Time to rebuild the bol d'or

bikeboy

Over 1,000 Posts
Well, I've de-commissioned the Super Bol D'or, because apparently my body doesn't 'appreciate' the riding position. Luckily for me, that means I have a whole host of goodies again at my disposal ;-) I also have a stockpile of 1100 parts that I'd planned to fit as an upgrade - mainly a front-end and swingarm.

In order to take advantage of the situation, I thought it was about time I went back and re-visited my original CB900FA, as it's been a few years now since the restoration and she's looking a bit tired.

I've recently bought a conversion kit from one of the guys over at CB1100.net, and have started fitting it. I've also fitted the 1100 swingarm, and 1100 forks, because the original 35mm units look tiny. While I had a spare set of forks already, I didn't have any 39mm clip-ons, so I pilfered a pair from my (also) spare VF750F bike. They seem to have a slightly higher rise, so I'll see what difference that makes when I can ride it. Already pushed a 900 steering stem into them, and fitted a new bearing. I've also got a pair of VF1000R calipers to install. For reasons that escape me at the moment, I painted the calipers gold after I'd rebuilt them. I'll have to go back and paint them black before I fit them.

VF1000R-calipers.jpg

Front is a straight-forward swap, with a little machining required to clearance the caliper hangers, which the guy is working on for me at the moment.

CB900F-F2-caliperHanger.jpg

Rebuilt the TRAC units, and waiting on some rubbers and circlips from DSS.

cb900F-F2wheel-front.jpg

Back is a little more involved, but clearly explained. I've still got to get a new bearing for the VF500 sprocket carrier, and a 520 rear sprocket, but all indications are that's all I need now.

CB900F-F2-rearWheel.jpg

The brake-side is all good to go.

CB900F-F2-rearWheel01.jpg

Nothing ground-breaking I know, but the old girl is due for a refresh, and this seemed like a logical step.

Waiting for some machining to spacers and caliper hangers, so decided to paint up the motor. It was rebuilt not long ago, so there's no internal work to be done.

allBlack.jpg

Used some VHT gloss black engine enamel. Put it on the vf750 and it's holding up really well. I powdercoated a set of covers satin black years ago but never used them. They're a perfect match for the paint, but I didn't do an alternator cover. Will do that as well at some point.

It seems my new motor may be ready in time to install in this version after all. I've bought a big bore kit to take it to 985, and had the barrels machined to suit.

machining.jpg

I've just about rebuilt a spare head bar for a couple of missing shims.

head.jpg

Then I get to open the spare crankcase and inspect the bearings.

blackCases.jpg

What a dilema ;)

Sign me up. I'm not generally into Honda's, but you do some great work Ian.

Got the caliper hangers back from being machined, and everything fits nicely now.

frontDone.jpg

Had to get some smaller discs because the ones I had were too large. No big deal.

Got the cases split, and no big surprises. As I suspected, I'll have to get new shells, but other than that it's good to go after a good clean.

cb900f-lowerBearings.jpg

Got some motor goodies rolling in now.

Vince and Hyde Racing in NZ produce an upgrade to the stock A cam chain tensioner and guide, as well as race-spec A and B cam chains

tensioners.jpg

new version on left, improved 1100 version middle, and 900 version right.

guides-chains.jpg

...and of course the big-bore pistons:

pistons.jpg

Still waiting for the modified oil pick-up that increases the volume of oil to the oil pump, and the new bearing shells.

cheers
ian

A guy in the Netherlands produces new rubber dampers (NLA) for the clutch, which in older units is the cause of the characteristic 'clutch rattle at idle' condition. Installation is fairly easy once the rivets are drilled out.

dampers.jpg

clutchDrive.jpg

The current best-practice recommends bead blasting the metal plates to improve grip, and replacing the riveted plate with an extra plain metal one.

clutchPlates.jpg

Another modification is to bronze weld closed this oil feed hole in the clutch pusher.

clutchPusher.jpg

While I have access, there's also a modification to the shifter rod the prevents a missed-shift-into-second-gear condition that happens sometimes on these transmissions.

shifterMod+.jpg

...and my new bearing shells from Honda turned up (ouch :-O)

bearings.jpg

ian

Not everything went according to plan however. Despite taping up and protecting all the threads and bearing surfaces, the sand blasting got into the lower steering bearing race. I was hoping to be able to re-use it. The Bearings are fairly new, and the outer race is a PITA to remove. Turns out I had to do it any way  Luckily I had a spare set ready to go.

blasted.jpg

So...bearing sorted its time to start rebuilding this thing.

Using the tried and true drop-frame-over-engine method stage 1 is completed:

stage1.jpg

On to the rear, and the swingarm is fitted, and rear wheel installed:

stage2.jpg

Then the front end is re-connected:

stage3.jpg

Then it was time to stop for the day, because I was a little distracted by the purchase of this little gem. Had to organise a courier able to bring it on home ;)

1100rd-01.jpg

I made a promise to myself to finish off the 986 before I get too carried away with the new toy. Otherwise it will spend the rest of its days on the lift  ::)

cheers
ian

Wow. Some very quality workmanship. Loving the build (especially those peg brackets). Sub'd.

bananas said:
Wow. Some very quality workmanship. Loving the build (especially those peg brackets). Sub'd.

can't take credit for those I'm afraid. Standard CB1100F units from Honda, but thanks ;)

ian

ABCanuck said:
Wow that is quite the collection of 80's Hondas! Where is the 1100r coming from?

thanks ;)

It's an Aussie delivered '83. Gotta truck it about 1800Kms from interstate.

Jealous. I love the 80's muscle bikes. Have a 1000f and the r's were childhood dream bike. Not a honda but I should be the owner of another of the same flavor in the next couple weeks.
01a6129a83ef1e1a1fc2ba60c44ea829.jpg

Back
Top Bottom