1979 Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe

Re: MOTO GUZZI V50II Detailed Cafe Build Diary

• motofiaccone, very cool website. I really like your aesthetic. Both in bikes and in women! :)

Slice, thanks again man. Appreciate your enthusiasm for the project. :)

50gary, I looked up the Race Tech fork emulators, and its definitely piqued my interest. Its the kind of thing I would definitely look seriously into in my "phase_02" of the project. Nice to know, and thanks for the pointer.

The lithium battery definitely is something I want to look into now. Did a quick Google search and didn't really find exactly what I would be needing.
    Do you have any pointers here, who do I talk to? What would work for this bike? How much does it cost? etc. Have you used them? This really is a great suggestion, and solves a lot of issues! The battery on this bike is MASSIVE!

As for using the existing plastic fender and modifying it, - well funny how you miss stuff right under your nose! Great suggestion. I do want to eliminate as much plastic from the bike as I can. Im not religious about it, so if its the best solution, then I'll use t it.

"Baffled" most certainly intended :)

Wow! can't believe I missed this! Im usually all over Guzzis and BMWs! Awesome idea and build so far man!

Dale said:
Please let me know what you guys think, and whether this is a good solution, or I'm missing something here... :)

I'm not familiar with your carbs, but if they've been designed to feed from a common airbox (like Hondas CV series), the you'll have performance issues running them on pods. You'll be chasing jetting issues trying to sort them out. Maybe the Guzzi's are different??

Love what you're doing.

cheers
ian

Hi Ian,

The thought did cross my mind, and I'm sure that I will have to change the jetting somewhat...
I really think it will be worth it though.

The bike is running a Dell'Orto PHBH 28 BD on the right and a PHBH 28 BS on the left...

I've got a set of newer Dell'Ortos from a 1980 model. But not sure exactly what they are, haven't spent much time on the carbs yet.

----
Hey doodoo. Thanks for the kind words.

( 12_Motor )

Just spoke to the guy who's gas flowing and skimming the heads. Says they should be ready by Friday.

Finally!

I’ve been waiting almost 2 months. The December shutdown compounded by the fact that he was finishing up a lot of loose ends with other customers, ( and I wasn't calling him every day ) meant that my job was de-prioritized. It’s not a big deal, as I know this guys work, he does a good job, so I was willing to wait. I didn’t really need it up until now, so pretty stoked about getting it by the weekend.

In the meantime, I’ve buffed up the tappet covers, and made up head guards...

I made up a DXF file for the head guards and gave it to a local CNC shop.

head_protectors.jpg

heads_cleaning.jpg

head.jpg

Head_headguard.jpg

[Edit] > The final product

TappetCovers.jpg

Once you start polishing you cant stop. Various other polished bits...

Aluminium.jpg

Nice job - I love Guzzis.

here's a pic of my 98% completed Le Mans Cafe Racer back in 1995 'ish.

I just got all the parts together to complete it and a Danish guy made me a ridiculous offer that I couldn't refuse ! One of those "wish I still had" bikes.

re: the carbs - ditch the airbox, go with velocity stacks or cones [ stacks look better ].

I relented on the Red theme and eventually went with stainless downpipes and Ducati Conti "silencers".

img511.jpg

WOW, Ive *never* seen a bike painted like that before...! Now that's unique! Cool.

Yeah I know what you mean about having to sell stuff and always wishing later on that you didn't need to, and that you still had them. Ive got two such vehicles, a bike and a car. Anyways...

Thanks for sharing this.

Yup, I'm pretty adamant on the air box going.

Loving this build thread and all the detailed planning (instead of just diving in with an angle grinder and a big hammer...i'm guilty of this). Can't wait to see how this turns out.

nice work on those guards. very 'factory' looking

ian

GoBears0305 said:
Loving this build thread and all the detailed planning (instead of just diving in with an angle grinder and a big hammer...i'm guilty of this). Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Well, I gotta tell you your bike is one of my favourites, and I've started following your build. So whatever you're doing its working IMO. That '81 Honda CX500 is rocking. :) Contrary to what other guys are saying, I even like the larger seat on it...

