My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project

Ok well this will basically be the tank I will be making. It will be 1" longer than the styrofoam model and maybe 1/2" lower on the overall height. I will also match the angle at the front of the tank to the fork angle when looking at the side profile. Don't laugh at my weak attempt at using paint to draw a very rough outline of the tail/seat unit. At this point I don't think I want to use the RS125 tail that I was thinking of using.

Attachments

• Tank F2 - Copy.JPG
    Tank F2 - Copy.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 244

Big Rich said:
$600?! I'd say it's a steal. For some odd reason, any old Suzuki's cost an arm and a leg around me. Good luck, I'll be watching this one too.

The reason they cost more is because Suzuki has such good fit and finish.
Look at any Suzuki up close and see what I mean.

Thanks Donald, I own 3 Suzuki's currently. Along with 3 Honda's and a cheap Chinese scooter. I meant in my previous statement that any Suzuki cycles that show up locally are generally much more expensive than other areas.

Bought some bars and clamps on ebay for $30 shipped, a great deal. They are from on 05 KTM in perfect condition. Started making an adapter plate (3/4" 6061 ally) to fit the bars to the Kawi top clamp. Wish I had a mill to machine the outer shape.

Attachments

• Bars 1.JPG
    Bars 1.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Bars 2.JPG
    Bars 2.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 264

Looks great - any reason you couldn't just drill holes into the triple tree?

Tim said:
Looks great - any reason you couldn't just drill holes into the triple tree?
There are cut outs in the original top clamp right where the holes would need to go.

I fill welded the back side cavities then bored the holes to hold the bars.
On your current system could you drill the 4 top clamp hold down holes and then drill and tap the new plate from the bottom up to bolt them together? That would show 4 less bolts from the top view. Loctite of course.
I've done 2 of these and I know the underside of the triples are webbed for strength but it makes it difficult to mount bars sometimes.
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
I fill welded the back side cavities then bored the holes to hold the bars.
Cheers, 50gary

Unfortunately I don't have a TIG welder so I wasn't able to go that route.

A bit of progress. Started the mock tail/seat unit, I got the profile mostly done but I'll probably shave some off the top to slim it down a little. I will be adding a generous radius where the actual seat and tail part meet. Tomorrow hopefully I can do the rest of the shaping!

Attachments

• tail 1.JPG
    tail 1.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 252
  • Tail 2.JPG
    Tail 2.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 256

I can't wait to see how this project turns out. I'd agree, shave down the back a bit. I'll be following this thread to see it to completion! then i will copy it all...hahaha

Styling. John, usually don't say much about the styling of bike builds because it's the builder's own vision. How-some-ever.. I think the reason the tank looks a bit tall it not because it is but rather that it's too short on the bottom. The tank and seat do not rise above the top of the steerer tube so it's not too tall to my eye. I would extend the tank mock up bottom line (and the seat mock up) below the frame rails, this would draw the eye down and close the gap somewhat between the engine and the tank. It would also hide the top frame rails. I particularly like a lower tank "wing" that flares out over the engine head. I once saw a Gilera Saturno with a race tank much like that, pure sex IMO. My two cents. As always I really like your work, this is going to be a two stroke Superbike.
Cheers, 50gary

Thanks Gary. I had thought of extending the bottom of the tank and seat down to the bottom of the frame rails as I do not wish to see the top rails. However this makes the tank a bit more difficult to build! It still may happen though.

Ok well I did some more shaping today and I am pretty happy with where its at now (I may reduce the radius at the back slightly). The tail will house the battery and electrical components and maybe the oil tank also, so I am reluctant to make it any smaller than it is right now.

Attachments

• Tank f3.JPG
    Tank f3.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 206
  • Tank f2.JPG
    Tank f2.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Tank f1.JPG
    Tank f1.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 228

Really looking good johnu ! tank and seat are coming together man , starting to look fast ....

This is for you Gary. The tank covering the top frame rail.

Attachments

• Tank x2.JPG
    Tank x2.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 213

That's about what I had in mind. cleans up the bottom line. I suspect there's no interference between the tank and triples? If you made that lower strip merely a "skirt" it may be easier to make? I envision the process as a two part assembly with the top portion of the tank being one large piece (incorporating the skirt) and the bottom (the second piece) being the floor of the tank inserting into the upper and epoxied to form one piece. On my tank I used fuel proof foam stuffed inside to eliminate fuel slosh during hard cornering. It's the same foam used in auto racing fuel cells. Not cheap but a cool trick.
Cheers, 50gary

Yes I plan on that bottom 25mm being just a skirt. Incidentely the tank is going to be ally so the top and bottom (as you described) will be edge welded together. The actual tank will have the same angle at the front as the forks so a little different to my mock up. so far no issues with forks hitting the tank.

Opps, I had forgotten you mentioned the aluminum tank/seat as a possibility.
Cheers, 50gary

Awesome.. Tank looks better in its latest, lower stance. But what's my opinion matter?

Keep up the nice work!

Back
Top Bottom