Tim's SR500

Re: Tim's SR500 - Nov 2 2010 - wheels!

How about one of those Champion tanks with the upturned top lip?
flattrack_racing_seat_003.jpg

awww.. all this baloney about tanks... forget the tank... Ride it old-skool... just run a thermus bottle... enough to get you to Tims hortons and back!!

triracer.jpg

hey, listen - the first thing I thought about was running an external oil tank and using the in-frame oil tank as the fuel tank.

i actually think that would be really cool. Or maybe chop down a tank to about 1 gal, but long like the rd tank chopped in half width and length ways with the oil tank as backup.

Yeah, but then I need to figure out how to ride this thing to Pennsylvania and Alabama ;)

I've got a few irons in the fire and thoughts on the brain - something will sort itself out while I focus on getting the wheels on, sprockets lined up etc. The tank can pretty much be last, as it's not likely going to mate up with a seat or anything.

three words, four syllables: Backpack Gas Tank!

pacomotorstuff said:
Regarding the number plates, we're checking to see if there are any more sets in storage - maybe even find a NOS pair. They were sold by Class C Racing Products, which has been out of business for awhile now. They also had a matching aluminum front number plate; the last one of those I had, got sold at Milton in October but maybe in a dark corner of the storage area there might be more...
If there's any interest new ones, I'm tracking down the old patterns and layouts to see if it makes sense to do a run of them. It would be ironic - Vintage Motorcycle Fiberglass selling aluminum parts.

I'm interested!

Alrighty...

Started taking shit off the SR this afternoon - found myself with a couple hours to kill :)

Got the new swingarm and wheels temporarily mounted. Need some bearings / axle swapping to make things work, but the swinger is in place. I have some interference with the rear brake pedal mechanism, but shouldn't be too difficult to work something out.

And I will need longer shocks - not sure how much longer, and I may have the shock mounts brought forward on the swingarm too. I'm not thrilled with the heavy slant on the shocks and need to have some welding done on the swingarm anyhow, so moving the mounts is no biggie. I think I might swap the swingarm out for a Radian arm. Too bad I sold the one I had 3 years ago for the XS build. I'll sell this one and buy a Radian arm instead for a more traditional look.

The current inspiration for the build is dune-buggy / skate / BMX / beach / California. Reliving my youth, or at least all the things that inspired me in my youth growing up in the cold wilderness of the Canadian prairies.

And I was sitting there contemplating my seat (the seat on the bike) and I glanced down and saw a skateboard that's been kicking around my garage. Instant seat-pan - skateboard deck. Maybe - don't want this to be too contrived, but it's a perfect shape, width etc. Just needs one end hacked off (I'll find a neat old deck out there somewhere for the job).

I think the number plates are a bit on the large side of life - we'll see how things progress.

IMG_3827.jpg

hotrodmagcover1_1.jpg

dougschneider_pool.jpg

bmx2a.jpg

Super_BMX_Dec_84_pg67.jpg

Re: Tim's SR500 - Nov 7 2010 - wheels on the bike - more inspiration and ideas

Er, ahhhh, that's the left # plate you have mounted on the right side of the bike (at least, as far as dirt track mounting goes...).
Regarding shock angle, you will get the maximum rise rate (which we all strive for) on your shocks if you measure the eye-to-eye length, divide it by 2, take a right angle from the shock midpoint and the resulting line should intersect with the swingarm pivot point. Then adjust mounting points, shock length etc.
Then there's the droop angle and all that sh1t to deal with as well. I think you are right though - either longer shocks or move the shock mount forward. If you look at Cheney Engineering, they have a multiple location lower shock mount that can be welded to the swinger. If your swinger is alloy, then you'll be fabbling your own as I think Jerry's is chromoly or something.
OTT, love the swinger, love the tank. Gonna be some serious cuttin' though Lucy, to get it down over the frame though. Get out the jigsaw, put a metal cutting blade in it and have at it. You know you want to...
BTW, the guy I got the wheels from for your SR is tickled pink that they're going on a bike that's gonna be used - too much stuff in too many places collecting cobwebs if you ask me - let's get it out there and use it!
Pat.

speaking of old school BMX.. these wheels remind me of the Haro BMX I had growing up.. Gold and red... dam that bike was ugly.. LOL

Attachments

• kawasaki-tracker-750.jpg
    kawasaki-tracker-750.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 469

Already switched back to the stock swinger. Turns out this fat rear tire fits just fine in the stock arm, and I wasn't liking the FZR arm, coupled with the interference issues with the brake mechanism.

