74 and 75 CB360 tracker - Need to get some pics done of this.

diesel450

"Fast with a past"
DTT BOTM WINNER
Okay, so over the summer both myself and my shop mate Tom each picked up a basket case 360. His had a great tank and a junk motor, mine had been rattle canned entirely flat black but the motor turned over and it is basically complete albeit in boxes. We're both involved with multiple projects but he ponied up the dough to build this and I'm doing the bulk of the work so here we go. I should have a bunch of 360 parts left over too so let me know what you need.

The goal is a Heiwa mc style tracker. I'm thinking motor and wheels and exhaust blacked out with a gloss black frame and a deep copper (maybe metallic?) paint and pin striping on the tank and fenders. No chrome any where!!

after an hour with wrenches and high lifes;
IMG_0338.jpg

after a couple hours with the grinder and cutting wheel;
ca4d7990.jpg

600495e9.jpg

a few pounds shed here;
fb952d59.jpg

You can't really see it here but I cut a few inches of length off the end of the frame. It leaves the tubes open and I thought about capping them but decided I want to put turn signals in there. I think I've seen this done before. Anybody got a source for some little round LEDs?

More later Frame is all stripped need to get pics.

Re: 74 and 75 CB360 tracker (and I use that term loosely) build. pics up!!

Good stuff Diesel. ill be watching forn sure. Whatcha doin with the unused frame/title?

That frame will be available once I'm out of the woods on this. Its in great shape too, better actually than this one. this one has a couple dings in the front down tube and one motor mount was cracked. I decided to use it as I wanted the practice with the welder. There will be a parts motor basically complete and a set of wheels and a front end as well as a bunch of bits and pieces.

I did that with turn signals/brake lights. I picked some (non-leds) from radioshack for like $3 each. Plenty bright.

o6m9ok.jpg

Ethanol said:
I did that with turn signals/brake lights. I picked some (non-leds) from radioshack for like $3 each. Plenty bright.

o6m9ok.jpg

Ethanol, who made that seat? It's exactly what I'm looking for....

Ethanol - cool, I'll check that out.

More progress today. got the frame pretty far along, had a ding in the front down tube so I found a piece of metal tubing that I could slide down in and then rap through with a hammer. This took most of the dent out. (pretty minor dings but enough that it might be a concern) I then drilled a couple holes through the outer tube and welded the two tubes together. This should reinforce the down tube pretty well. I'm going to weld more filler material in to the ding and smooth that out which should also add some strength. didn't get pics of that.

I also removed the ugly rear seat "hoop" and am starting to install a better looking one.

This one shows the angle I want before cutting the rest of the frame.
fa440bc4.jpg

first attempt at fitting. Its going to work but I want the angle more laid back. quick fix next session.
c28de781.jpg

Louie, I made it. It was super easy.

j5xx0o.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Nice! Nice Vespa too! for sale? What is the blue one behind the front tire?

Yeah we got a few scooters at the shop!

scooterbonanza.jpg

The blue bike in the pic above is an old Sachs moped.

We have too many bikes but they are for sale as we fix them up!

diesel450 said:
That frame will be available once I'm out of the woods on this.

Please keep me in mind sir... I just picked up a mostly complete 360, but someone at some point decided to "hardtail" the frame. Its a hillbilly hack job at best. Unrepairable for sure.

If I don't use it its yours.

Ethanol - shit, too bad you're in, is that New Mexico? Looks like quite a few options in the yard there.

Yeah my buddies used to be Vespa mechanics and almost all of my friends ride some combination of scooter/motorcycle. It's pretty great.

If you ever come out to NM I'll hook you up with one of the scoots and we can grab a beer.

im gettin in the car right now!

fo-shizzle ??

Got the fender bracket/rear hoop finished today. My welding is a fucking disgrace. I'm still in the gob it on and grind it down phase. I'm signing up for a class asap in the mean time no structural welding, only superficial brackets and tabs. Anyway, I think the angle is correct now and that its starting to take shape. Still need to trim the fender a bit.

4c7a4da1.jpg

4160ca58.jpg

About to drop some serious coin, mostly at dime city. I want everything I can think that this thing needs in house before I start assembly. goal is to have this done by the end of January.

I'm wanting to use the shinko 705's for tires. The selection for 18" rims is limited to 120/80 and 4.10" The 120's are H rated, can I put a 120 on a stock 360 front rim? need to look in to that.

Lookin' great man, keep us posted!

Alright boys the chopping and grinding is getting close to done.

0f9c55d0.jpg

bdd72fe9.jpg

there is still a lot of trimming and sanding to do but I think the fender lines are looking good.

First issue has arisen; looking at running a fat front tire and I don't think it will fit in the 360 forks. I'm wanting shinko 705's and they only come 120/80 for an 18" rim. I've got an extra rear rim that I can use up front but I don't think the tire will fit in the forks. What is being used for front ends in these little bikes to fit these large front tires? I'm game for a front end swap if need be! I really don't want to use the firestone type tires as what I read says they don't perform that great but maybe they are narrower?

I bet itll fit. If you dont run the fender theres a decent amount of room between the forks.

Back
Top Bottom