pics of my RYCA cafe bike

sbaugz

DTT BOTM winner
Just finished up my RYCA cafe conversion. details about conversion kit is here http://www.rycamotors.com
Started off with this 2007 Suzuki ls650 Boulevard aka savage

1278704597_92082361_1-RIDE-2006-Suzuki-Boulevard-S40-650cc-Cruiser-AudubonU-of-L-1278704597.jpg

stripped it down to frame and motor. lowered front end a couple inches. Upgraded the springs to progressive. chopped the stock front fender down.

P1050485.jpg

Sent most of the engine covers, and just about anything else on the bike to the powder coater for black. Applied the always controversial header wrap because i didn't want chrome headers.

P1050500.jpg

Mock up showing the new body parts. The kit includes custom work on the stock tank. Its chopped down in size to make it shorter. THey did a fantastic job with the fiberglass parts and the tank.

P1050732.jpg

image showing the supplied battery box, along with the K&N filter in place of stock airbox. EMGO shorty reverse cone muffler was sent to be ceramic coated black.

P1050901.jpg

rearsets:

P1050911.jpg

image showing all the black powder coated parts installed including muffler, engine covers, front fender, brake rotor, rear drum brake cover, etc. Used Dunlop K70 tires on front and rear. Also, as part of the kit, the rear wheel was re-laced to an 18". I had to have the swingarm modified to accept the big dunlop rear. I added some daystar fork boots as well.

P1050904.jpg

Bike is done. Used Joker Machine concealed bar end mirrors. Paint work was done locally and he did a stellar job. Color is vibrant metallic copper from a 2011 Volvo S60 with black stripes. Rear taillight has built-in turn signals. The license plate has since been relocated to a tucked in position under the seat against the new battery box. The way its mounted in the pictures didn't have enough tire clearance.

P1050964.jpg

P1050962.jpg

P1050961.jpg

P1050952.jpg

P1050949.jpg

mine was around $2600.
Sounds like a lot, but its amazing what they included- right down to a new speedo cable, air filters, jet kit, rearsets, new grips, pipe, all hardware, etc, etc.
I got it in bare metal/ fiberglass so I got a $500 paint credit. I also took a tire credit too, but upgraded the front shocks and did the swingarm mod. I think a complete kit, painted, runs over $3100.

That's an amazing conversion - just a before/after pic and most people wouldn't believe it!

I like what you did. They had their original conversion on ebay this week with an opening bid of 6 grand. I don't think it sold. My daily runaround is a dr650se so I'm excited for you. I'll be curious to see your ride report after you put some miles on it.

Sorry to bring this up from the dead, but I have a question: what is that little lever for at the front of the engine? Looks like maybe part of some forward controls?

Nice bike btw!

Big Rich said:
Sorry to bring this up from the dead, but I have a question: what is that little lever for at the front of the engine? Looks like maybe part of some forward controls?

Nice bike btw!

its a decompression lever. The stock bike had an electronic decompression lever that activated when you touched the starter button. It opens a small release valve so that the starter motor doesn't
burn out while trying to turn over that large piston. The new tank on the conversion sits much lower so the electronic decompression had to be removed. The lever you see is the re-purposed shift
lever that now functions as a manual decompression lever. Right as I am starting over the motor, you have to touch your foot on that lever for a brief second.

I am courious how the bike handles and preforms... I have been
thinking about this conversion for awhile now...

bmbmoto said:
I am courious how the bike handles and preforms... I have been
thinking about this conversion for awhile now...

Handles very well- much better than the stock S40. The front end is stiffened up and lowered. The rear end is stiffened and the rear wheel goes from 16" to 18". The bike loses about 80 pounds picks up a few HP with the air filter, re-jetting, and open pipe. All of this helps significantly. Also, tires you put on there will make a big difference too- I chose Dunlop K70's and I like them alot. Some people are putting more modern sportbike tires on there conversions, I would assume that makes it handle a little better. Overall, I couldn't be happier with the conversion and would highly recommend.

That's a great looking bike...I had a friend who purchased a savage when they first came out in 1989, he loved it.

How do you like yours?

popssss said:
That's a great looking bike...I had a friend who purchased a savage when they first came out in 1989, he loved it.

How do you like yours?

the RYCA is a great bike. I have a couple other cafe bikes but the RYCA is my daily driver. Based on the very reliable savage. I cannot comment much on the difference between the savage and RYCA handling because I never actually drove a stock savage. I bought a new savage in the winter and never even drove it before tearing it apart.

While we are talking about RYCA- they are now working on four new kits:

Tracker:
16.jpg

Scrambler:
23.jpg

Bobber:
bobber.jpg

and finally the CS-2, which is basically the same as my CS-1 except it has a two-up seat.

Back
Top Bottom