'77 CB550 The "Sake Bomber"

Well, in looking at the aluminum swingarm, it doesn't look like I will be able to split and widen it and keep it "safe". So back to the drawing board. Getting a second stock swing arm and grafting them to widen it properly. My dad's friend is probably the most gifted fabricator that I personally know, so I trust him.

I probably won't have any updates for a couple weeks, as next week is both my wife's and my birthday, and we are heading to Vegas for a long overdue mini vacay.

On a side bar, anybody following this want to buy that boxed swing arm? All you will need to do is weld on shock mounts and shim it at the pivot point. It will facilitate up to a 160 rear wheel...

ryjamyha.jpg

PM me, and we will work something out :)

Sounds about right. Thats why I ended up making my swingarm. Just couldn't find the proper fit from others.

Cool! Happy Birthday to you and your wife! Have fun in Vegas. ;) lol

@MJ, I thought about that for about 2 shakes, I just didn't want to have the additional length on the wheelbase.

@Cam, thanks sir...it's my wife's first time EVER in Vegas, so it should be a blast.

Dirt bike is a possibility. But going to long. Could cut iy down. Buy if you are going to that much work. Make one to fit your ride perfect.

Awesome! Sounds like it'l be a blast.
I have never been. I'm to broke to go.. Can you take me too? Hahaha.

Couple of parts came in before vacay!

Second stock swing arm to widen for the 180 tire surgery
avu4ymu4.jpg

And a 4 into 1 header pipe.

pazy3uhu.jpg

Hey man, nice build!! ;D I have not visited this cafe section before and I did not read your entire thread. I saw that you are lookin for a swingarm set up. I grabbed a GSXR swingarm off ebay for real cheap, like 50 bucks or less if I recall. I had bushings made to match the stock pivot bolt to the arm and I had ears welded on to run dual shocks. It was almost a straight bolt on affair with some spacers. No problem runnin a nice big 180 tire. Just an option. Anyway, build on dude, lookin great. 8)

Also you can probably run a CBR F2 rear wheel in the stock swinger with some minor mods.

My 1981 750F, ZX-6 front end, GSXR rear end.

005-56.jpg

003-45.jpg

ctluba said:
Hey man, nice build!! ;D I have not visited this cafe section before and I did not read your entire thread. I saw that you are lookin for a swingarm set up. I grabbed a GSXR swingarm off ebay for real cheap, like 50 bucks or less if I recall. I had bushings made to match the stock pivot bolt to the arm and I had ears welded on to run dual shocks. It was almost a straight bolt on affair with some spacers. No problem runnin a nice big 180 tire. Just an option. Anyway, build on dude, lookin great. 8)

Also you can probably run a CBR F2 rear wheel in the stock swinger with some minor mods.

My 1981 750F, ZX-6 front end, GSXR rear end.

005-56.jpg

003-45.jpg

Thanks, sir. I've given the more modern swingarms some consideration, but I don't like the "buttress" that the mono shocks mount to and then there's the added length. I'm trying to keep the wheelbase as close to original length as I can. My friend who's helping me with the swing arm is quite the fabricator, and modifying the stock one was the way he recommended. If it doesn't work, it will be back to the drawing board, I suppose, lol.

So while the swingarm is being done, I've been getting tidbits in the mail here and there.

qemabygy.jpg

V-rod headlight bracket. Keeping with the old bike-new tech theme.

Love the fab work being put into this. Seems time consuming and a drag though. Reason I've kept away from this build, to read up as if it's happened all in one weekend haha... Well where do you stand at now?
Been awhile since your last post man

Gotta say it's coming along nicely and cool seeing Cam (rusty olives owner, if I'm correct, i believe?) keeping tabs on this too.
Still itching to buy myself a CB550 especially seeing your updates, but have to wait out till the summer time. Have a few parts coming in beforehand though. Well keep at it man

Thanks Chris. I've gotten a little side tracked with work and daughters in honor society and running club, but the "bomber" is still very alive and well! I should have some updates here pretty soon. Ordered some parts, having the swing arm split and spread, so everything else "should" just be a piece if cake from here on out....

~Ron.

Sweet, can't wait, hope you have several pics to share. I look forward to the updates. Well stay busy and happy man!

Back
Top Bottom