el burro pequeño - LS650 scrambler build

Re: Suzuki Savage LS650 Scrambled Egg

Started electrics today.
New coil position and bracket made from generic bookshelf brackets.

strang said:
seat foam done. bit shabby but hopefully the guy whose gonna sew it can make it look pretty :p

thinking of leaving the rear fender on the swingarm/bobber style just for a bit of spice - what you recon?

Is that florist foam? If so it can't be used as seat foam. It'll crumble and turn to dust. If not... Nothing to see here... I'll head back to the bleachers. ;)

Yes florist foam. Hoping to fertilize as I ride and grow a humble garden to feed the poor.

strang said:
Yes florist foam. Hoping to fertilize as I ride and grow a humble garden to feed the poor.
it wont work :-\ like dude said it will break down in a short time ..what were you thinking couldn't you tell when working it that it would be shit for seat foam ?

You say that now but wait till I'm rocking the hi-way with some fresh geraniums blowing out my arse. Just think how popular this build will be on valentine's day? :)

Muffler finished:

Carefully used the edge of a diminished cutting wheel to buzz off the GT185 tank mounts. Glad I did, plenty of rust having fun underneath:

With those pipes and your mini-garden.. valentines day will be a good one ;)

Thanks Von and pwa :)
Perforated tube insert has two plugs, one with a hole, one intact, to force the exhaust into the outer cylinder.

Here's the ascetic look I want on the tank. Am going to brush on 2 part clear coat.
Structural issues discussed elsewhere.

Centre stand fully functional - ended up making the spring adjustable.

Love those signals :eek: I dig the hodgepodge aesthetic you got going on with this bike. Is the rear fender attached to the swingarm or is it just resting on the tire?

thankyou gentlemen.

My NOS gt185 tank fell through (flakey ebay seller) and gn250 tank won't fit so am crackin' on with me old mucker gt185 tank again.
Rust seems just surface rust except the badge area so cut that out:

made some patches and named the bike:

Went ok. Used professional jewelry type propane torch with a large nozzle for a bushy flame. Can get very good control with this setup it seems.
I think soldering on a spherical shape is hard for a first go. I did a test on a couple of flat bits and it was dead easy. With the curve of the tank it was much harder; the solder wants to slip around everywhere, or go under the badge area and slip into the tank. Pesky solder.
Was pretty worried about this job, so well happy this evening it turn out ok.

Etching metal is pretty easy if you ever want to try it. I use a 1:1 solution of copper sulfate and salt. Ferric chloride and water (producing Hydrochloric acid also works. Sulphuric acid works to (10 - 25%) when diluted. You can use a wax like tusche, beeswax or several other products to act a resist. Even a sharpie works well. Coat the areas where you do not want the acid to etch with sharpie or wax, then soak the metal in the acid solution. Vinyl decals and many printable stencils work as a resist too. You can get pretty elaborate with your designs and produce very clean results.

Decided it needed at proper vintage trials hobbled together front mudguard, so I hacked up one I found on ebay:

Back
Top Bottom