Deus Ex Machina makes high-end motorcycles and loses money on each one

Mr_Dunev

I have no idea what I am doing
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-deus-motorcycles-20150124-story.html#page=1

750x422

Ha, he loses money on the bikes but makes money selling BS.

More power to him if he can find a market for it.

I shalt pay dearly for what I am about to say...

I see nothing in this that is that damn great. In fact I see works of art (as folks say) that far better Mr Dues's hired works. Not mine of course, but there are guys that build motors that run like a symphony and sound just as damn good in my opinion, somewhere in every state in the Union someone has a jewel in the shed that you may never see, but they exist.

Marketing IS what these folks have now and a line of linens that sell for far to high a price for the dirty fingernail crowd such as I.

I digress :eek:

"Lifestyle" -- and $259 jeans.

The shop in Bali is pretty cool, there are lot fewer big displacement bikes over there so they're mostly 250cc and under, and it's a cool scene. I've been by this shop, nice enough folks, but I prefer the company of people who would be able to pick up a bike and get it running for $259.

This is my business strategy in some respects, but on a far smaller scale. Build a couple bikes and TRY to break even. Build a brand for custom parts and for helping guys over the hard parts like the welding.

Sell parts, sell stickers, sell t-shirts. Fix some bikes on the side as well. Flip some bikes. Not full time though.

The "builds" and the bikes will never make the $$$$ to pay the way. Harley Davidson does it so why can't i? lol

It's the best business plan going... fuck the product... sell the swag.

I am in manufacturing as my day job and we used to give away hats and T-shirts... not anymore you get a flashlight or some old diodes and an IC on a chunk of PCB that blinks when you drop it. As I said man... The marketing department IS the new sales staff.

Motorcycling has always had a massive marketing and lifestyle component, with a thriving clothing and accessory market. Nothing new about our current market except we have the internet and dont have to order from the back of a magazine or buy the HD or Indian sweater from the dealership.

I guess when you consider the millions companies spend on Super Bowl ads- even going broke for the one opportunity to advertise on that platform- $60K is not that much money. What-a-bargain!

deviant said:
I guess when you consider the millions companies spend on Super Bowl ads- even going broke for the one opportunity to advertise on that platform- $60K is not that much money. What-a-bargain!

My Tee-Shirt promo video cost me $0 last year. I plan to do a new promo this spring (with double the budget ;D ! )

http://youtu.be/pLhCiSjNwVw

deviant said:

I was more talking about me spending 60k on a deus advertisement haha.
Ichiban Moto said:
My Tee-Shirt promo video cost me $0 last year. I plan to do a new promo this spring (with double the budget ;D ! )

http://youtu.be/pLhCiSjNwVw

This of the new season of Portlandia yeah?

With all the manhours it takes to finish a one-off bike it is NEVER going to make a profit.
Unless it goes for hysterical amounts of money. Henry ford invented the assembly line for a reason. Mass produced bikes are profitable for a reason. Don't quit your day job if you want to build and sell customs. 0,0001% of the guys who try are able to live off it.

Before the hype you built your bike for yourself, then sold it at a loss to get some cash for your next build because You wanted something else for Yourself.
I really don't get why everyone wants to be a pro bike builder, i do it cause its fun, and for learning and developing my skills.

Back
Top Bottom