80 XS400 whiteout

Man those carbs, never seen anything like it. Also, would love to know more about your powder coating process - looks awesome. Would you consider doing a separate thread just for the construction/process/use of that? Would be real popular I rekon!

Looking good! I was looking into homemade powder coating but didn't go that route for my current build. From the result of this I think I'll be PCing from here on out

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
Man those carbs, never seen anything like it. Also, would love to know more about your powder coating process - looks awesome. Would you consider doing a separate thread just for the construction/process/use of that? Would be real popular I rekon!

For sure, what specifics would you like detailed or like to know?

I'm using a broken Harbor Freight/Chicago Electric gun. It's got a crack in the pickup tube that I need to fix. I removed the diffuser and shoot around 10-15 psi. Anyway, I'd like to get a better gun eventually but I bought the HF gun as a first gun to try out. The only downside is good guns are money, which is counter-intuitive to the home-on-a-budget PC'er. I'm on the lookout to pick up a good dual voltage gun for cheap if something comes up.

The HF gun works great for single coats but like with many guns getting good second coats, like if you want to clear coat or doing candy colors, etc, can be hard at times. To get good second coats, at least in my limited experience, you have to half-bake the first coat and shoot the second coat while the part is still hot, around 150-200*. If you have a designated space for shooting the powder then a grounding rod will really help a lot of the second coat issues.

I buy the powder from Emerald Coatings/Powder365 up here in Ontario.

I use a toaster oven for small parts and I built a larger oven using the elements from a kitchen oven and put them in a steel filing cabinet. Kitchen ovens are hard to use since they aren't very tall, makes hanging parts difficult.

I blast the parts in a cabinet using recycled crushed glass. 50 lb bag for $12 from TSC; long lasting, works awesome and is super cheap. Have walnut shells for delicate parts as well but mostly use the crushed glass.

I can do a bigger, more detailed write-up with pictures if people are interested. Powder coat is much better than paint IMO for parts that can be baked. Easy clean up, no hazardous fumes and much more durable.

That was exactly the info I was looking for thanks. I think I will buy a cheap gun and try build a cabinet like you did. I have an old oven lying around my workshop so I could always use the elements from that. I am not sure I would be needing a lot of second coat stuff. Is that common? Like if you took a swing-arm for example to a professional, would they put 2 coats on or just one?

Good tips with the blasting too. I was tossing up buying sand, glass or even soda... But you make it sound like glass is the ticket - at least for stripping and prepping. Maybe I will still get some soda for carbs and engine casings etc.

I agree about PC. I have done a few really good rattle can paint jobs myself but the strength of the paint lets it down. You can also get 2-pack paint in spray cans these days but I would still prefer PC I reckon.

Cheers!

Hey man, just wanted to say thanks again for the info but most of all the inspiration for the powder coating. I bought a huge steel cabinet last week and spent a day or so kitting it out with a rack, insulation and two heating elements form an old oven. Haven't tried it yet but it was a cool project to do! Cheers

Hey man, just wanted to say thanks again for the info but most of all the inspiration for the powder coating. I bought a huge steel cabinet last week and spent a day or so kitting it out with a rack, insulation and two heating elements form an old oven. Haven't tried it yet but it was a cool project to do! Cheers

Great!

How'd some stuff turn out?

Long time since I posted here but have some little updates to share.

I was having battery issues with the bike. They'd develop a dead cell, sometimes within a few minutes and miles, others after 60+ minutes and miles. No smoke, no explosions, no bulging of the sealed AGM batteries, just a dead cell in battery. I added a ground from the regulator wiring directly to the frame, taped up the battery terminals and ran the headlight through relays rather than directly through the mini-switch at the bars. I have her leave the headlight on all the time now incase it was overcharging. That seemed to have fix that problem.

These Emgo shorties are just too loud. I've packed them with exhaust wrap and it's still very loud at anything past 4-5k RPM. I'd like to make a 2-1 for it but will require moving the reg/rec as I have them mounted under the engine.

The engine is burning (can't find any leaks on the ground so assume it is burning it) a fair amount of oil despite a top end rebuild. I'll take a more in-depth look at to make sure it's not leaking and if I don't find any I'll take it apart over winter to see what's going on in there.

I have since painted the front fender to match the tank and added license plate bolt lights.

List for over winter:

To do list for over winter:

Engine rebuild to see what is going on if necessary
Make a 2-1 exhaust and quieter muffler (maybe an M4 megaphone?)
Trail Tech Vapor gauge
New clutch fibers and springs
Do something about mirrors
New side stand spring

IMG_20151008_143054_zpsnpzdqdny.jpg

IMG_1925_zpsuoz1pnpq.jpg

IMG_1930_zpsxh292act.jpg

Bummer about the battery. Can totally relate to the loudness of the shorties. Sounds like a good plan for winter!

Love the riding/context shots btw ;D

Bummer about the battery. Can totally relate to the loudness of the shorties. Sounds like a good plan for winter!

Love the riding/context shots btw ;D

Yes, I've repacked them twice. The first time I used wrap and did it somewhat loosely. I just re-did them tighter and it's no better. I'll definitely make a 2-1 it. Has anyone used an M4 megaphone on an XS and care to share how it sounds?

Back
Top Bottom