Cl200 Points Plate, were there two versions made?!?!

Classic5

Hi Experts,

I'm in the middle of a 74' CL200 rebuild and have ordered two replacement points from two different companies and neither of them fit because the centering pin is too big.

I've looked online and found two different versions of the points assembly plate that has a small centering pin hole for the point to fit in and one with a big hole.

Were there two versions of this plate made in '74 or is one OEM and the others aftermarket? (see attachments for a visual of what I'm talking about)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Large hole.JPG
    Large hole.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 375
  • small hole.JPG
    small hole.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 389
Good question. I don't recall seeing one with that large hole, but I usually fit an electronic ignition and throw the points in the recycling bucket. I used to just buy one GL1000 Dyna and fit the spare module to a stock plate or keep it as a spare just in case a module failed. There are other cheaper electronic ignitions available now from China that appear to work well.

Interesting, Do you know if these electronic ignitions work well for smaller bikes like the 200? I took a quick look and saw a few different models of conversion kits for $60 bucks, is that pretty standard?

I know a few people that have tried the Tytronic ignitions with luck. I have no personal experience, but I'm getting good reviews.

The reason I mentioned the GL100 unit is that the backing plate is the same size as a CB160/175/200 and so on. We use Dyna on our CB160 based race bikes and I have a Dyna and a Tyronic system ready to be split into two for two CB160 projects in the shop - one is a race bike and the other is street cafe racer style.

I want to say that the Tyronic was for a CB72/77 and IIRC, it uses the same backing plate as a GL100 or CB160-200 series.

Back
Top Bottom