My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project

Well I made another mock tank which is basically a slimmer version of the first one but I like it much better. I still may remove 1/2" or so from the overall height. I would like to make it a bit longer but I will be running m-x bars so it would make the seating position uncomfortable. I will now model a seat/tail unit based on the KR250 unit that I posted previously. I still like the idea of using the Honda RS125 tail unit so I may design a tank to suit that one as well. What do you all think?

Attachments

• Tank 7.JPG
    Tank 7.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 262
  • Tank 6.JPG
    Tank 6.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 275
  • Tank 5.JPG
    Tank 5.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 255
  • rs tail.jpg
    rs tail.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 256

The RS125 seat looks very modern I like it a bunch. A complementary tank could be cool, it would modernize the whole platform. I'd like to see a mock up? That seat might go well with my old Yamaha tank?
Cheers, 50gary

sweeeeet. it's not at all that i am ungrateful but i wish my dad was more like you, mate.
how's your son enjoying the build?

I'm curious about what you have in mind for a tank to go with the RS125 tail. I do like that tail.
Bike is startin' to look awesome. Keep up the good work.

Hi.
I think it´s a great project. I´m loking foward to see this bike finished.
I think that second tank looks great, I want to see it mounted with that seat... It could be awesome...
In my opinion, There is something i would retouch: I would round the end of the swingarm, i think it looks better and I would try to fit classic rims and stainless spokes wheels... It´s just an opinion...
Bye

Attachments

• Brake+2.JPG
    Brake+2.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Brake+2 rounded.jpg
    Brake+2 rounded.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 263

manolon6, The problem with the rounded treatment to the S/A is.. how would you adjust the chain tension? Look's nice though.
Cheers, 50gary

Johnu its looking killer man ! like the tail for the RS always wondered what a old style tank and a new style tail would look like . really like mixing things up and not cookie cutting ! i do agree that the swingarm looks nice rounded but not sure if you can with the adjuster there !

Damn brother I dont know how I missed this build. Its funny we have a very similar vision for our bikes I used a similar front end and wheels, from an 09 ZX-10 but I fitted the ZX-10 swingarm and rear wheel to mine as well, and worked like hell to keep the rear 190 tire.

Did u get anywhere with your front sproket? I'm just about at that point and was thinking of using the same meathod. do you have any more pics of how you did it. I'd be really interested in seeing them.

Love the build.
Cheers
D.

smvirili said:
sweeeeet. it's not at all that i am ungrateful but i wish my dad was more like you, mate.
how's your son enjoying the build?
I was fortunate that I got to restore bikes with my dad when I was growing up. It feels good to share the same experiences with my son. He's doing ok with it but get's frustrated that we don't move forward fast enough (understandable).

Going to attempt the the mock tank to suit the RS tail tomorrow. Problem is, while it should be easy enough to make the mock up what I have in mind will be very difficult to fabricate in sheet ally. A couple of deep double curvature areas to form.

Rattlecan,
Well I hadn't seen your build either, I took a glimpse earlier but will look through it all later. Looks like you have mega fabbing talent! I like how you widened the frame to accept the new swinger. On my bike the chain is going to run within 3mm of the frame!
I haven't finished the front sprocket yet but I know how I'm going to do it. All you do is get an old sprocket and grind the teeth off then turn the diameter so that it is smaller than the sprocket you are going to use. Then put both sprockets on the output shaft and tighten nut. Tack the two together then remove and weld all the way around. Then you have to machine the center out of the new sprocket so that you can get the nut and washer in side then weld this side. It"s easier than it sounds. A couple of pics below of the parts just laying on top of each other. You have the TIG welder so no problem there, I only have MIG and oxy-acetylene so I'll have to pay to get it welded. There is a guy on customfighters.com name is cabbie that built a sweet 750 Kawi and he got hold of an offset counter sprocket already made. Maybe search for the build on that site, it's a wicked bike.

Attachments

• DSCN1883.JPG
    DSCN1883.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCN1885.JPG
    DSCN1885.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 239

Im wondering when you weld the spacer to the sproket to get your off set right how do you hold it on to the sproket shaft? C clip or large nut? just wondering in case i ever need to do this on a build down the road . and have to ask what KTM is that in the back ground ?

you have to machine the center face out of the sprocket (like a counterbore) for the nut.

DreadRock, on my offset sprockets I found there is maybe 3 threads exposed to get the nut on just enough to hold the sprocket and spacer in place for the tack welding.
Note; when you do the tack weld place the toothed sprocket on the shaft first then the toothless spacer so it's easy to weld with the backside out. I tack 12/6 3/9 positions then place it in the bench vice for finish welding. Final thought, make darn sure of your proper gear ratio, you don't want to do too this many times. I hope that's was your question?
John, I have never hand formed (hammered, unless you have access to an English wheel?) an aluminum tank go for it! It will be great to watch.
Cheers, 50gary

Yep thanks for the info always good to learn something new !

Thanks John,
I think I'm gonna attempt it this weekend. I've got a lathe and a mill as well so it should be no problem.
Do you know if the center of the sproket was hardened as well or just the teeth?

As for your tank, I say try it, you've got nothing to loose, and a ton of knowledge to gain. I just picked up an english wheel as well, but just havn't had a project to try and use it on yet. But I'm pretty stoked about it.

Have you tryed torch welding the alu yet. This is something I'd like to learn but have never known anyone local that can do it to show me.
Cheers.
D.

Dread, just as Gary said I have a couple of threads left exposed on the shaft so I am able to just thread the nut on slightly to hold the two in place. If you don't have any theads exposed you could always counter bore the sprocket just deep enough that it would give you room to get the nut on but still leave some of the splined area intact to keep it aligned with the spacer. The KTM in the background is the same bike I am riding in my avatar its a 525exc.

Attachments

• 525exc.JPG
    525exc.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 250

Rattlecan said:
Thanks John,
I think I'm gonna attempt it this weekend. I've got a lathe and a mill as well so it should be no problem.
Do you know if the center of the sproket was hardened as well or just the teeth?

As for your tank, I say try it, you've got nothing to loose, and a ton of knowledge to gain. I just picked up an english wheel as well, but just havn't had a project to try and use it on yet. But I'm pretty stoked about it.

Have you tryed torch welding the alu yet. This is something I'd like to learn but have never known anyone local that can do it to show me.
Cheers.
D.

Good Luck with the sprocket! I am hoping the center (splined part) of the sprocket is less hard than the outside was, which took forever to machine it down. I have a lathe but not a mill would love to have one of course! I use to have access to all kinds of machine shop equipment where I worked but now I am limited to what I have at home.

I am certainly going to attempt the tank, the plan is to do it all by hand with mallet and bag, hammers and dolly's. I might build my own english wheel but I am hoping to do the tank without using one. I have done ally welding with oxy-acetylene many years ago, it is not easy! I plan to buy a new torch, a Meco Midget which is supposed to be very easy to control and is good for use with ally. Again I wish I had a TIG but it's too big of an expense for me at this time.

Any opinions on what grade of ally I should use for building my tank? I was thinking of using 3003 (16 gauge). I will be welding it with oxy-acetylene.

Back
Top Bottom