68 CL175 Project Vicarious

Big R

Heaven is so far away.
Ok, so I started another thread earlier and just got carried away so I 'm gonna start all over right here.

Looked pretty good the first time I went past
0826091732b.jpg

but then saw this side
0826091732.jpg

The Po actually said "the carbs need cleaned out for it to run, but I don't know why"
0826091732a.jpg

Re: 68 Honda CL175

After a buddy of mine dropped it in the yard I decided it was a good time to tear it apart and clean it up

Got some of the parts that were destroyed and tried switching the paint scheme
1006091744.jpg

The blue is a little much on the frame for me though
1006091745.jpg

So after another tear-down this is pretty much where it sits now
IMGP2622.jpg

Had to replace the new headlight already (bolt seized up somehow after being on less than a month), got fenders fitted front and back and did a poor fabric job on the seat. But it looks and feels better than cruising around right on the frame!
IMGP2623.jpg

Here is a pic of the chrome paint with and without satin clear (per request). The brake lever doesn't have any clear on it
IMGP2631.jpg

And a pic of the pipes without the heat shield. Like my $10 chrome tips?
IMGP2635.jpg

One more thing- I still have the original beat to the bone skid plate mounted under the motor. Anybody know if I could make a fiberglass one and keep it mounted close like this?
IMGP2632.jpg

like the tips. whered you get em? I paid more like 30 each for mine. Ive been curious on the wrapping up both pipes into one. Take a better profile shot. Looks good!

Does this bike not have a front frame member? Is there nothing from the triple clamp down in front of the engine?

The enging is actually a "stressed member" in the frame. Like a ducati, or really a lot of small displacement bikes.

At a whopping 175cc's I doubt there's a whole lot of "stress" ;D. But yeah, those tips are actually just a sink drain trap I had laying around. Just hacked them up with a cutting wheel. I put them on there just to divert the hot exhaust gases and soot from the shock but you can tell how much I've run it without them.

To wrap 2 pipes like that all I had to do was start with the left pipe, wrap it from the engine side of the pipe to the first heat shield mount, then start from the rear of both pipes wrapping all the way up so it overlaps. Does that make sense?

Nice work, especially on the pipes! Not too shabby, man. You planning on keeping it pseudo-crosser style?

Cheers - boingk

Yeah Boingk, I'll be hitting some minor trails with it. Nothing too crazy but it's kinda hurting my build process. I'd love to get some clip ons, run with no rear fender, get some nice street tires, etc. but that's no good as soon as you get in some grass. My Dad had an old CL350 when he was young and always talked about how much he loved that bike. Said he never got it registered or anything - if the cops saw him he would just head right into the woods! Not that I would ever do that.

Speaking of that rear fender: anybody ever try to get some clear acrylic and run it in the back?

Is this 175 the same size roughly, as the later model 175s? Like the 73s etc. Without the sloper motor.

I saw a 68 160 & the thing was tiny, just curious on if the 75s had the bigger frame

Do a compromise - fit clubmans and some dual-purpose tyres. Not as good as the legit straight-bar & knobbed tyre dealies, but it'll work for both worlds in a way.

As for that rear fender, ever thought of using bedliner on the underside of the seat?

Cheers - boingk

Curbcast, I wish I had an answer for that. I'm curious as to what parts are interchangeable from the different years and size motors myself. Pretty sure that they do share the same frame but even that's a guess. But my 175 is tiny regardless. Some friends from work said if anything happens to the motor I could just drop it out and put on some bicycle pedals. Ha ha ha

Those knobby tires are as good as gone (I'm just waiting for some good snow to try them out on) so I was thinking a 50/50 or maybe even something along the lines of 75/25 street/off-road tire. And the clubmans - it's pretty tough to stand up gunning it in 1st while you're bent over reaching the bars like that. Which is also another reason I won't be getting rear-sets: makes reaching the brake tough no matter how I have it set plus the front pegs that are on now stop the motor from laying flat on it's side. But if I don't drill the bars for the wiring I could spin the bars and grips pretty easily. I think it's a 14mm wrench and a phillips screwdriver.

I'm still pretty undecided what to do about the rear fender. If I can find a fiberglass pan that is long enough (and doesn't look absolutely silly) maybe then I could do away with the fender completely. Right now that tire whips everything possible at my backside. One step at a time

Just a though about the rear fender deal... On my 350, which is street only, im cutting a plastic front fender fron an old xs500 in half. Than im welding an 90deg angle bracket onto the swingarm. Some bolts, locknuts, and rubber washers, and it should hold quite well. Itll only be about 6" - 8" long b/c of clearence issues but it should stop most of the crap from makin its way forward. Once its painted black and mounted nice and tight on the tire it will be barely noticable. An old plastic dirtbike fender would work well also, as a lot of then are a more rounded shape.

