1968 cb450k1 engine rebuild question

Grayson

Ive built a few bikes but never done a full engine rebuild on a bike. I pulled the jugs off my 1968 cb450k1 the otherday and started messuring the cylinders to see of they were within the servicable limit or if i was gonna have to get them bored over (standard - 2.7560) (limit - 2.7600) but i took a ton of measurements and im getting an average of 2.9017 anyone have any suggestions? Can i bore it bigger? Was it bored to 2.9000 and now i just need to find some new pistons to fit this or maybe just new rings if i clean up the existing pistons. Thanks for your help in advance.

Sent from my SM-T377W using DO THE TON mobile app

My experience with the 459 is that there are very few OE standard size pistons available. The Service manual should tell you how big the 1 over 2 over 3 over and 4 over sizes are. Typically you get pistons, then have the bore done to match. I suspect there is still room for another bore if needed.

TheCoffeeGuy said:
My experience with the 459 is that there are very few OE standard size pistons available. The Service manual should tell you how big the 1 over 2 over 3 over and 4 over sizes are. Typically you get pistons, then have the bore done to match. I suspect there is still room for another bore if needed.
Awesome thanks for the info
edit: it looks like i can overbore to 74mm just wondering if anyone has done this and if there is any issues that is could cause down the lane? im not trying to build a race engine or anything. most of my engine parts ill be replacing with ome parts, I just wanna bring some new life into this old bike and do it properly.

Sent from my SM-T377W using DO THE TON mobile app

THR racing will sell you a pair of 74mm pistons that are suited to 93 octane street gas.

Back
Top Bottom