New CNC parts line.

I was actually thinking about that while driving home from work. I've been working on one for my mill, but it sure would be slick for this type of work.

They're easy enough to make with a rotary, and a tail stock. But, that way, you don't have a rotational 5th. On these, you'd want the 5th for the bolt holes that go in at an angle.

J-Rod10 said:
Out of curiosity, how many ops you running on the triple?

My guy says 4. Finished part, well almost.

Attachments

• 20170809_183228.jpg
    20170809_183228.jpg
    700.4 KB · Views: 238
  • 20170809_183223.jpg
    20170809_183223.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 238
crazypj said:
The important bit, what's it going to cost?

Heh, working on that. I'm guessing I don't have to tell anyone here this isn't going to be a cheap part with all that machining. It's going to largely depend on how big the order is, both for this piece, and other pieces all on the same order.

If it comes in much more than $125 you'll still sell quite a few but doubtful to the majority of people on here.
Probably 'worth' $250 or more, I know you have to start with a very expensive block/plate, material and machine time are going to be a bit high?
You already checked some of the other yokes people are making here? CB350/360 is known issue, they go around $100~$120 last time I looked.
I

crazypj said:
If it comes in much more than $125 you'll still sell quite a few but doubtful to the majority of people on here.
Probably 'worth' $250 or more, I know you have to start with a very expensive block/plate, material and machine time are going to be a bit high?
You already checked some of the other yokes people are making here? CB350/360 is known issue, they go around $100~$120 last time I looked.
I

Cognito's nicer ones go for 249, the cheap flat piece of aluminum ones go for 129. Imo this is much nicer that what is available, I have to get good shots of the beautiful contours, my cell phone did not do it justice. My cost will by high on a low production number like 10, don't care to speculate on an exact number in case i'm wrong. If I did something like 100 I could get it down for sure, there's a lot of setup time for this piece. I think the total actual run time for everthing is 35-40 mins each. This is probably a piece I would make very little on, but it's nice to offer any how.

;) I just threw out some numbers to see where it went, knowing you would have already priced the competition.
Personally I think $130 for flat plate is way overpriced, the design you have is going to need a much thicker piece to be able to machine all the curves. Good looking piece is going to cost a lot more. Probably be best to make a replacement for USD forks first, new stock piece would be damn expensive simply because the forks are newer (plus, as I already mentioned, there ain't too many different sizes) If tey were drilled for 'risers/bar clamps it would open up a market that doesn't exist at present, USD forks with MX/flat track bars. To get a neat looking handlebar mount is pretty difficult and stock top yoke is real tin where they get drilled for bar mounts (Used to work with a bunch of 'stuntaa's')

crazypj said:
;) I just threw out some numbers to see where it went, knowing you would have already priced the competition.
Personally I think $130 for flat plate is way overpriced, the design you have is going to need a much thicker piece to be able to machine all the curves. Good looking piece is going to cost a lot more. Probably be best to make a replacement for USD forks first, new stock piece would be damn expensive simply because the forks are newer (plus, as I already mentioned, there ain't too many different sizes) If tey were drilled for 'risers/bar clamps it would open up a market that doesn't exist at present, USD forks with MX/flat track bars. To get a neat looking handlebar mount is pretty difficult and stock top yoke is real tin where they get drilled for bar mounts (Used to work with a bunch of 'stuntaa's')

Definitely something we can do. Another I'm thinking of offering is new cnc brake arms for drums. They are all in sad condition at this point, and I saw a guy repopping tz350 drums that is doing it just for the 1 rim, looks awesome!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-TZ350-TD2-4LS-Leading-Shoe-Front-Brake-Cafe-Racer-TZ-Yamaha-TZ3/202015114293?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D955ece44a4544625b0fcd7dbe12d5254%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D202015114293&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

On this. I'd like to offer those hubs too one day.

That's a good price considering what a genuine TD/TZ costs. They have been bid up to crazy prices. It's so far outside my price range that I don't even look any more though..

crazypj said:
That's a good price considering what a genuine TD/TZ costs. They have been bid up to crazy prices. It's so far outside my price range that I don't even look any more though..

If I had something it made sense for im sure id rationalize the shit out of it and put it on a card, but the only bike im doing for myself at the moment doesnt have a front end wide enough to fit it. And im not cutting into a 2k hub! Maybe when i get to the sohc 750 sitting in the corner ill design one...

Question for whomever. Drum brake arms, you think it's possible to make a universal set for each brand? I have 3 different honda ones (160mm, 180mm, 200mm) and thought I'd play with them all at the same time to see if there's a way to do it. If there is, I can cnc a lot of these things for cheap, both the male and female parts.

You'll likely need broaches for the female splined parts. They could be cut on an EDM easily enough, though. Single point broaching them in a cnc would be rather time consuming, or cutting them. You'd have to run something like a .030 end mill.

I have a couple rotary broaches to do brake and shift tabs for rear sets. Those things are awesome.

Slater, and Polygon Solutions have quick turn arounds for roto broaches.

The only thing that stopped me making alloy operating arms for the CB 350/360 (plus CB77 and CB450 hubs) TLS brakes I have was broaching the splines. Both need 'new' arms because the chrome is bad. Link rods in stainless steel are the easy bit
The CB77 are a nice shape so worth getting re-plated sometime

I've looked at rotary broaches many times for doing brake arms and shift levers, such cool tools. It's hard to justify the cost for a hand full of parts though.

Last one I bought from Polygon was $600, add another $300-$400 if you don't have a holder, and $150 for them to reverse engineer it.

I was buying brake and shift levers, and welding a tab to them for the last several years. Topped $15K in levers last year, so broaches were bought.

Back
Top Bottom