My CB750 Love Affair

coyote13

Over 1,000 Posts
The Story

This month marks the 5th anniversary of the delivery of my 1978 CB750K. I loved the bike the moment I saw it, and knew I had to have it. I bought it off of eBay, for a price both I and the seller could live with, and had it shipped from Kentucky to Texas essentially sight unseen, other than the photos in the listing. It was delivered using Uship, and arrived in the back of a long panel van, stuffed in between a couple of old scooters and some other miscellany. The moment I fired it up, I knew I was in love. The SOUND, my god! It needed new control cables all around, though not immediately, and it took a throttle cable snapping a few weeks later to bring me around to replacing all of the cables. As a matter of course, I pulled and cleaned the carb bank, which I rejetted for the pod filters that the PO had slapped on. I considered changing them out to a stock unit or other, but instead did my homework on carb theory, function, and tuning, and tuned it as close to perfect as I could. The pods would stay, for the time being. They DO look pretty cool. I noticed the chain was a little rusty, and the sprockets worn, so I picked up a nice little 530 chain and sprocket set, a new rear tire which was desperately needed, and an oil and filter change. I rode it just like that for the rest of the summer, and most of the winter, when eventually a coil died on me. Always one to upgrade rather than replace, I picked up a Dyna S and some Dyna coils, new plugs and wires, and went to town. Once I had it timed, I had never seen it idle and run SOOOO smooth. Another oil change later and I was riding another season.

Now mind you, this is all while I'm still in college, on a college kid's budget, bartending for extra cash and lacking much in extra time. So when I started to notice a little bit of the "normal" CB head gasket leak, I paid it little mind and rode my beloved 750 as she was meant to be ridden.....hard. Fast forward a couple of years, graduated college, got a real job, bought a house with a garage, a couple motos have come and gone, a few girlfriends as well, and the CB remains, with really only minor changes. She's been through a few tail lights, went from a 4-2 to a 4-1, Progressive rear shocks, stainless braided brake lines all around, and tossed out the pods in favor of a breadbox from Steel Dragon. I won't say she's in the best shape of her life, but she has taken my abuse in stride and has never let me down. Yet....that pesky head gasket. It has gotten slowly and progressively worse over a few seasons of riding, to the point that I feel guilty whenever I walk out to the garage. So, last night, I put my foot down and said ....NO MORE! Something must be done! But, as I mentioned earlier, I'm not one to just replace. My bucket list for this bike began the minute I bought it. And so begins my adventure....

The Plan

Since most of my supporting items are either new, or in good shape, I am going to be focusing on engine performance, as well as some cosmetic upgrades. Wish list items are up for debate as to brand, vendor, etc., but this is the general outlook for the future of my first moto. If any of you guys have suggestions based on experience, feel free to chime in.

• 836 Kit, APE, Dynoman, etc.
  • Web #41a
  • Headwork by Mike Rieck (waiting to hear back)
  • HD cam chain
  • New seat and a toolbag to match
  • Paint spokes and hubs
  • Blast/paint/polish engine and covers
  • Possibly paint frame and other small bits
  • Rebuild front end, including steering bearings

Disclaimer: I have never done a full rebuild before and I have never done a big bore before. I have a good working knowledge from years of research and reading, but I lack hands on experience and I'm certain I will have questions.

And here's she is, as she sits today. Not a great picture, but there will be more....

Attachments

• IMG_5469.JPG
    IMG_5469.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 297
I'm in. Sounds awesome. I've emailed back and forth with Mike on doing heads for my 550. He's the man on that stuff.

I've never heard anyone talked up so much about a singular service, other than Mike and Honda heads. Been hearing that name since long before I even bought this bike, and still hear him mentioned regularly. If you need head work, call Mike Rieck. The guy's track record speaks for itself and I'm beyond excited to have him work his magic on one of my machines finally.

I remembered last night having read (a long time ago) about an eBay 836 kit, and I also remembered there being quite a bit of good feedback about it. Went to eBay and, lo and behold, there she is. 836 piston set for 120 bucks. SOLD.

Anybody have a suggestion for removing fork seals? I think I've tried everything and these little shits won't budge. I have one halfway out, but that seems to be where it wants to stay. Tried hot/boiling water, PB blaster, WD-40, flatheads, and a couple different pliers.

So I ended up getting the fork seals out by prying on them with the claw end of a hammer. Makes sense since it gives you two points of contact instead of just one with, say, a screwdriver.

I've run into a little problem though. The cables going to my DCC mini gauges are pushed up really tight against the back of my headlight bucket. Wasn't sure exactly how much bend was acceptable, so I took a quick run to check function and destroyed my speedo cable. Tach held on, luckily, but I need to figure either a different way to mount the gauges or a different headlight bucket, or some different cables that have a shorter/angled input sleeve. Does anything like this even exist?

Having trouble getting photos uploaded right now, I'll try again in a little bit...

Attachments

• IMG_5798[1].JPG
    IMG_5798[1].JPG
    975.9 KB · Views: 289
Thinking I'm gonna try to find a shallower bucket, or one with a skinnier protrusion at the back. The 7" unit DCC sells looks like it would work, I've got an email in to them to see if they can provide the dimensions. Thinking that will be the way to go.

Put in an order with Airtech today for a Thruxton style fairing, was told about three weeks lead time. Looking forward to getting all the bodywork mocked up so I'll be ready for engine work when "winter" hits (or as we call it here in Texas, summer pt. 2)

unfortunately the cables wont last like that ,you could put them right through the bucket with some very carefully/precisely placed entry/exit holes or just some big fookin' clearance holes

xb33bsa said:
unfortunately the cables wont last like that ,you could put them right through the bucket with some very carefully/precisely placed entry/exit holes or just some big fookin' clearance holes

Now there's a thought!

Test fitting the new seat pan courtesy of shiznits. I think it's gonna be just right...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    725.8 KB · Views: 283
Just mocking up XB, don't lose faith just yet ;D

I only have the forks slid up 1" but I haven't refilled the fork oil all the way yet either. The Progressive instructions said to fill to within 5.5" of the top of the fork, but brilliant me went with Honda's specs, which is only about 5.5 oz. You wouldn't expect them to be that different, but when I measured it was nowhere near 5.5" of the top of the tube.

Ahem...I also used a preload spacer that was about 1/2" too short. So, yeah, like I said.....mockup!

5.5" that is with the springs removed and fully bottomed out
and it wont make any dif on the ride height,well maybe a 1/16"
remember you are losing cornering clearance on a bike that doesnt have any to spare and making it speedwobble happy,if anything you want the bike a bit higher than stock fr and back unless you just cruise the blvd

Not sure Brad, but I will be fine tuning the forks once I get the motor back in. Got it pulled this week and am sending it off to the man, the myth, the legend, the only man I would trust my motor with, HondaMan himself, Mark Paris. Here's where we stand currently:

Attachments

• IMG_5970[1].JPG
    IMG_5970[1].JPG
    965.5 KB · Views: 263
Back
Top Bottom