm considering doing the same...
I found that my points plate was actually moving since the bolt holding it on was stripped. I got it tightened down as it should be and haven't had the chance to work on it since. I'm figuring that once I adjust the points again I should be good to go.

I'm in the process of moving and starting a new job so I've been super stressed/busy. I'll get it done soon though. On a lighter not I did buy an 04 R6 for a daily rider since my last post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 303
Ok so I've been gone for a while but I finally had the chance to tinker on my bike again! My parents split up recently so I've been super busy helping both move and figure out all that stuff.

I got it to fire up today, and idling good but when I try to get going it's like the bike has no power. Compression should be fine because the bike had ok power before the tear down. The bike just doesn't want to get up to speed, unless I give it full throttle through each gear and still then it bogs a lot!

Joey

Aircoolin said:
Ok so I've been gone for a while but I finally had the chance to tinker on my bike again! My parents split up recently so I've been super busy helping both move and figure out all that stuff.

I got it to fire up today, and idling good but when I try to get going it's like the bike has no power. Compression should be fine because the bike had ok power before the tear down. The bike just doesn't want to get up to speed, unless I give it full throttle through each gear and still then it bogs a lot!

Joey

Any thoughts?

Aircoolin said:
I have the new carbs on but I will have to check to be sure...
Joey

Ha ha ha, your not the first and won't be the last to make the assumption that new carbs are correctly set up and jetted for your bike.
What size di you get? 28mm will be easiest to set up, 30mm is easier to get hold of, 32mm is just too big
Aircoolin said:
Yeah I understand, I know the chokes are to help the carb to warm up, then once it's warm you can properly adjust and tune them to the right idle speed air/fuel etc etc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they are enricheners, the original carbs use chokes.
Check the plunger is all the way down, you really shouldn't need much if any choke in Florida.
BTW, I was in Sanibel last week, nice place, lot of bicycles, quite expensive ;D

crazypj said:
Ha ha ha, your not the first and won't be the last to make the assumption that new carbs are correctly set up and jetted for your bike.
What size di you get? 28mm will be easiest to set up, 30mm is easier to get hold of, 32mm is just too big
No, they are enricheners, the original carbs use chokes.
Check the plunger is all the way down, you really shouldn't need much if any choke in Florida.
BTW, I was in Sanibel last week, nice place, lot of bicycles, quite expensive ;D
I kinda figured the carbs wouldn't be set up correctly, I just didn't want to mess with the adjustments to much before I get some more feedback.
I did end up getting the 30mm, and I knew that was a little too much carb for the bike, but went through with it anyway since I had the plans on beefing up the engine down the road a little bit.

And yes sanibel is awesome I can't wait to go back, did you go to the "Island cow" for breakfast? A little pricey for sure, but the food there was phenomenal!

Joey

I can't believe how much I didn't do there,
No idea how many places we went to
Luckily my wifes friends parents have a place in 'The Dunes' so we will go back sometime (next time they get out of the Florida heat probably ;) )

crazypj said:
I can't believe how much I didn't do there,
No idea how many places we went to
Luckily my wifes friends parents have a place in 'The Dunes' so we will go back sometime (next time they get out of the Florida heat probably ;) )
The most fun my girlfriend and I had was going into the old antiques store right on the major strip that goes through Sanibel. I bought a couple old beer signs and she bought some old cannon photograph stuff.

By the dunes, do you mean hammock dunes?

No idea, possibly? ;D
It was just down the street to bike rental, off Sandcastle Road 8)

crazypj said:
No idea, possibly? ;D
It was just down the street to bike rental, off Sandcastle Road 8)
Oh they actually live on Sanibel. That's awesome! Go enjoy it man, life's too short not to do shit lol

crazypj said:
Yep, and I'm getting old (57)
You still got plenty of time! My problem is I don't have the money, 21 and working as a phlebotomist is the most generous job money wise lol

Still better than me, I was laid off 3 yrs ago, had a couple of surgeries so can't find a job

crazypj said:
Still better than me, I was laid off 3 yrs ago, had a couple of surgeries so can't find a job
Damn sorry to hear that man. Keep your head up and things will get better!

Joey

Can't believe there was a motorcycle mechanic job listed local (Orlando) requiring welding, small engine and diesel experience :eek:
Only downside, required US citizenship
I applied anyway 8)

crazypj said:
Can't believe there was a motorcycle mechanic job listed local (Orlando) requiring welding, small engine and diesel experience :eek:
I applied anyway 8)
Might as well, and good luck! Where do you live in Fl? I'm on the east coast by Flagler Beach/Palm Coast area.

crazypj said:
I applied anyway 8)
good luck to you sir, even if you are an alien :)

crazypj said:
Thanks ;D
I'm in Altamonte Springs, sister in law lives in Cocoa

Ah not too far away! If you ever go to bike shows send me a message and maybe we can meet up!

Xb33bsa:

Do you think jets are guna help these carbs out to get them running right? I looked up specs off of the honda twins website and order some that the guys over there said they have the best luck with...

Joey

Back
Top Bottom