If I stumble over a Radian arm again, we'll see. For now, stock it is, once I sort out the rear caliper carrier (too short for the rotor).

Pat - I need to see one of these number plates in action - got any pics? Where on the bike would they have been mounted?

Funny thing - I had a tinge of guilt tearing into this bike, as when I was taking parts off, they all came off so nice and easy - no seized bolts, swingarm pivot slid right out (known problem with these bikes), the thing is CLEAN under all the dirt...

Then I smashed the airbox to bits to make myself feel better and get back to reality :) Grinder's coming out soon!

Ok - new pic with the stock arm in place and no number plate. Going to be cleaning up under the seat next, hacking off the back end of the frame (welding in a rear loop from XS650), sorting out rear wheel spacing and brakes yada yada. Work from back to front then take it all apart, clean up the frame, powdercoat everything, new tires, spokes, handlebars....

Fun times!

IMG_2437.jpg

Cool Tim! You know i love the shape of that tank. What is keeping it so high on the frame? the tunnel depth i assume. I like the number plates if you are gonna go all out tracker. but if it was me i would stick to your inspiration bikes. or cut those number plates down. i think if you cut the top off about 2 inches that would make them look sleeker. Should be cool though. Keep it up and hope to see you again.

It's the width of the frame at the seat-end of the tank mostly. Nothing to be done about it unless I wanna get into cutting the underside of the tank up and reshaping it, which I'm not sure I can even do.

If I welded and was confident enough working with thin steel like the tank, I'd have been hacking it up already. I don't mind the tank sitting up high, except for that look I think it should be an even smaller/shorter tank, like on the Deus bike in my inspiration pics (they sell that tank for a very reasonable $1500 + shipping).

Custom tank is the plan :)

Jeez Tim,
Just cut the damned bottom out of the damned tank and get on with it! Somebody, somewhere, will be able to get the damned thing back together. A damning statement if I ever heard one...
OTT, everything else looks kewl.
Pat

Tim said:
It's the width of the frame at the seat-end of the tank mostly. Nothing to be done about it unless I wanna get into cutting the underside of the tank up and reshaping it, which I'm not sure I can even do.

If I welded and was confident enough working with thin steel like the tank, I'd have been hacking it up already. I don't mind the tank sitting up high, except for that look I think it should be an even smaller/shorter tank, like on the Deus bike in my inspiration pics (they sell that tank for a very reasonable $1500 + shipping).

Custom tank is the plan :)

These guys any use to you ? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLAT-TRACK-TANK-TRACKMASTER-STREET-TRACKER-SR-T140-/260677166121?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cb191e429&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:GB:101

Do you have the stock tank Tim? If so... Cut the bottoms out of both. Swap. Trim. Have it welded. Should work just fine. Ive seen it done on some chop projects. Let me see if I can find any info.

I do have both tanks and gave some thought to swapping out the bottoms.

If I was going to just buy a ready-made tank I'd probably buy this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cafe-Racer-Alloy-Tank-Yamaha-SR500-Flat-Tracker-TW200-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a0b805fa0QQitemZ180581588896QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Which isn't a horrible price considering what you're getting, but I'm thinking one-off custom is what this bike deserves ;)

Tim said:
I do have both tanks and gave some thought to swapping out the bottoms.

If I was going to just buy a ready-made tank I'd probably buy this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cafe-Racer-Alloy-Tank-Yamaha-SR500-Flat-Tracker-TW200-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a0b805fa0QQitemZ180581588896QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Which isn't a horrible price considering what you're getting, but I'm thinking one-off custom is what this bike deserves ;)

PM Kelvin aka: Konix... I believe he has that exact tank on his sr500...

Back
Top Bottom