Thanks for the encouragement. You know how it goes - you gotta keep motivated, or it just falls by the way side, especially when you're up against a bunch of issues etc.

bikeboy said:
nice work on those guards. very 'factory' looking

ian

He he, thanks Ian. I can't take any credit for the design of the guards - I used reference that I found on the internets.
But "factory" is exactly what I'm going for - making the bike look as if it was "meant" to look that way off the shelf, but not.

( 12_Motor_Continued... )

Just got my crankshaft back from balancing.

Crank_balanced_01.jpg

( 12_Motor_Continued... )

Prepping for the bottom end.

BottomEnd_02.jpg

BottomEnd_01.jpg

BottomEnd_03.jpg

BottomEnd_04.jpg

New seals, gaskets, oil filter...

Engine_gaskets_01.jpg

Seals.jpg

HeadGasket.jpg

Timimg cover etc...

Cases.jpg

So, this has been my shopping list for the motor and gearbox so far:

Cylinder base gasket
Head gasket
Intake manifold gasket
Front transmission case gasket
Rear drive flange gasket
Exhaust gasket
General Gasket (basic) set for V50
Piston ring set
Seal kit, engine/transmission-rear drive
Clutch friction plate
O-ring, cylinder head small twins
Camshaft seal for small twins
UFI oil filter
Big End bearings
Main bearings
General bearings
Cam Chain

And for services:

- Gas flowing heads
- Skimming heads

Ok, so I'm in the thick of it.

I'm pretty apprehensive about doing this on my own.

I would normally have asked my dads help when I got stuck, and to check that all the tolerances and torquing etc are all correct, but he's not available.

So I'm considering getting a guy I know to reassemble the motor for me. Peace of mind knowing that a pro has done it right.

I've pumped so much time, effort, not to mention blood money into this project that I'm thinking I should just be smart about it. I want to be able to do this myself, or should I say, have the *confidence* to do this myself, but ... maybe next time... Being a little chickenshit? mmm.

You are actually the king of the polishing wheel - Anymore and your project needs to get renamed "mirror". ;)
-Slice

Yeah well not much else to polish up except maybe a few aluminium parts left, like the gauges mounts that I still have to make up. I'm toying with the idea of chroming the front mudguard instead of painting, and thats going to be only shiny stuff left.

---------

Uggh. I got the heads back from the gasflowing guy, (nice job thankfully) and then checked the barrels with the new piston rings. The barrels are out of spec... like 0.5mm out! Its just another unforseen expense Ive got myself now - having to sort the barrels out. Really feeling irritated with this build right now. I know it will pass, but its just another thing. The only *unknown* remaing is the brake cylinders and carbs. After that its ok, I think. So heads have gone in to have the barrels sorted.... :mad:

You could send the pistons and cylinders to Millennium Technologies and have the bores Nikasil plated they will do the bores to match the pistons. Nikasil is smoother, rounder, and lube friendly.
Cheers, 50gary

Thanks for the pointer 50gary. Ill look into these guys. Also going to stop cry'n like a baby over this, and get on with it. I was really frustrated yesterday, and this motor has turned out costing me a mint.

But anyways, thats what I signed up for, so moving right along!

BTW, does nikasil plating require specialilsed rings? I seem to remember something like that...

( 13_Gearbox )
Getting ready to clean up and inspect.

Gearbox.jpg

New clutch plate! :)

ClutchPlate.jpg

Nikasil will work with regular piston rings typical Weisco or similar just not a chrome ring. The cost would be $190.00 per cylinder and you send your pistons to them for fitting. Side note; I just got off the phone with a Millennium salesman (Scott), I'm in Michigan USA so I mentioned snowmobiles. He told me at this time of year they receive 250 snowmobile cylinders per day. Busy shop.
Cheers, 50gary

As far as the battery what you want is the lithium nanophosphate made buy A123. you can find them on e-bay as single 3volt cells, and wire them up, or buy them pre wired. here is one source http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31183
If you choose to wire your own you can fit then into more unusual locations (I have mine inside a tube on my frame ;) )
you are better off if you find cells that have tab prewelded on to them. Soldering directly to the battery must be done carefully so as not to heat the battery up to much. I got mine from this guy on e-bay with the tabs prewelded http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/sz_ohmygod
I was very happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom