'77 CB550 The "Sake Bomber"

Busted Knuckles

Been Around the Block
This past summer I came across this bike. Bought it from a garage tinkerer, and I have to say, he did a pretty decent job. She looks good, but is a little rough around the edges. I was riding it a couple weeks ago and snapped a throttle cable, so I figured "what the eff, why not tear it all apart and see what I come up with?"

Here's what she looked like when I brought her home.

gujyta2y.jpg

u7enezuj.jpg

adupe8un.jpg

Just happened to have a CBR929rr laying around...

udeqy7e7.jpg

And besides...this front end looked so, I dunno, OLD!

tetepygy.jpg

Not too bad for a little while's work...

3y7uby2e.jpg

3ata8y3y.jpg

3y5u2ypa.jpg

ru4ydypy.jpg

Stay tuned...more to come!

'77 CB550 Winter Project.

Oh no...you have to run All Balls tapered bearings. Speak to Alex there...he's a Jedi with that stuff. This is just a dry fit anyways to get an idea of fitiment and stance.

Christmas time has taken its toll on me shop time-wise. I did get my frame hoops for mine and my wife's bikes in the mail(Thanks Cafegoose). I also scored a set of CBR1000 Repsol wheels from a co worker who is now running BST carbon wheels on said CBR. I got them to primarily mock up the bike with the forks...but now after seeing them on the bike, I'm kind of thinking a Repsol Cafe would be baaaaaad ass!
pymyryry.jpg

yjema8ar.jpg

yze8epug.jpg

Re: '77 CB550 Winter Project.

Looking good. 8)

If your not going to need that old spoke front rim.... I'm intrested.

I'll let you know, Mossy. I may use it on my wife's bike I'm building, the whole front end, that is.

Haha, I love the fact that a broken throttle cable was all it took to set you off into a custom build. I think a Repsol Cafe would be a pretty tits bike. Keep us posted please.

Well, the parts are slowly trickling in. I got my V-rod headlamp assembly tonight (ok, I know, not exactly classic "cafe" styling...but I just LOVE the look).

9eja2umu.jpg

8uhepyme.jpg

Other stuff should be in this week as well.

New throttle assembly and cables
Motogadget control module and bar switches (I've got to pare down this rats nest of a wiring harness)
Tank sealant kit

Question for anyone out there reading this boring thread of mine. I saw that there's a company that makes a replica of the boxed swingarms for the 750ss'. Will one of these fit on my 550?

Be very carefully with that Harley headlight....
If it leaks any oil on your front tire, you could be in big trouble. ;D

I heard about that, but luckily I haven't had that problem yet! This thing IS leaking blinker fluid, though...I've GOT to get that handled.

Mossy21 said:
Be very carefully with that Harley headlight....
If it leaks any oil on your front tire, you could be in big trouble. ;D

This ^^ is hilarious.

And I agree that the headlight looks great. Keep at it, I'm working on a 71 cb500 at the moment, enjoying where you are taking this one.

Well as cool as it looks, there's NO flipping way the 1000 rear wheel/tire combo will fit.

ma3e9esy.jpg

9aqe4u7u.jpg

de9ume6e.jpg

Who knows? The rim itself clears, but there's no way in hell the 190 tire will fit...not even sure a 180 would fit. I would LOVE to run a modern wheel just because it's a little bit different, and I HATE truing spokes. But if I have to run spokes...I have to run spokes....

I've got a swingarm, but the 190 rear tire is about an inch too wide. I'm bidding on a 600rr wheel as we speak, and will have them powdercoated to match each other.

Bradj recommended a zx6 swinger, so I got one of those last week, I wanted a boxed arm, and this one fits with minor mods. I'm still torn on whether to run the stock swinger or the boxed one. I'm sure I will spend countless hours just staring at it till I decide.

sweet, because that orange looks awesome.
i think a boxed swinger will be a great upgrade

I like how your messing with those CBR wheels on your ride. Not a classic. But its different and looks good when properly done... Something I'd like to do myself.

Reminds me of Rusty Olive's rear setup. Believe he ran a CBR on his rear. You should look into his build or contact him, if you don't know about him. Might give you more of a clear setup instead of buying parts to fit that rear setup.
RustyOlive.com

MexiChriS said:
I like how your messing with those CBR wheels on your ride. Not a classic. But its different and looks good when properly done... Something I'd like to do myself.

Reminds me of Rusty Olive's rear setup. Believe he ran a CBR on his rear. You should look into his build or contact him, if you don't know about him. Might give you more of a clear setup instead of buying parts to fit that rear setup.
RustyOlive.com

Thanks! I'm sure I will...

Back
Top Bottom