Ok - little progress report: got a whole lot of nothing done. Except for frying the original turn signal relay as I was messing with the wiring. But i had another laying around the garage so it's ok. I keep looking at the wiring diagram and have a couple extra wires from the harness that seem to do nothing. One is black that is powered through the ignition switch somehow but the other is yellow w/red stripe. So I'm thinking from the color of the yellow/red that it should have something to do with the generator/regulator but it's not showing any power on the multi-meter and the bike runs fine without it. The thing that bugs me is that I know at one point in time it served a purpose - and it's not on the diagram anywere. Whatever

I took a torch to the brake lever and bent it a little closer to the motor since I was resting my foot on it every time I got on the bike. I've got plenty of time to worry about the fender/seat but I am leaning towards hacking up an old windscreen for my Suzuki and using it. It's got a light tint, pretty nice curve (would need bent a little bit to fit) and I've never seen anybody use clear plastic for a fender.

Von, whenever you get that fender for yours finished, take a pic and post it? I'd like to see that.

Mike, when you say back from the blaster, do you mean sand/shot? Cuz if you need something sand blasted just let me know - I do my own out here.

I was out today trying to straighten the tank a little bit and I started thinking, I think Boingk might have a good point about the bars. Maybe I will look into getting some clip-ons. The rubber that support my risers are so old that it's actually making my handlebars crooked anyway. I'll put that on my grocery list of stuff to buy. I'm still set on getting rid of those knobbies though, pavement just chews them up.

Ya, sandblaster. My buddy works in a machine shop of sorts, and i bugged the shit out of him for long enough that he finally caved and blasted my frame. Unfortunatly he forgot the swingarm, but no biggie. Its already pretty clean. Just needs a repaint. I may hit ya up for some bits later on though! Thanks!

As far as the rear "fender" deal, the plastic one I wanted to use is M.I.A., so im going to try and cut the orig rear down. Ill send ya all the pics once I get rollin. Hopefully this weekend.

Ok, I know it's been awhile since I did any kind of update but it's been insane around here for the past couple weeks. I started re-doing the seat since it looked like leathery crap and started making some new side panels. And I found a 12v battery that I'll probably be running in the future. Got sick and tired of trying to rig up some kind of inner fender/splash guard for the rear tire so I cut the original fender in half. Still wanna trim some more of that though.

Old Bike Barn is screwing the pooch when it came to my replacement headlight so I was looking on Mikesxs.net at the 6.25" headlight assembly. My actual email is being in pain in the arse so I can't ask them directly but does anybody know if that assembly includes EVERYTHING (i.e. the trim ring and all the other small bits)? I don't care about the 10mm bolts - I'm sure there's about a hundred laying around my garage.

I'm in the middle of my work week so I'll probably post some pics this weekend. You believe I gotta work at 7 pm on Thanksgiving? Kinda bitter about that. Either way, Happy Turkey Day!

Sorry for the lack of updates. Pennsylvania's deer season is in full swing and my Dad is having health problems along with my wife so finding time in the garage is tough.

I did order some new shocks (along with some other people - weird timing) and slapped them on there. Really diggin the new stance of the rear end.

Also ordered some new levers but had to do some fitting to get them on. They have that goofy rubberized ball on the ends but thanks to Joe and the $50 thread they will be coming off soon.

Found some pegs to fit the front (poorly, but they fit). Unfortunately since my old pegs were black rubber and the new ones are a bright aluminum I never noticed that the mount on the right was "tweaked". Something else to straighten out.

My original front fender was bent so no matter what I did the tire was always pointing to the left. I have the materials and hopefully skill to make a fender brace out of steel plate. 3/16th's thick sound about right or should I go with 1/4"?

Still need to buy:
Clip ons from RocCity
Seat from GFTP
Headlight + bucket somewhere

I will be posting pictures of all this later today.

Thanx - Rich

Ok, here goes: first a little close up of the peg
IMGP2651.jpg

and a shot from the top. Notice the peg on the right is pointing a little back and the one on the left is point towards the front?
IMGP2650.jpg

Quick shot of the lever
IMGP2652.jpg

And a pic of the new Redwing shocks (pardon the messy garage, the elves are busy this time of year)
IMGP2653.jpg

Back
Top Bottom