'69 cb350- Gumby Tinkerdeere (aka Gumpy).. (one sexy 'sickle)

Re: 1969 cb350- Gumby Tinkerdeere

My girl is starting to show some interest. She's poking her head out in the garage a bit more frequently these days. Of course if she wants to see me much she sort of has to with all I have going on out there. She has an engineers mind, Her father worked for NASA, but she is also very creative (mother's side). She likes the stuff as it reminds her of her dad in the garage working on his old MG. I keep telling her to pick out a wreck and we'll do it together. Not quite there yet but maybe next year.

have to be honest first doily paint job and fish net paint masking wrap on fenders before shooting came from my girl! she also showed me how to use water droplets prior to air brushing to get pool effects in the corners of the circles... she said she used to do that on posters for cheerleading something or other when she was in H.S.... made me alot of money!

i am sure i can scroung up some pics and scan them... it is super easy to do! i used to do the doily effect inside tank dents... that is what i plan on doing with my CB350 bobber tank, hides some of the inprefections of the curve of the dents... the fish net deal was super SUPER easy, just stretch that sucker across the tank shoot... when dry remove, clear wet sand buff! done... air bursh water droplets is a bit more on the tricky side but a good beginer technique if you are just getting started... ill ask her to find our photo albums from college when i get home... something tells me i will be in the attic!

go! said:
does she like riding?
try showing her the creative side, rather than the mechanical side. it seems like girls don't show as much interest in the mechanical aspect. maybe have her start with a bike that mostly needs cosmetic work, and a carb cleaning. i started with an xs250 that needed cosmetic work and some carb work, and gradually got bikes that needed more and more work. i was nervous about taking apart an engine and messing something up. i finally got myself a bike that was literally becoming part of the ground..
dirt-1.jpg

i figured it had nothing left to lose, so i wasn't so nervous about messing something up.
hope that helps ;D

wow thats a mees of a bike there :eek: Nope shes not much on riding, I did tell her today that I want her to pick the theme for the next bike tho, she seemed kinda happy about that, but her usual reaction to oil and metal chips is still usually: "Gross! what are you doing on my kitchen table!?" oh well, I'll work on it.

Cant wait to see how the rest of your build goes, it will probably be what I use to introduce her to it;D

IMG_0394.jpg

i'm saving the cam for tomorrow night

You're much braver than I. Well done getting it back together. Those rusty bolts hurtin' ya though!

--Chris

chrisf said:
You're much braver than I. Well done getting it back together. Those rusty bolts hurtin' ya though!

--Chris

i didn't need to get into the crankcase, so i left it alone. that isn't a part that i would sandblast, either. i'm going to polish it up, but wanted to put the cylinders back on before i get to that. i'll take those bolts out and blast them. i promise everything will be all purdy soon!
can't wait to get to work on the frame. the new blaster gun came in today.. unfortunately i was working until 9:30 so i'm not doing anything on the bike tonight.

things that should be done this week:
blast the frame, and cut the little tabs off that hold on the side covers. streamlining!
sand crankcase, and blast bolts
blast wheels, put new tires on
hopefully more, we'll see

i finally got around to blasting the frame and wheels last night. unfortunately, the front wheel has too much pitting for me to be able to use it.
that's ok though, i have a 19 inch wheel with a disc brake. i'm going to order another 18 inch wheel that has 40 spokes and use the disc brake. (the original wheel only had 36, so i couldn't use the disc brake)

Hey el:

you're getting project creep! Why not paint or powder what you've got and save the hard stuff for those nasty winters you get up there?

--Chris

chrisf said:
Hey el:

you're getting project creep! Why not paint or powder what you've got and save the hard stuff for those nasty winters you get up there?

--Chris

because i want to be riding it by then!!
i know, i'm ambitious.

new seat making next week ;D
blasted the frame and other wheel tonight, ordering a new front wheel asap.

VROOM VROOM!!
0709092254-00.jpg

Looks like a good fit! Can't wait to see the seat on it? Hey, can you give us a rundown of what you are doing? you've got it all blasted, Your motor is in good shape, so you are probably getting close to paint/powder and reassembly?

yeah, it's the perfect size bike for me. just under 5'4", and 95 pounds.
i'm making a new seat, the taper on that one didn't quite work with the bike, and the bumstop is a little bigger than i wanted it.
i blasted everything.. i'm ordering an 18 inch, 40 spoke wheel so i can put a disc brake from a cb450 on it.
then getting the bike painted. i'm keeping that a surprise ;D i can't wait though!!

i'm getting pretty close to reassembly. i've started ordering/receiving all the pretty parts.
got kuryakyn mini bullet turn signals in the mail yesterday, they're perfect. yay!

Do you want to part with that seat? If so what are the dimensions? I have a bunch of things going that that might work on.

yeah, i'll part with it. it's 8.75 in wide and i think 25 in long

How much do you want? And i'm too drunk now to go measure the shit so you gotta give me til tomorrow to figure out where its going, but I think I can make it work.

Did I hear Chris mention that you do upohlstery? (sp?) I've been fiddling with the sewing machine a bit trying to do a simple cover for a brat style seat. can I run a few things by you?

give me an offer for the seat

indeed, i do upholstery. you're welcome to run some things by me, send me a PM.

go! said:
give me an offer for the seat

indeed, i do upholstery. you're welcome to run some things by me, send me a PM.

LOL. That's a mild understatent. You should see the work she does--seats are cake for her. Put it this way: I send my seats half way across the country because I go with the best.

Hey Go:

have a look at those seats I sent you. If they don't work, I can fab up a narrower seat for you. Of course, if the shape isn't to your liking, no harm.

--Chris

AAAHHH, It all falls in to place now. (sobered up ;D Coffee now)

Back
Top Bottom